Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I hate to admit it but . . . I love this movie!

Toto

Recently I watched a couple of movies on TCM that I hate to admit - but I just love!  They're just fun and entertaining.  One is "Pillow Talk" with Doris Day and Rock Hudson.  This is a silly movie but I love Hudson's fake character in the film - a Texas millionaire.  The scene in the piano bar where he is trying to seduce the Doris Day character is great.

I also saw the movie "Jason and the Argonauts".  I felt like a kid again thinking about how cool all those monsters/mythological creatures are.  I'm always amazed by the fighting skeletons and medusa.

Any films that you love but might hesitate to tell others?   Below:  Piano bar scene from "Pillow Talk" and scenes from "Jason and the Argonauts".

image.jpeg.09caade6e15be969ba7165b5da23e858.jpeg                       Greek Mythology of Jason and the Argonauts, Athena, and Hydra | by Halle  Dodson | Medium    Ray Harryhausen – Deneroff.com    

image.jpeg.827efe302fc76c63cccd6da3259ce104.jpeg

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, noah80 said:

How can anyone forget that "Ya!Ya! Roly! Poly!" song?

I like "You Lied" even more, which closes out this scene.  The look the pianist Perry (Perry Blackwell) gives Rex Stetson (Hudson) is priceless.   Ms. Blackwell is only on screen for a minute or two, but she packs a lot into that short time.

• Like 9

I have to admit it but... I love this topic.  Generally, I'm not reticent to tell people I like a particular movie; I figure each to his own taste!  Usually what happens is that I find myself explaining to folks -- younger ones, I mean -- what it is about  certain movies that make them interesting to me.  More often than not I'll have mentioned a movie in conversation, and the guys I worked with would roll their eyes and go, "You like that stuff?"  

That's why I'm glad, Toto, that you bring up "Pillow Talk" and "Jason and the Argonauts."   The Doris and Rock films are just plain fun; and it's really no secret that the Doris Day character finally  falls for Rex Stetson's ersatz Lone Star charms!  I don't know where she gets this rap for perpetual innocence when in each of her movies of this genre she only calls it all off when she finds out she's been duped!

Now, as far as "Jason and the Argonauts" go, I do love this movie.  For me, there is no greater special effect than stop motion animation.  It reminds me that real human beings are involved in making this stuff.  And it, too, reminds me of when I was a kid going to Saturday afternoon movies.

I'm still trying to think of something that I would sheepishly admit to liking; I know there's got to be one.  I'll get back to you on this.  Again, it is a fun topic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Toto said:

One is "Pillow Talk" with Doris Day and Rock Hudson.  This is a silly movie but I love Hudson's fake character in the film - a Texas millionaire.  The scene in the piano bar where he is trying to seduce the Doris Day character is great.

I love the scene in which Rock Hudson is trying to cram himself into that tiny sports car. Hilarious! 😄

• Like 3

How could anyone hate Pillow Talk? It's witty, funny and Doris' clothes and jewelry, Perry Black at the piano playing and singing You Lied and You'll be Sorry and the look she gives Rock was great and make it a worthwhile watch. I've seen Pillow Talk dozens of times over the years and I never get tired of it. Doris and Rock were great together, terrific chemistry and Thelma Ritter is hilarious, throw in Tony Randall and it's a fun film. Many years ago Sydney Pollack was the guest host on The Essentials, he admitted he had never seen it before and was so glad he finally got to see it. He loved the film, He talked about how at a roundtable of screenwriters, Pillow Talk was brought up many times, mentioning how funny the film was.

Lover Come Back is another Rock and Doris film that's so much fun. the weakest of the 3 I think is Send Me No Flowers, but still fun. Watching Doris and Rock together, wish they had made more films together for us to enjoy.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

pillow talk...isn't that the one with audrey meadows working at an automat? I love those chrome-plated panel doors.

nothing like 20th century decor.

:D

That Touch of Mink, with Cary Grant...

This is the one, I think, that solidified Ms. Day's image as the 40 year old virgin, summed up by a quote supposedly attributed to Oscar Levant: "I knew Doris Day before she was a virgin."  This film spends most of its time having Day and Meadows in a dither over the prospect of having sex with Grant (without the benefit of marriage), to the point that Day's character gets hives over the thought of it when he takes her to Bermuda.  And for good measure, there's a subplot with Gig Young worrying his therapist that he might be gay.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

That Touch of Mink, with Cary Grant...

This is the one, I think, that solidified Ms. Day's image as the 40 year old virgin, summed up by a quote supposedly attributed to Oscar Levant: "I knew Doris Day before she was a virgin."  This film spends most of its time having Day and Meadows in a dither over the prospect of having sex with Grant (without the benefit of marriage), to the point that Day's character gets hives over the thought of it when he takes her to Bermuda.  And for good measure, there's a subplot with Gig Young worrying his therapist that he might be gay.

And which now brings to mind one of Johnny Carson's Carnac The Magnificent lines:

Carnac.jpg

"Pickeled herring...Dr. Christain Barnard...Doris Day."

hqdefault.jpg

"Name a sturgeon, a surgeon, and a virgin."

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I might hesitate to some that I like the early '70's film BILLY JACK.    Sure, not great cinema, but a fun, nostalgic look back on the misconceptions held about the "counterculture".  And an early precursor  to martial arts in movies.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I might hesitate to some that I like the early '70's film BILLY JACK.    Sure, not great cinema, but a fun, nostalgic look back on the misconceptions held about the "counterculture".  And an early precursor  to martial arts in movies.  ;) 

Sepiatone

And filmed in Prescott (pronounced "PRESS-ket" by the locals...pronounce it "Press-SCOTT" and the locals know you aren't one) Arizona.

