Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movie pairings that people don't mention but should

TopBilled

I love watching these two:

Screen Shot 2021-11-06 at 2.13.44 PM

Kent Smith & Simone Simon in THE CAT PEOPLE (1942). Such beautiful looking people.

I also love watching these two together:

Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 6.36.01 AM.png

Leslie Howard & Ingrid Bergman in the remake of INTERMEZZO (1939).

As well as:

screen-shot-2019-02-12-at-9.25.31-am.jpeg

Robert Ryan & Shirley Booth in ABOUT MRS. LESLIE (1954).

Then there's:

Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 5.45.46 PM.jpeg

Kirk Douglas & Alex Cord in THE BROTHERHOOD (1968).

For romance with a bit of espionage we have to mention:

screen-shot-2019-05-26-at-1.31.21-pm.jpeg

Julie Andrews & Omar Sharif in THE TAMARIND SEED (1974).

And I think these two complement each other perfectly:

Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 7.39.23 PM.jpeg

Jon Voight & Jane Fonda in COMING HOME (1978).

Don't forget:

Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 5.15.56 PM

Mary McDonnell & Alfre Woodard in PASSION FISH (1992).

Or this British duo:

Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 8.24.43 AM.jpeg

Emma Thompson & Anthony Hopkins in HOWARDS END (1992) and THE REMAINS OF THE DAY (1993).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I like - Dorothy Dandrige and Harry Belfonte - Carmen Jones, Island in the Sun, Bright Road

Sidney Poitier and Ruby Dee - No Way Out ( 1950), A Raisin in the Sun, Edge of the City, Buck and the Preacher

Spike Lee and Denzel Washington - Malcolm X,  Inside Man, Mo' Better Blues

• Like 4

This movie seems to be long out-of-circulation so I don't think too many folks have seen it in the recent past, but I like the chemistry between George Peppard and Inger Stevens in HOUSE OF CARDS (1968).  They make an engaging pair, I thought.   

EDDIE MURPHY and LISA EILBACHER made an engaging pair in "Beverly Hills Cop" (1984); they did not play a romantic couple but they acted like one gently bickering back and forth.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Kent Smith & Simone Simon in THE CAT PEOPLE (1942). Such beautiful looking people.

As well as:

Then there's:

Don't forget:

Or this British duo:

Emma Thompson & Anthony Hopkins in HOWARDS END (1992) and THE REMAINS OF THE DAY (1993).

Awesome Topic/Subject. One; the likes of which, i am Very Likely to Return to in the (Near) Future.

- The Entirety of the Cast of Gods Little Acre.

- Denzel Washington & Mark Walberg in 2 Guns.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

As well as:

Then there's:

Don't forget:

Or this British duo:

Madam Shirley Eaton & Hugh O'Brien  (in) Ten Little Indians.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Yes. I agree. And it's the main reason I prefer this remake over the 1945 version, AND THEN THERE WERE NONE.

Yes. (!)

If Memory Serves. There Are Three Interpretations of this Agatha Christie Tale. (Four if we Include the *overhyped imo* Knives Out.)

Madam Eaton and Mr O'Brian Teaming Up is ByFar the "Best" Vision of the Story.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sewhite2000 said:

Yeah, it's surprisingly comedic and dare I say heartwarming for a David Mamet film. Though it's got Mamet elements for sure.

Was it an independent film that was screened in limited release? I can't believe I'd never heard of it before.

You sent me scrambling to IMDB, because I had no idea. Looks like it was distributed by a major studio, Columbia. I first saw it on HBO or another movie channel. I was completely unaware of its theatrical release, though I did see several Mamet films in the theater, including House of Games. I was also surprised to learn Mamet co-wrote it with Shel Silverstein, which I probably knew from watching the credits before but had forgotten.

• Like 1

I don't watch it very often because it's standard Clifford Odets overkill (in my opinion), but I really like Marilyn Monroe and Keith Andes in Clash by Night (1952). It was an early role for Marilyn in which she was a pretty girl without the glam overlay. Keith was also a newbie and that seemed to be a bond, that they weren't trying to live up to established images and could be free with each other, Their easy manner with each other was a welcome relief from the torrent of emotions around them and, frankly, they were about equal on the hotness scale, which added to their appeal as a couple. People often point to Don't Bother to Knock at Fox  in the same year as an indicator of Marilyn's ability to do drama, but I prefer her work in this loan-out to RKO. She and Andes had a real made-for-each-other vibe in the roles. This is no knock on Stanwyck, Ryan and Paul Douglas (It's a knock on Odets.), but Monroe and Andes were the ones you could watch without getting a headache. 

R.jpg

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

Doris Day & Brian Keith 

in

with six you get eggroll

:D

Brian Keith and Doris Day for With Six You Get Egg Roll 1968 | Doris day  movies, Movie stars, Classic movie stars

I agree...they made a fun pair. She was also good with Rod Taylor in two films which people fail to mention.

• Like 2

You mean DO NOT DISTURB and THE GLASS BOTTOM BOAT? 

I liked the chemistry between Albert Finney and Susan Dey in LOOKER.  I think the movie ends with him asking her out on a 'proper' date after fighting off baddies like James Coburn, Leigh Taylor-Young and Rick Rossovich.  

• Like 1

DO NOT DISTURB is one of the few Doris Day movies that seems to have disappeared into the mist. 

I think Doris said she made 39 movies in twenty years (1948-68) . . . but "Do Not Disturb" sure doesn't come up for air on any movie channel I've seen. 

4 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

DO NOT DISTURB is one of the few Doris Day movies that seems to have disappeared into the mist. 

I think Doris said she made 39 movies in twenty years (1948-68) . . . but "Do Not Disturb" sure doesn't come up for air on any movie channel I've seen. 

It's a 20th Century Fox film so it has aired on the Fox Movie Channel (now called FXM Retro). That's where I recorded my copy of it.

But whenever TCM does birthday tributes for Doris, or when she is Star of the Month or a Summer Under the Stars honoree, they seem more interested in leasing her Universal stuff (with the exception of THE BALLAD OF JOSIE) so DO NOT DISTURB gets overlooked.

It has an above average script...she and Taylor are charming together...and Fox put a lot of money into the production, in terms of set design and clothing. 

Another Fox film she did during that same year, CAPRICE, also goes unseen. 

• Like 1

Speaking of THE BALLAD OF JOSIE (1967) . . . I ended up buying the UNIVERSAL VAULT SERIES disc a few months ago.  I figured I may as well pick it up.  I know it's not one of Doris's better-regarded films although I don't think it's that bad.  I wouldn't have bought it if I hated it, you know?   

I have just moseyed on over to Amazon and noted that the DVD of "Do Not Disturb" can be found for sale easily enough; I'd never looked for it before!  Lots of Fox discs for sale.  Maybe I'll buy it, too. 

CAPRICE might be her worst-regarded film, but the one I've never thought about watching was the 1968 release about the NYC blackout in Nov. 1965.   Forgot the exact title of it offhand.  Also starred Robert Morse, who might be Doris's last living "leading man".