Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is the 1938 film "Goodbye Broadway" a lost film?

LsDoorMat

I was doing some research on actress Mary Philbin and one of her talking roles and last roles was in Universal's 1929 film "The Shannons of Broadway", starring James Gleason and his wife. That film is lost, although there are indications that the sound discs may survive. This film was remade in  1938, also by Universal, as "Goodbye Broadway". I can't find this film on any list of lost films, but imdb  has zero user reviews for it. Does anybody know if the 1938 film is also lost? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2021 at 12:05 PM, LsDoorMat said:

I was doing some research on actress Mary Philbin and one of her talking roles and last roles was in Universal's 1929 film "The Shannons of Broadway", starring James Gleason and his wife. That film is lost, although there are indications that the sound discs may survive. This film was remade in  1938, also by Universal, as "Goodbye Broadway". I can't find this film on any list of lost films, but imdb  has zero user reviews for it. Does anybody know if the 1938 film is also lost? 

It is not lost. I can find no evidence that it was ever made available for television, but a friend has a 16mm print that may have been struck for rental purposes, and I have a video tape made from that print. So anyway, at least one print survives. Although Universal has done nothing with the movie (TV, video, etc.) I have to assume they do have material on it in their vaults/archives.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings