• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Doris Day: Images of a Hollywood Icon

5RWFxs.jpg

Hardcover ‏ : ‎ 256 pages
available Jan. 25, 2022

DORIS DAY - IMAGES OF A HOLLYWOOD ICON offers hundreds of photos, including glamorous publicity portraits, behind-the-scenes images with famous friends and colleagues, and glimpses into her personal life. Longtime fan Paul McCartney and daughter Stella have contributed a foreword. Turner Classic Movies host Eddie Mueller and singer-historian Michael Feinstein have contributed appreciations of Day's motion picture and singing careers, respectively. A complete filmography and discography are also included.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
20 hours ago, noah80 said:

5RWFxs.jpg

Hardcover ‏ : ‎ 256 pages
available Jan. 25, 2022

DORIS DAY - IMAGES OF A HOLLYWOOD ICON offers hundreds of photos, including glamorous publicity portraits, behind-the-scenes images with famous friends and colleagues, and glimpses into her personal life. Longtime fan Paul McCartney and daughter Stella have contributed a foreword. Turner Classic Movies host Eddie Mueller and singer-historian Michael Feinstein have contributed appreciations of Day's motion picture and singing careers, respectively. A complete filmography and discography are also included.

According to their site, Barnes and Nobles has pre-ordering for the book for 49.99

I always loved this photo:

ea4d17d81efff677c5401294a9f48c6a.jpg

But I think Doris thought it was cruel to dye the dogs, possibly spurring her to a life of helping animals in need. My hairdresser routinely dyes her St Bernard's fur...only cruel if you think bathing a dog is cruel. (note the areas around their eyes are left white)

• Like 1
On 11/2/2021 at 1:15 PM, Hibi said:

I know what I'll be spending my Christmas money on........

The site would not let me on as lavenderblue19 so right now I'm Stanwyck22 but I tried to pm you and it said not accepting pm's. Hibi, pm me on Stanwyck22.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • 5 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, noah80 said:

According to Amazon the release date is now June 24, 2022.   Also about her house: "The yellow house was listed at $7.4 million after her death in 2019 but recently sold for $5.7 million. "

That must be one of the very few houses in California that has declined in value.

17 hours ago, noah80 said:

According to Amazon the release date is now June 24, 2022.   Also about her house: "The yellow house was listed at $7.4 million after her death in 2019 but recently sold for $5.7 million. "

On its website, Doris Day's realtor had a tour of her house and grounds high on a hillside overlooking a golf course near Carmel.  I visited it often and enjoyed the tour each time.  

• Like 2

Her house only had a small amount of bedrooms. Like 4 or 5. And was not a big mansion, so that probably was why they could not get the asking price. It does have a guest house though and a gatehouse.

18 hours ago, noah80 said:

Sorry to hear the date has been pushed back. You'd think they'd time the release to her 100th birthday in April! :(

On 12/3/2021 at 1:01 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

A couple of weeks ago, on Million Dollar Listings  LA  they showed the house Doris  had owned years ago in Bev Hills. It was purchased for 6.5 million in 2012 and sold for 11 million by the owner. 

Compared with today's Beverly Hills' properties, it wasn't much of a house.  But the large backyard was fantastic.  I believe the woman who bought it was planning on tearing it down and building new.

I recall seeing clips of when Doris appeared on "The Tonight Show" with Johnny Carson in 1974 and he (understandably) couldn't keep his eyes off her boobs.  She was wearing a blue pantsuit with no bra and her upper frontals were >busting< out of her blouse.  She (covered) them a little bit during the interview, but if you watch it 'they' didn't stay covered long.  Doris looked quite fetching.  Definitely not a 'sexless neuter' or 'eternal virgin'.   

• Like 1

A note about the word "virginity"  in today's world.   Doris probably didn't care much for the word anyway.  (I think she was baffled by Oscar Levant's stupid comment "I knew Doris Day before she was a virgin")

"Virginity is a patriarchal creation used to control and devalue women. The act of “sex” can mean entirely different things to each person, so “virginity” is just as subjective. Placing worth in something as intangible as the concept of virginity has acted as a vehicle of many current harmful ideologies and attitudes."

"Societal standards, largely controlled by men’s desires, enforces the idea that women are only seen as desirable if they are “pure” and have had no sexual relations prior to a relationship. Virginity is not as important for men as it is for women because the concept of virginity is rooted in misogyny. It is used to control women’s sexuality and determine their value."

"Virginity is just an idea, and ideas can change. It is sexist, wrongfully linked to purity, heteronormative and sustains the patriarchy. Reframing the idea of virginity will allow us to develop healthier and more inclusive views on sex and sexuality."

https://www.ntdaily.com/we-need-to-destroy-the-concept-of-virginity/

Definition of heteronormative
: of, relating to, or based on the attitude that heterosexuality is the only normal and natural expression of sexuality

• Like 1
On 12/4/2021 at 3:24 PM, Mr. Gorman said:

I recall seeing clips of when Doris appeared on "The Tonight Show" with Johnny Carson in 1974 and he (understandably) couldn't keep his eyes off her boobs.  She was wearing a blue pantsuit with no bra and her upper frontals were >busting< out of her blouse.  She (covered) them a little bit during the interview, but if you watch it 'they' didn't stay covered long.  Doris looked quite fetching.  Definitely not a 'sexless neuter' or 'eternal virgin'.   

I remember that too. She was braless!

• Like 1

from Doris Day Animal Foundation.  Hopefully this will mean that the book will be out in April and not June 2022 (there might even be a braless photo for you)

"We are excited to announce a new book: Doris Day - Images of a Hollywood Icon, scheduled to be released near Doris’ birthday. This beautiful book from the Doris Day Estate contains hundreds of rare and previously unpublished photographs from Doris’ personal collection, offering an intimate glimpse into her life. Included are family photos, behind-the-scenes images with famous friends and colleagues, and glamorous publicity portraits."

• Haha 1