Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lucy Podcast The Plot Thickens

Has anybody besides myself been listening to this? Ben Mankowitz does an ad for it between films from time to time. You can listen to it on your phone or PC. It is a documentary about Lucille Ball and is narrated by Ben. It's a detailed look into her life, plenty of background info and interviews from relatives and herself. "...the story of Lucille Ball as never heard before, from her early years as a model to her triumphant takeover of television. "

I've been listening to this podcast.  It is excellent and while I already knew a lot of the information presented thus far, there have been little things here and there that are new to me.  I also love hearing the sound bytes featuring Lucy, her brother Fred, her cousin Cleo, and other people like that who were actually part of Lucy's life and could give first-hand accounts versus just repeating facts that they learned from somewhere. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I've been listening to this podcast.  It is excellent and while I already knew a lot of the information presented thus far, there have been little things here and there that are new to me.  I also love hearing the sound bytes featuring Lucy, her brother Fred, her cousin Cleo, and other people like that who were actually part of Lucy's life and could give first-hand accounts versus just repeating facts that they learned from somewhere. 

Are you back from vacation?     Hope you didn't get caught in the So Cal rain storm.   

26 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Are you back from vacation?     Hope you didn't get caught in the So Cal rain storm.   

I am back from vacation.  We got caught in the rain a little bit on Monday, the day we went to Universal Studios.  But it was only raining somewhat hard for an hour or so, then it wasn't raining anymore.  The awesome thing about it was that it cleared out the park and we walked onto every ride.  Remember, I'm from Oregon, so while it was raining, it wasn't unbearable and I had packed my Columbia rain jacket. Though obviously, I would have preferred that it hadn't been raining.  I was in So. Cal from 10/17 through 10/27 and only ran into rain for an hour or so on 10/25. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I am back from vacation.  We got caught in the rain a little bit on Monday, the day we went to Universal Studios.  But it was only raining somewhat hard for an hour or so, then it wasn't raining anymore.  The awesome thing about it was that it cleared out the park and we walked onto every ride.  Remember, I'm from Oregon, so while it was raining, it wasn't unbearable and I had packed my Columbia rain jacket. Though obviously, I would have preferred that it hadn't been raining.  I was in So. Cal from 10/17 through 10/27 and only ran into rain for an hour or so on 10/25. 

Did you get to visit Larry Edmunds Bookshop?      Pick up a copy of The Films of Errol Flynn?

Anyhow,  I hope you had a good time. 

2 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Did you get to visit Larry Edmunds Bookshop?      Pick up a copy of The Films of Errol Flynn?

Anyhow,  I hope you had a good time. 

I did go to Larry Edmunds. I think I already own The Films of Errol Flynn.  I did get a different Errol book though. It’s a biography of him and his son. I also got Eddie Muller’s book about Gun Crazy. 

• Like 2

I'm really enjoying the Podcast. Like speedy, I know a lot about Lucy so not much is new to me. But I also love the personal accounts that hold tidbits of information from others' points of view. Listening to the story fleshes out some charactors better than reading, such as Lucy's gangster boyfriend. 

Lucy is such a strong charactor, I can picture her doing all those wild & crazy things easily, from years of seeing her myriad of wild expressions on TV. Lucy had a lot of hard heartbreak in her life but she so embraced what life offers and ate it up with more vivaciousness than anybody.

Her determination and motivation is inspiring.

I think TCM productions are really top notch, even their "This Month" 3 minute collages are so wonderfully done. We really should stop complaining, TCM rules. (although I vehemently hate the trite music stock bites in the podcasts 🤷‍♂️)

• Like 2
23 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I did go to Larry Edmunds. I think I already own The Films of Errol Flynn.  I did get a different Errol book though. It’s a biography of him and his son. I also got Eddie Muller’s book about Gun Crazy. 

So glad you got to Larry Edmunds.  Such a great bookstore!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I don't know if anyone else is still listening to this but I just finished the last episode.  This season was a vast improvement over the Bonfire of the Vanities installment.  Ben Mankiewicz seems to be a real Lucy fan.   

However, I was wondering why wasn't Desi, jr. interviewed for this podcast.  Their daughter was featured heavily in the last two episodes. Did he and his mom have a falling out?  He's still alive but maybe he's in poor health, I don't know.  Just wondering if anyone here might have an idea.

• Thanks 1

I just finished listening to this too. This was an incredibly well done radio documentary-it covered all aspects of Lucy's life honestly & fairly with perfect interjections of interviews with those who knew her. Plus all the snippets of Lucy being interviewed really rounded out her story. Thankfully it was never nasty or exploitative, instead it was respectful & kind.

While the familiar middle of her life was exciting to hear about, the earliest episodes and the last two episodes of this podcast had moved me to tears. Tough when you're listening during work!

I too wondered about Desi Jr. & feel badly he wasn't up to it. Boy, when I heard Lucy singing in the last episode, I thought, "Could she have any better genetics?" Double beauty/brains/talent. Lucky. Nice that she's mellowed & equalized her view of her parents' strengths & weaknesses - that comes with age after years of blaming parents for their shortcomings. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1