Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Alicia Malone, Tiny Ooops

No one told Alicia Malone how to pronounce Quatermass Xpermient?

She called it the "quaRTERmass experiment" during her introduction to another Hammer film this afternoon, Horror of Dracula.

No big deal, just a little fun. Happy Halloween everyone! 

5 minutes ago, Alfred said:

No one told Alicia Malone how to pronounce Quatermass Xpermient?

She called it the "quaRTERmass experiment" during her introduction to another Hammer film this afternoon, Horror of Dracula.

No big deal, just a little fun. Happy Halloween everyone! 

I'm guessing with her accent, it would probably sound nearly the same whether it was quater or quarter...

I tend not to watch the intros/outros, but I watched part of Alicia Malone's comments related to Night of the Demon and Horror Hotel last night. I've never watched her comments before, and I'm afraid I wasn't impressed. She spouted the usual cliches about showing the monster in the former movie. Even if you've never heard those remarks, there are so many more interesting comments that can be made about that great film, and about Horror Hotel as well. Both movies lend themselves to discussions of folklore, mood, and technique.  Very disappointing, but happy to see the films shown.

• Like 3

Last night when TCM scheduled "Horror Hotel" the print used was actually the THE CITY OF THE DEAD title.  This makes a bit of difference in the footage you see. 

HORROR HOTEL was the U.S. title and is missing over 90 seconds of footage as compared to the original UK version under the "City of the Dead" title. 

You can read about the print differences on both Wikipedia and the IMDb.  They are accurate.  Having seen both versions of the movie I concur that the differences between prints are there.

Years ago I bought a VHS of "Horror Hotel" on Anchor Bay and watched it.  I enjoyed the movie and later decided to read about it on the IMDb and Wikipedia both and noted the 'Alternate Version' mentioned on the IMDb  -and- the 'Deleted Lines' section on Wikipedia which goes in to detail about what's missing from the "Horror Hotel" print.  

I decided to go find and buy the video release of "City of the Living Dead" on the VCI label and see for myself.  → There is definitely more dialogue at the beginning between Patricia Jessel and Valentine Dyall when "Elizabeth Selwyn" gets burned at the stake.  I suspect the U.S. censors of the time were displeased with some of Elizabeth's curses at the villagers and her desire to work for Satan eternally so several lines were deleted from the U.S. 'cut' of the movie.  

To sum up, the movie is not interchangeable with the titles.  TCM aired the original British version last night under the CITY OF THE DEAD title which has about 2 minutes more footage than the movie does under the American 'HORROR HOTEL' title. 

I enjoy watching CITY OF THE DEAD.  I watched it again last night, too.  Anyone wanna go to Whitewood on vacation?  :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
26 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Last night when TCM scheduled "Horror Hotel" the print used was actually the THE CITY OF THE DEAD title.  This makes a bit of difference in the footage you see. 

HORROR HOTEL was the U.S. title and is missing over 90 seconds of footage as compared to the original UK version under the "City of the Dead" title. 

You can read about the print differences on both Wikipedia and the IMDb.  They are accurate.  Having seen both versions of the movie I concur that the differences between prints are there.

Years ago I bought a VHS of "Horror Hotel" on Anchor Bay and watched it.  I enjoyed the movie and later decided to read about it on the IMDb and Wikipedia both and noted the 'Alternate Version' mentioned on the IMDb  -and- the 'Deleted Lines' section on Wikipedia which goes in to detail about what's missing from the "Horror Hotel" print.  

I decided to go find and buy the video release of "City of the Living Dead" on the VCI label and see for myself.  → There is definitely more dialogue at the beginning between Patricia Jessel and Valentine Dyall when "Elizabeth Selwyn" gets burned at the stake.  I suspect the U.S. censors of the time were displeased with some of Elizabeth's curses at the villagers and her desire to work for Satan eternally so several lines were deleted from the U.S. 'cut' of the movie.  

To sum up, the movie is not interchangeable with the titles.  TCM aired the original British version last night under the CITY OF THE DEAD title which has about 2 minutes more footage than the movie does under the American 'HORROR HOTEL' title. 

I enjoy watching CITY OF THE DEAD.  I watched it again last night, too.  Anyone wanna go to Whitewood on vacation?  :) 

I also have the VCI DVD of City of the Dead. It's a great film. Venetia Stevenson who played Nan is the daughter of Anna Lee and Robert Stevenson (director of Mary Poppins).  I love Valentine Dyall -- I saw him on stage as Dr. Rance in Joe Orton's What the Butler Saw many years ago. He was hilarious!

Patricia Jessel is terrific as Elizabeth Selwyn/Mrs. Newless. She later played Domina in the film of A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum.

MV5BNWZhMjQ0MDktNjMyYy00NzNjLThiMzYtZjFj

• Like 2

The intros and outros have become a real challenge for me. I just hate the drifting camera. It makes me queasy and also angry at the needlessness of it. The drifting camera and all the background squiggles and other colorful graphics remind me of a sports channel. Yesterday, while watching football with my husband, I noticed the same effects sliding behind the sports guys. I would say it's appropriate for a sports channel, but only distracting and awful on TCM. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, unwatchable said:

Due to the ridiculous drifting camera, I don't watch that stuff anymore. Actually, it's turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I haven't heard Ben Mankiewicz's babbling in quite some time. 😁

Just now, Twokeets said:

The intros and outros have become a real challenge for me. I just hate the drifting camera. It makes me queasy and also angry at the needlessness of it. The drifting camera and all the background squiggles and other colorful graphics remind me of a sports channel. Yesterday, while watching football with my husband, I noticed the same effects sliding behind the sports guys. I would say it's appropriate for a sports channel, but only distracting and awful on TCM. 

