Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Contradicting Biden, top generals say they recommended a small force stay in Afghanistan

MovieMadness

Contradicting Biden, top generals say they recommended a small force stay in Afghanistan

Top military leaders said Tuesday that they had recommended to President Joe Biden that the U.S. keep 2,500 troops in Afghanistan even after the Aug. 31 withdrawal deadline, contradicting the president's assertion last month that his advisers did not tell him to leave a small military presence in the country.

Gen. Frank McKenzie, who oversaw the withdrawal as head of U.S. Central Command, and Gen. Mark Milley, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said in testimony before Congress that they had communicated that advice to the president.

Biden, however, was asked in an interview with ABC News in mid-August whether any of his military advisers told him to leave 2,500 troops in the country.

"No," Biden said. "No one said that to me that I can recall.”

McKenzie also said in his testimony to the Senate Armed Services Committee on Tuesday that he had held the view that a withdrawal of forces would "inevitably" lead to the collapse of the Afghan forces and government.

Milley confirmed later in the hearing that he agreed with the recommendation to leave behind a force of a few thousand troops.

Biden went against military recommendations and gave us our worst military debacle since Vietnam. FACT.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MovieMadness said:

Top military leaders said Tuesday that they had recommended to President Joe Biden that the U.S. keep 2,500 troops in Afghanistan even after the Aug. 31 withdrawal deadline, contradicting the president's assertion last month that his advisers did not tell him to leave a small military presence in the country.

Gen. Frank McKenzie, who oversaw the withdrawal as head of U.S. Central Command, and Gen. Mark Milley, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said in testimony before Congress that they had communicated that advice to the president.

Biden, however, was asked in an interview with ABC News in mid-August whether any of his military advisers told him to leave 2,500 troops in the country.

McKenzie also said in his testimony to the Senate Armed Services Committee on Tuesday that he had held the view that a withdrawal of forces would "inevitably" lead to the collapse of the Afghan forces and government.

Milley confirmed later in the hearing that he agreed with the recommendation to leave behind a force of a few thousand troops.

Biden went against military recommendations and gave us our worst military debacle since Vietnam. FACT.

It's over, give it up - the rest of the world and America have.  Besides, this is all old information.

As I explained before, and based on 36 years in the US Army and graduate studies, generals ALWAYS ask for more troops.  

Here again you are not clearly defining YOUR "debacle."  The Trump created withdrawal, not staying in Afghanistan, the Afghan war in general or what?

The only way it is worse than Vietnam is that US stayed longer and lost the war it was going to lose anyway.  The Afghan people, government and military are responsible for what happened in Afghanistan - they did not want to fight for their country.

Incidentally I was in both the Vietnam and Gulf Wars.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ElCid said:

HIGHWAY, what is confusing?

When you mark my posting with a confusion 😕,is it just a feeling to do that, or did you do it because you've examined the content of the post and the content of the post is really confusing to you ?

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

https://www.factcheck.org/2021/09/generals-contradict-biden-on-afghanistan-advice/

• Haha 1

They testified and confirmed it before Congress, Biden did not listen to the military in this debacle.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, HIGHWAY said:

When you mark my posting with a confusion 😕,is it just a feeling to do that, or did you do it because you've examined the content of the post and the content of the post is really confusing to you ?

That is why I also replied with a question.

21 minutes ago, MovieMadness said:

They testified and confirmed it before Congress, Biden did not listen to the military in this debacle.

As I have said repeatedly and based on my military experience, commanders ALWAYS ask for MORE.  Then these same generals turned around and said they could do it with the troops they had.  They never told Biden they could not accomplish the mission (withdraw peacefully) from Afghanistan without the additional troops.  Never.

2 hours ago, ElCid said:

As I have said repeatedly and based on my military experience, commanders ALWAYS ask for MORE.  Then these same generals turned around and said they could do it with the troops they had.  They never told Biden they could not accomplish the mission (withdraw peacefully) from Afghanistan without the additional troops.  Never.

And doctors tell you to go home and get some rest. Neither president seems to want to listen to the experts.

6 hours ago, HIGHWAY said:

One  more  reason  to be  thankful we got  rid of those limey  imperialists.  Poo  is  mostly  what  comes out of Jimmy Dope's mouth.

Now King  Joe says  he is  going to  have  to take more time  to see if he approves of  the $1.75 billion  reconciliation bill. Not Biden,

not Pelosi,  not  the Squad, but  Joe Manchin.

On 11/1/2021 at 4:18 PM, MovieMadness said:

Biden did not listen to the generals and pulled out while the White House was on vacation, they weren't even following what was happening. Biden was responsible for the worst military debacle since Vietnam, no one else.

maybe because Generals aren't infallible?

Cases in point

Edward Braddock | Brooklyn Wargaming

Braddock’s defeat on the Monongahela River

Around 1,500 British regulars (the most modern and best equipped Army in North America at that date) and American troops (from Virginia, Maryland, North and South Carolina) were practically annihilated by a force of 300 to 600  Native Americans (Ottawas, Miamis, Hurons, Delawares [Lenni Lenape], Shawnees and Mingoes [Iroquois]) and some 200 French Colonial marines and millice (militia).

Arthur St. Clair | Forthright Radio

St Clair's Defeat aka Battle of the Wabash, the Battle of Wabash River or the Battle of a Thousand Slain

The U.S. Army faced the Western Confederacy of Native Americans, as part of the Northwest Indian War. It was "the most decisive defeat in the history of the American military"and its largest defeat ever by Native Americans

Custer Bvt MG Geo A 1865 LC-BH831-365-crop.jpg

The Battle of the Little Bighorn, known to the Lakota and other Plains Indians as the Battle of the Greasy Grass, and also commonly referred to as Custer's Last Stand,

The combined forces of the Lakota Sioux, Northern Cheyenne, and Arapaho tribes and the 7th Cavalry Regiment of the United States Army. The battle, which resulted in the defeat of U.S. forces, was the most significant action of the Great Sioux War of 1876. It took place on June 25–26, 1876, along the Little Bighorn River in the Crow Indian Reservation in southeastern Montana Territory.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 6:06 PM, Vautrin said:

One  more  reason  to be  thankful we got  rid of those limey  imperialists.  Poo  is  mostly  what  comes out of Jimmy Dope's mouth.

Now King  Joe says  he is  going to  have  to take more time  to see if he approves of  the $1.75 billion  reconciliation bill. Not Biden,

not Pelosi,  not  the Squad, but  Joe Manchin.