Btw, another movie of some repute filmed there would be director Sam Peckinpah's Junior Bonner starring Steve McQueen.

• Thanks 1

As a child, my cousin got to be an extra, by default, in "Junior Bonner".    She was hanging around the famous courthouse square in "Presket" (ha) and ended up in a crowd scene, I think.   Love everything about that town, the pines, Thumb Butte, and on and on.  Great location for a movie.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lilypond said:

As a child, my cousin got to be an extra, by default, in "Junior Bonner".    She was hanging around the famous courthouse square in "Presket" (ha) and ended up in a crowd scene, I think.   Love everything about that town, the pines, Thumb Butte, and on and on.  Great location for a movie.

She's probably in the 4th of July parade scene. As you probably know Lily, Prescott is home of the country's oldest rodeo which takes place during that holiday.

Yep, it's a quaint little town, alright. It was also where my wife and I first retired to after working at LAX for many years. Lived in Prescott for two years before moving here to Sedona about ten years ago now.

• Like 1

I do enjoy those Doris Day films.   Down With Love is a great modern tribute to those films.

I still have a soft spot for those Harryhausen stop motion epics, which is why I'm going to go with the 2004 film Van Helsing, because it's so very much in the spirit of those films.  No great acting, no profound insights into the human condition,  and truth be told, as dumb as a bag of rocks.  It's about watching a bunch of CGI monsters do their stuff.   See also Reign of Fire.  Dragons, vs. attack helicopters.

• Like 2

It's  been years since I saw it but I remember enjoying THE LAND UNKNOWN, one of those low budget adventure films with cheap special effects in which the cast is running around in a jungle setting with hokey looking dinosaurs. The T Rex, in particular, was obviously some guy in a suit. There are quite a few films of this type, of course, going right back to the silent version of LOST WORLD.

LAND UNKNOWN will never be regarded as a classic but if you're in a mood for a touch of adventure mixed with a few unintentional laughs you could do worse. Here are a couple of images to give you an idea of the "thrills" to be found in this one.

The Land Unknown (1957) was based on fact? | Falcon at the Movies

CityStompers — The Land Unknown (1957)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Kind of a fan of Disney’s John Carter. Its problem was the timing of its release. Diz was in the process of acquiring the Star Wars franchise and JCM got scuttled and neglected. It was a very enjoyable film with more animation than the average Disney fully animated release, had a great score by Michael Giacchino, and the IP was 100 years old. Ironically, Star Wars was heavily influenced by the John Carter books by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

• Like 2

Blue State (2007)

I love this cute film (initially I didn't think I was going to like it... probably because of its low budget). Shot in San Francisco and Winnipeg, Canada.  Some jokes about Winnipeg (where Anna Paquin was born)

marryacanadian.ca

DARGO,  you are sitting pretty in beautiful Sedona!  What great places you and your wife chose to retire to--  Prescott and then Sedona, Arizona.

Among many other wonderful aspects to the region, I love that scenic drive from Prescott, up through ghostly, cliff-hanging Jerome, AZ,  up to the stunning red rocks and Sedona.   One of the more fascinating drives in the Southwest....

• Like 1

Let's see, I don't really hate to admit it, but I love the utterly soapy  Taylor and Burton "stranded-in-airport" outing,  "The V.I.P's".     Maggie Smith, Rod Taylor, adorable Margaret Rutherford.   La Liz looks so ripely beautiful in this, and her character is quite sympathetic.  Even Louis Jourdan, as the would-be "other man" is wryly self-deprecating and charming, in a raffish way. 

I could be wrong, but I think maybe Terence Rattigan, or someone similar, wrote it, and it rings all the bells!   I must watch it every year or so...    

• Like 4

16 hours ago, PhillyCinephile said:

I'm not ashamed to admit it, but because I come across as a film snob, people are surprised when I tell them that I absolutely love MISS CONGENIALITY.  

Sandra Bullock is the modern equivalent of actresses like Irene Dunne and Jean Arthur who could move effortlessly between comedy and drama. My personal fave comedy of hers is Two Weeks Notice, in which she and Hugh Grant sparred brilliantly, she as a socially-conscious lawyer and he as an entitled and rather useless "executive" who needed her help more than he knew.

A movie which I love but which seems to have made no impression on the movie-going public, so I generally get blank looks, is Isn't She Great? with Bette Midler as Jacqueline Susann and Nathan Lane as her agent/husband Irving Mansfield. OK, she looks almost nothing like the Jackie who was so publicly ubiquitous, so I guess that's why it got a big pass. But it has a great Paul Rudnick script and the supporting cast is stellar: Stockard Channing as her would-be legendary actress friend (think Vera Charles), John Cleese as her publisher looking for a "next big thing" and an amazing David Hyde Pierce as the poor guy assigned to be her editor. It's enormously clever, but heart-felt too as it moved into her slow death by cancer. Midler and Lane were at the top of their respective games and Channing was brilliant, as in a hospital bedside scene in which she simultaneously checks the labels on Jackie's prescription bottles, "comforts" her friend and positions herself for imaginary photographers should they materialize. Pierce handled high comedy and genuinely moving pathos equally well, a real feat that I'm not sure I expected of him. Love this movie, though I usually hesitate to bring it up because it mostly elicits the "Bette Midler doesn't look like Jackie" response. Too bad, because I think it's a treasure. 

• Like 2