Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"KINSEY MILLHONE" DETECTIVE SERIES TO BE FILMED FOR TV

lilypond

I wasn't overly thrilled to hear this, despite my admiration for Sue Grafton's remarkable achievement in her celebrated Kinsey Millhone 'alphabet' series of novels.  The late Sue Grafton herself, a former screenwriter with the scars to prove it, vowed to never let Hollywood get their hands on Kinsey.  I guess the surviving family has decided otherwise.

Grafton understandably adored Ross Macdonald, and even set her books in Santa Barbara as well--  fictional "Santa Teresa, California".   Kinsey is an orphan, suddenly and traumatically deprived of her parents at age 5, which has shaped her solitary existence.  Ex-cop Kinsey is not all the way hard-boiled, but certainly not cuddly, and has a healthy cynicism.   Also, a sometimes withering wit,  a steadying influence in the form of her canny octogenarian landlord, Henry Pitts, an affinity for tiny living spaces, a willingness to cut legal corners.

And the thing that author Sue Grafton has, among others, is an inventiveness that never flags, and the best ear for dialogue going-- the way people really talk.  It's astonishing to me that she kept up the quality (when so many other detective authors fall by the wayside), all through, from "A is for Alibi" right through to "Y is for Yesterday".   If you haven't read her yet, and want to get into a good, sustained series, skip the upcoming celluloid Kinsey and get started right now on the books!

A few faves:

"C is for Corpse".          Rehabbing her battered body after being gunshot on another case, Kinsey meets wealthy socialite Bobby Callahan at her gym.  He's a physical wreck and amnesiac from a nine month earlier road crash in which he was intentionally run off a cliff.   Kinsey's dogged probe of the case puts her in equal peril...

"I is for Innocent".    Six years previously, was glamorous architect/designer Isabelle Barney murdered late one night by her estranged husband David, as she prepped to depart for San Francisco?   Kinsey penetrates the rarefied circles in which she traveled, and reconstructs shocking facts that may have been obscured and records destroyed.

Other greats from the series:  "J is for Judgment",    "K is for Killer" (One of the best, with a dreamy leitmotif of insomnia throughout.  Winner of both the Shamus award and the Anthony award),  "P is for Peril",  and "X" (yes, just "X").                 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, lilypond said:

I wasn't overly thrilled to hear this, despite my admiration for Sue Grafton's remarkable achievement in her celebrated Kinsey Millhone 'alphabet' series of novels.  The late Sue Grafton herself, a former screenwriter with the scars to prove it, vowed to never let Hollywood get their hands on Kinsey.  I guess the surviving family has decided otherwise.

Grafton understandably adored Ross Macdonald, and even set her books in Santa Barbara as well--  fictional "Santa Teresa, California".   Kinsey is an orphan, suddenly and traumatically deprived of her parents at age 5, which has shaped her solitary existence.  Ex-cop Kinsey is not all the way hard-boiled, but certainly not cuddly, and has a healthy cynicism.   Also, a sometimes withering wit,  a steadying influence in the form of her canny octogenarian landlord, Henry Pitts, an affinity for tiny living spaces, a willingness to cut legal corners.

And the thing that author Sue Grafton has, among others, is an inventiveness that never flags, and the best ear for dialogue going-- the way people really talk.  It's astonishing to me that she kept up the quality (when so many other detective authors fall by the wayside), all through, from "A is for Alibi" right through to "Y is for Yesterday".   If you haven't read her yet, and want to get into a good, sustained series, skip the upcoming celluloid Kinsey and get started right now on the books!

A few faves:

"C is for Corpse".          Rehabbing her battered body after being gunshot on another case, Kinsey meets wealthy socialite Bobby Callahan at her gym.  He's a physical wreck and amnesiac from a nine month earlier road crash in which he was intentionally run off a cliff.   Kinsey's dogged probe of the case puts her in equal peril...

"I is for Innocent".    Six years previously, was glamorous architect/designer Isabelle Barney murdered late one night by her estranged husband David, as she prepped to depart for San Francisco?   Kinsey penetrates the rarefied circles in which she traveled, and reconstructs shocking facts that may have been obscured and records destroyed.

Other greats from the series:  "J is for Judgment",    "K is for Killer" (One of the best, with a dreamy leitmotif of insomnia throughout.  Winner of both the Shamus award and the Anthony award),  "P is for Peril",  and "X" (yes, just "X").                 

What company is doing the adapting and will it be TV or regular movie.

I read about the first 20 and tried a couple after that, but just not there anymore.  It was a very good and interesting series.  A movie would probably be disappointing and God Forbid it be done for Hallmark.

• Like 2

ELCID,  it's an outfit called "A + E  Studios".    It looks like they're adapting it for TV.   They're the same group, apparently,  that is also behind a proposed series of "The Great Gatsby" for TV.       ????

Ha, that would be hilarious if "Hallmark" tried to assay Kinsey, or, horrors, the Lifetime Movie Network!    How would they deal with her quirkiness, or the faint but persistent thread of sadness throughout the series.   I don't know anything about A + E, but they'd almost have to be a more 'respectable' venue....

Still, she made it quite clear she wanted no filming of any kind of her books.  Seems wrong of the estate to move ahead with it, to me at least. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, lilypond said:

ELCID,  it's an outfit called "A + E  Studios".    It looks like they're adapting it for TV.   They're the same group, apparently,  that is also behind a proposed series of "The Great Gatsby" for TV.       ????

Ha, that would be hilarious if "Hallmark" tried to assay Kinsey, or, horrors, the Lifetime Movie Network!    How would they deal with her quirkiness, or the faint but persistent thread of sadness throughout the series.   I don't know anything about A + E, but they'd almost have to be a more 'respectable' venue....

Still, she made it quite clear she wanted no filming of any kind of her books.  Seems wrong of the estate to move ahead with it, to me at least. 

There is a 90% chance any movie would be worse than the books.  Although I do like the movie they made of Janet Evanovich's One For The Money with Katherine Heigl, but that was only movie made from one of her books that I know of.

Hallmark Channel really makes some bad movies in my opinion.  Too much syrupy romance, etc.  For instance The Christmas Train based on David Baldacci's book of same name.  The book is excellent; not too long and tells a very good story.  Even though I like the actors in the movie, it is pretty poor in my opinion.  A very good book and good actors ruined by HC.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lilypond said:

A + E Studios is part of A + E Networks, which everyone probably better knows as A&E.  It's a joint venture between Hearst and Disney.  Lifetime is part of the A&E umbrella.

• Thanks 2

That is interesting, TXFILMFAN.   I did wonder if they were an off-shoot of A&E.  That combo of Hearst and Disney strikes me as a bit odd or "dyspeptic" a combo.   At least, the "old" Hearst, and the new, now relentlessly woke Disney being together strikes me as funny..... 

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings