Boy and His Dog

The Night Stalker (TV)

Tell Them Willie Boy Is Here

Johnny Got His Gun

Hang 'Em High

In Cold Blood

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just a day or two ago someone started a Thread for KENT SMITH for a 'SUTS' Day. 

THE NIGHT STALKER (1971-Tvm) overlaps with Kent and Charles.  A two-fer! 

ALSO:  "The Killer Inside Me" is a rather unusual movie about a near-psychotic policeman played by Stacy Keach.  He's slowly going nutso! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

The Narrow Margin

The only way I could like THE NARROW MARGIN better is if MARIE WINDSOR is in it...  :)

Spartacus

...Awesome... that cold-hearted bastard... hope he enjoyed his long drink... 

The Night Stalker

My favorite vampire movie, my favorite made-for-TV movie, my favorite DAN CURTIS production... 

CHARLES McGRAW.  Awesome.

One of McGraw's most unexpected performances was in The Torpedo, an episode on television's The Untouchables. He played an old time gunman working for a mob boss who, after just getting released from prison, is trying to keep it a secret that he has lost his nerve. McGraw gets tears in his eyes from his fear and frustration, at one point confessing his secret to his girlfriend as he hugs her for emotional support. She, instead, becomes contemptuous towards him as an "old man" with no guts. Excellent performance, as always, from the tough guy character actor who, for once, was allowed to show vulnerability. It was an episode directed by Ida Lupino. I suspect the director/actress may have helped McGraw delve deeper than usual for his characterization.

McGraw died under tragic circumstances, a bathroom accident as a result of his alcoholism.

The actor would be a fine candidate as SUTS.

From I AM SPARTACUS by Kirk Douglas:

In the slave uprising scene, I found myself in a battle with my fellow actor Charles McGraw. The script called for me to drown him in a cauldron of soup. As I wrestled with McGraw he resisted being held facedown in the big bowl of liquid. As he got closer and closer to being submerged, he pushed away from me. I pushed harder, shoving him down into the iron bowl. I felt terrible when I accidentally broke his jaw. McGraw finished the scene but we couldn't use it. The shot in the film had to be done by his stunt double.

Spartacus (1960)

Color Behind-the-Scenes Photos From the Making of 'Spartacus' ~ Vintage  Everyday

I haven't seen a ton of McGraw films but always enjoyed him. He's surprisingly good cast I think at least partially against type as the hero in Narrow Margin. You didn't mention The Defiant Ones, in which he's the relentless pursuer, alwasy pressing Theodore Bikel to go faster, do more. And isn't he in the diner scene in The Birds? Am I imagining that?

2 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I haven't seen a ton of McGraw films but always enjoyed him. He's surprisingly good cast I think at least partially against type as the hero in Narrow Margin. You didn't mention The Defiant Ones, in which he's the relentless pursuer, alwasy pressing Theodore Bikel to go faster, do more. And isn't he in the diner scene in The Birds? Am I imagining that?

Yes,  McGraw is in The Birds as the cagy,  weathered looking sea captain,  that tells people in the diner that the gulls were acting oddly.

• Thanks 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings