Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is this discrimination?

Marysara1

I didn't have the money to go to college. I think people like me are being discriminated against. Sombody's really looking into this about how people vote, whether or not they have a college degree. There's newspapers,internet, T.V. radio that people can get information. How do we know it isn't the other way around. College students, listening to their teachers, Don't you remember the movie Rope. The 2 guys thought the Jimmy Stewart character would be proud of them for killing somebody that was inferior.You can give certain facts that are true but not the whole story. Like say you have a teacher that hates Indians. You tell your class to go home and watch a western like Searchers.. Another teacher loves Indians. tells the class about the smallpox on blankets and about the $24 for Manhattan but tell them no to watch any westerns. Both are facts but can get different impressions from them. What about the scopes monkey trial.?(Inherit The Wind)Evilution. College is great as long as it's about teaching math,English ,biology or information ,that will help an individual in the field of their choose. But it's like in math class,they say how many pollocks to screw in a lightbulb vs. M.I.T. There was a teacher on the internet that dressed up as a indian to teach math.Why?I don't even know how they know these things. I don't recall when I signed up to vote being asked about my education.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Marysara1 said:

[see below]

I didn't have the money to go to college. I think people like me are being discriminated against.

How so? What goods or services are being denied to you based on your education status?

Sombody's really looking into this about how people vote, whether or not they have a college degree. There's newspapers,internet, T.V. radio that people can get information. How do we know it isn't the other way around.

This passage doesn't make sense. 

College students, listening to their teachers, Don't you remember the movie Rope. The 2 guys thought the Jimmy Stewart character would be proud of them for killing somebody that was inferior.

That was a movie. Do you think the plot of Rope accurately depicts the common relationship between students and teachers in college?

You can give certain facts that are true but not the whole story. Like say you have a teacher that hates Indians. You tell your class to go home and watch a western like Searchers.

Again, The Searchers is a movie. It is not "fact". 

Another teacher loves Indians. tells the class about the smallpox on blankets and about the $24 for Manhattan but tell them no to watch any westerns.

No teachers are telling their students to not watch westerns. If you can find a direct quote that contradicts that, I'd like to see it.

Both are facts but can get different impressions from them.

Again, The Searchers is not a documentary.

What about the scopes monkey trial.?(Inherit The Wind)Evilution.

What about it? And was your misspelling intentional this time?

College is great as long as it's about teaching math,English ,biology or information ,that will help an individual in the field of their choose.

Again, you're speaking as someone who did not attend college, and have likely not spent much if any time on a college campus. All of your information about it is second-hand, largely from right-leaning news sources.

But it's like in math class,they say how many pollocks to screw in a lightbulb vs. M.I.T.

What math class is telling "****" jokes? And what exactly are you saying with your comparison between that and M.I.T.?

There was a teacher on the internet that dressed up as a indian to teach math.Why?I don't even know how they know these things.

How who knows what things?

I don't recall when I signed up to vote being asked about my education.

Just because you were not included in an exit poll does not mean no one else was.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

What about the scopes monkey trial.?(Inherit The Wind)Evilution.

What about it? And was your misspelling intentional this time?

If you saw the movie. You'd understand. The teacher was teaching the Darwin theory. The people at the time believed in creation. One of the people on the side of creation was making fun of it calling it evilution instead.

8 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I didn't have the money to go to college. I think people like me are being discriminated against.

How so? What goods or services are being denied to you based on your education status?

It's what NBC said about non-college women voted for Youngkin vs College-educated didn't as much. Just like racism can be subtle so can a put down be.

4 minutes ago, Marysara1 said:

If you saw the movie. You'd understand. The teacher was teaching the Darwin theory. The people at the time believed in creation. One of the people on the side of creation was making fun of it calling it evilution instead.

It's what NBC said about non-college women voted for Youngkin vs College-educated didn't as much. Just like racism can be subtle so can a put down be.

I saw the movie, and read the book, and have debated evolution for decades. That's why I asked if your misspelling was intentional. I didn't know if you were outing yourself as an anti-evolution person, or if you had just made another typo. 

So NBC saying that non-college educated women voting for Youngkin in larger numbers than his opponent is a form of discrimination? That's demographics, not discrimination, unless you think voting for Youngkin is an insult of some sort.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I saw the movie, and read the book, and have debated evolution for decades. That's why I asked if your misspelling was intentional. I didn't know if you were outing yourself as an anti-evolution person, or if you had just made another typo. 

Ideas change. Now Darwin is taught  but then the teacher could've gone to prison at the time. NBC underlined the words non-college educated. I think it might of led to a link.

30 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

You can give certain facts that are true but not the whole story. Like say you have a teacher that hates Indians. You tell your class to go home and watch a western like Searchers.

Again, The Searchers is a movie. It is not "fact". 

Another teacher loves Indians. tells the class about the smallpox on blankets and about the $24 for Manhattan but tell them no to watch any westerns.

No teachers are telling their students to not watch westerns. If you can find a direct quote that contradicts that, I'd like to see it.

I know Searchers is a movie. But I'm sure a teacher could find article about the Indians scalping people or other things bad that they did. I'm just saying that a person's views can be shaped by the information they're given. If you only hear negative things (and believe them), you'll be angry or afraid. The other will feel bad for the Indian because of their mistreatment.

46 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

College students, listening to their teachers, Don't you remember the movie Rope. The 2 guys thought the Jimmy Stewart character would be proud of them for killing somebody that was inferior.

That was a movie. Do you think the plot of Rope accurately depicts the common relationship between students and teachers in college?

What about Pam Smart? She talked several of her student to help her (varies degrees) of killing her husband. I know that was high school.

7 minutes ago, Marysara1 said:

What about Pam Smart? She talked several of her student to help her (varies degrees) of killing her husband. I know that was high school.

And do you think that's a common occurrence in schools, or just an isolated incident? Are you saying it's indicative of something larger? If so, what?

11 minutes ago, Marysara1 said:

I know Searchers is a movie. But I'm sure a teacher could find article about the Indians scalping people or other things bad that they did. I'm just saying that a person's views can be shaped by the information they're given. If you only hear negative things (and believe them), you'll be angry or afraid. The other will feel bad for the Indian because of their mistreatment.

That's why critical thinking skills are an important asset for all people to develop and refine.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

That doesn't answer my question to you, though.

Which one. There was so many. That's why they have teacher. To shape the minds. Don't get me started I keep getting pop-ups from  Bizreview  or whatever it's called. Whoa. I'll keep it short all those mama bears and papa bears are going to be busy. I can post links . But I don't have issue with teachers. It's just about the slight about college from NBC. Unless they don't let you leave until you do the exit poll. It might not be accurate. Some personalities won't do them.

4 hours ago, Marysara1 said:

I didn't have the money to go to college. I think people like me are being discriminated against. Sombody's really looking into this about how people vote, whether or not they have a college degree. There's newspapers,internet, T.V. radio that people can get information. How do we know it isn't the other way around. College students, listening to their teachers, Don't you remember the movie Rope. The 2 guys thought the Jimmy Stewart character would be proud of them for killing somebody that was inferior.You can give certain facts that are true but not the whole story. Like say you have a teacher that hates Indians. You tell your class to go home and watch a western like Searchers.. Another teacher loves Indians. tells the class about the smallpox on blankets and about the $24 for Manhattan but tell them no to watch any westerns. Both are facts but can get different impressions from them. What about the scopes monkey trial.?(Inherit The Wind)Evilution. College is great as long as it's about teaching math,English ,biology or information ,that will help an individual in the field of their choose. But it's like in math class,they say how many pollocks to screw in a lightbulb vs. M.I.T. There was a teacher on the internet that dressed up as a indian to teach math.Why?I don't even know how they know these things. I don't recall when I signed up to vote being asked about my education.

I have three Masters Degrees, two in Education and one in Business. My Bachelor's Degree was in Cinema-Television and Broadcast Journalism (I had a double major). I worked hard for those degrees and became a teacher, devoting myself to the educational process.

But there are other things I learned outside college, things I learned by studying nature or taking on a new hobby where I taught myself. 

I don't think anyone without a degree, or even anyone with a degree should be discriminated against.

The most important thing is to teach someone the value of critical analysis, to be a critical thinker-- to examine facts and arrive at their own conclusions. Then, those views (and that vote) count for something.

But each person has to be willing to step away from ignorance and from any political party because all political parties are biased. 

A lot of Americans are scared to be non-political. They're afraid to actually think for themselves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marysara1 said:

The above reference and the Pamela Smart one are not relevant to where you began this discussion. 

You spoke about teachers teaching ideas, concepts and theories to many students.  The two incidents you cite are about individual teachers having affairs with individual students and that leading to violence.  Way different.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ElCid said:

You spoke about teachers teaching ideas, concepts and theories to many students.  The two incidents you cite are about individual teachers having affairs with individual students and that leading to violence.  Way different.

Yes was  but the point that teachers  use their influence to cause them to have certain beliefs.In the Pam Smart case there several students involved.

Just now, Marysara1 said:

Yes was  but the point that teachers  use their influence to cause them to have certain beliefs.In the Pam Smart case there several students involved.

But it was all linked to Pamela Smart wanting her husband killed and having an affair with a student and then involving his friends.  

That has nothing to do with teaching ideas, concepts and theories.  In fact that is what teachers are supposed to teach along with the basic skills.  It is called teaching students to think and to be open to other people and other ideas.

Teachers are influential - and they are supposed to be.  Just like ministers, lawyers, doctors, elected officials, soldiers and many others.  Parents are influential toward their children and often other children.