That "drifting camera"  doesn't bother me much.  And probably because, like UNWATCHABLE,  I don't watch or  pay any attention to the intros to most movies.  I might lean back and "rest" my eyes and just listen to the talk, but all those movie intro'd by Ben and that hyper comic nearly wore out my remote's "mute" button.

Sepiatone

The drifting camera doesn't bother me. As I've said, I rarely watch the intros/outros. But perhaps someone can answer this question for me: Are the speakers scripted, or are they assigned films due to their expertise, hence the comments are totally their own? Forgive my ignorance, you'd think I'd know this by now. Maybe it's a combo? 

I'm just wondering, in my rather harsh assessment of Ms. Malone (see above), was she assigned those two horror films because she has a special expertise/interest, or was she just assigned them and then given a script?

14 hours ago, Swithin said:

I'm just wondering, in my rather harsh assessment of Ms. Malone (see above), was she assigned those two horror films because she has a special expertise/interest, or was she just assigned them and then given a script?

I wonder how host are assigned,  period;   E.g.   they are given a time-slot,  programmers decide the films shown,  without regard to who the host would be and then the host is told the films that will be shown and they record (given a very limited outline-script)  OR  are films order and host are decided by the programmers as-one OR some other type of system?

• Like 1

I like Alicia (well, maybe not her fashion choices, but that's minor, lol) -- she's enthusiastic and passionate, plus we get some seemingly off-the-cuff comments about what was just shown.  (for HORROR HOTEL:  "I felt sorry for the telephone operator.  So many desperate calls")  Out of all the hosts Malone is my favorite. 

• Like 1
On 11/1/2021 at 10:24 AM, Mr. Gorman said:

One of my favorites.  Love the jazz music.   Patricia Jessel is truly frightening as the witch.  Valentine Dyall memorable in a smaller role as Jethro Keane (he also plays Hill House's caretaker in THE HAUNTING).  Christopher Lee is wasted, I feel.    And more fog in that village than ten Sherlock Holmes movies!

• Like 1

Apparently Ben and Eddie Mueller are no longer talking to one another and, on at least one occasion, had to be pulled apart before things turned physical. They now only communicate remotely. It's all over Alicia's accent. Ben likes it and Eddie doesn't. They get very passionate about things other than just movies in TCM Land.

Actually I'm bored and I just made that up. Would make a pretty feeble plot for a lousy movie, though, wouldn't it?

Eddie Muller and Ben Mankiewicz outro to Psycho on TCM - YouTube

"It's good."

"It's no good."

"No, you're no good."

"Say that to my face, why don't ya?"

Sorry, I got caught up in it again. I'm still bored.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
32 minutes ago, TomJH said:

"It's good."

"It's no good."

"No, you're no good."

"Say that to my face, why don't ya?"

Better yet, Ben would play the born-on-third-base obnoxious grad student who never got over all those swirlies and atomic wedgies he got in grade school, and whose rich uncle is always getting him out of jams. Eddie would play the dean of the school, a man with a heart of gold, who tries his best to get through to the spoiled student. In the end, though, he realizes it's pointless, because those who don't have to work for their place in this world will never change.

It's a Geek Tragedy. 😛

15 hours ago, unwatchable said:

Better yet, Ben would play the born-on-third-base obnoxious grad student who never got over all those swirlies and atomic wedgies he got in grade school, and whose rich uncle is always getting him out of jams. Eddie would play the dean of the school, a man with a heart of gold, who tries his best to get through to the spoiled student. In the end, though, he realizes it's pointless, because those who don't have to work for their place in this world will never change.

It's a Geek Tragedy. 😛

14 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Put in a scene where Eddie gets tied to a chair and GAGGED and I'm in!  ;) 

Sepiatone

How about a scene in which Eddie gets tied down, rolled over and then given an atomic w e d g i e by Alicia?

"Don't like my accent, eh, mate?" she beams, "This is what we do with punks where I come from. Welcome to our Noir Alley,"

• Haha 1

As long as we're endeavoring to create a "fake feud" between Ben and Eddie over Alicia's accent I think it should get more violent and ugly.  😈

BEN says "Eddie, I'm tired of arguing with you . . . suckle my bloated luv knuckle and shut the hell up!"

EDDIE replies "Listen, Scumby, what if I ch/op your /head/ off and tinkle down your neck stump?"  🩸

BEN says "You wouldn't dare you overstuffed punk-a*s*s  man-bit/ch!"

EDDIE says "GAME ON, BENJI!!!" 

Sage Wisdom:  They were once friends, but have turned bitter enemies over a chick and her accent.  When 'LIFE' called . . . they should have hung up!  [Whatever that means]. 

• Haha 1

Alicia's got them all beat in my humble opinion.   Plus, she's charming!  As a fan of New Wave I was very happy Malone got to host this series because frankly, who else could have, with any real credibility?  Oh, okay, perhaps Jacqueline Stewart but the poor woman is never let out of that gilded diversity cage long enough for us to reap the benefits of her film knowledge.  Also, Stewart (like Dave Karger) doesn't seem comfortable in front of the camera.  Very unfortunate.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

@BRONXGIRL:  You like fog, you say?  Don't forget about the very low-budget 1946 movie STRANGLER OF THE SWAMP. 

There's loads of nice swampy fog in that one! 

FOG!!!

Oooh, I'll check that one out, Mr. G.!   What about FOG ISLAND?