Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Too Many Trailers Lately?

Blooz

Is it me, or is anyone else getting sick of the repetitious showing of trailers for upcoming movies that's been going on lately? It seems as though TCM has stopped showing "shorts" in between movies in lieu of trailers, the same interviews over and over, and merchandising commercials.

Yes, we're spoiled, we've avoided commercials for years, and it's their right, but I miss seeing good old "One Reel Wonders" and the like!

Yesterday I think I saw the trailer for "Ben Hur" over 10 times! And the same for the interview with Claude Rains' annoying daughter.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels like this - so what do you think?

I've noticed that they're pushing the magazine a lot more (which looks like a great product, by the way - I should get it), but I haven't really noticed the same trailers being repeated any more than in the past couple of years.

I find the trailers fun to watch but I imagine seeing the same one does get boring. Personally, I don't care much for a lot of the interviews because I'm just not that interested in hearing little personal details and laudatory comments about somebody's career. Actually, I usually find interviews with actors not very insightful at all (I recently bought the "Twilight Zone" DVD kit and was looking forward to hearing some commentary by former writers who could tell about the stories, direction, and symbols, but all the interviews are with actors who just say things like "oh, there's John Doe. I heard he's living up in Riverside now.")

A lot of the "one reel wonders" are available from cable "on demand" packages, which my Dad has. Unfortunately, a lot of those reels are awful. I think they've got a bunch of shorts about dogs that talk this month. It was probably cute at the time, but it's just boring now.

I'm with you. Way too many trailers and way too many interviews. I'm not sure about the "movie" thing (I forget what it's called) with Alec Baldwin (though I do like him) and the others who profile their favorite moves. I turn it off at that point until the movie comes on.

I'm sure there are people out there that do enjoy it, but I'm just not one of them.

Blooz, I've also been enjoying Alec Baldwin quite a bit. He's fairly knowledgeable, and has a passion for the classics that really comes through. Also seems to have a high level of respect for them, and treats them accordingly.

I'm not sure if there are more trailers, I tend to enjoy them. I would suggest there might be fewer shorts (and those they show, they tend to repeat). LZ, if you are reading this, I might presume this could be due to the merger and the loss of full control of the library? They used to be able to show any shorts available in the Warner and MGM libraries, but now they have to pay for them. Also at some point, they also seemed to have lost the rights to the cartoons, which is a shame, I used to enjoy those also.

Because of their deal with the Roach library, they do show a nice selection (though too infrequently, IMHO) of their shorts.

You're right about Alec - he certainly seems to "do his homework" about the production end of the classics! He's come out with some comments this season that have really surprised me at the depth

of his knowledge of many of the directors and, even more so, cinematographers from the "golden age" of movies.

You bring up a good point about the cartoons! The last time I saw a cartoon on TCM was earlier this year, when they had a night devoted to animation.

You're right about Alec - he certainly seems to "do his homework" about the production end of the classics! He's come out with some comments this season that have really surprised me at the depth

of his knowledge of many of the directors and, even more so, cinematographers from the "golden age" of movies.

You bring up a good point about the cartoons! The last time I saw a cartoon on TCM was earlier this year, when they had a night devoted to animation.