Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is the purpose of the TCM board emoticons?

misswonderly3

I can remember a time when this website did not have emoticons at all.  Of course, that was ages ago.  This Website has to keep up with the times,  and years ago they did a board update that included the option to post an emoji on a poster's comments.   We have a lot fewer here than many social websites do,  but perhaps we have more than enough.  Let's see, I think there are 5:    "Thanks",  "HaHa"  "Confused"  "Sad"  and of course,  "Like".

For a while I resisted using them,  but it's just too hard to do that.  Still,  I try to use them for positive reasons.  It seems to me that in the absence of a "disagree" emoji,  the one people use the most when they disagree with someone is the "confused" icon.  I've used it myself that way.

But what I have a problem with is when people use these emoticons to insult or somehow shame ( in their mind, anyway) the poster  to whomthey're giving the "confused" emoji .  Another emoji that I'm sure was intended for fun,  but can be turned around for negative effect,  is the "laugh" one.  

I think if someone disagrees with a poster,  it's fair to just say they do, and why.  No problem in having polite discussions here that involve posters disagreeing with one another.  Disagreement can make things interesting.  In fact,  I wouldn't have a problem with a "disagree" emoji, that would be an honest and fair - NOT insulting -  reaction to a post one has disagreed with.

But I do have a problem with people using these emoticons to harass , insult, embarrass, or unnerve posters.  If someone doesn't like what a poster has said,  instead of just using  the "haha" icon  (which is disrespectful, unless of course the poster made a joke or was otherwise intentionally funny) or the confused or sad emojis,  they could maybe just quote the poster and then explain why they disagree with them.

Of course people here already do that, and that's as it should be.  I'm just talking about when someone intentionally mocks a poster by giving them one of those emojis inappropriately.  It's a lazy way of communicating one's disagreement, and it's impolite.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

Excellent post Miss W and I know many here feel the same way. A disagree emoticon should be included so there are no misunderstandings. Too often when a poster clicks a sad or confused emoticon they mean it in an insulting. hurtful way and that was not what the intended use of those emoticons were suppose to be, We've all used them when we had no other option when we disagree with a post. It's unfortunate that they are also used just to be hurtful. I also hope that a DISAGREE emoticon is included.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would say the laughing emoticon is frequently used on here not to say "I find your post amusing" but instead "I find what you say so idiotic that I'm laughing AT you, not with you." That's my interpretation of how it's been used toward some of my more impassioned posts on several occasions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I would say the laughing emoticon is frequently used on here not to say "I find your post amusing" but instead "I find what you say so idiotic that I'm laughing AT you, not with you." That's my interpretation of how it's been used toward some of my more impassioned posts on several occasions.

Exactly.  That is precisely my point,  that the "haha" emoticon is often used to ridicule.   And I don't believe that was the intention , when it was included in the "emoji" array.  The intent of this thread is to say that I don't think it's polite or helpful to use the emojis  in that way.  

I know a lot of people will say,  "Hey,  we have the right to use those emoticons any way we want"  and I'm not suggesting anything  as extreme as removing the emoticons ,  or even punishing those who use them in that disrespectful way.  I'm not big on "punishing" anyway-- people can hardly be suspended from this site just for inappropriate use of emoticons, what an over-reaction that would be.

I'm just making the observation that misusing the emojis to mock or insult posters seems a discourteous and disrespectful way to use them, and that a much better way of expressing disagreement with the poster would be to quote them and then explain the nature of your disagreement.

...which, as I said in my original post here,  many already do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

And you just know they're not laughing at all. They're spitting mad but can't think of a rebuttal. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I genreally limit myself to the "like" and "thanks" emoticons, which more or less mean the same thing to me, anyway. Though I like to think I have incredibly subtle reasons for choosing one over the other, more likely it's just whichever one I click first. I do occasionally use the laugh emoticon when something has made me bust out in a guffaw, and I always intend it to be complimentary. Dargo has received many laugh emoticons from me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I genreally limit myself to the "like" and "thanks" emoticons, which more or less mean the same thing to me, anyway. Though I like to think I have incredibly subtle reasons for choosing one over the other, more likely it's just whichever one I click first. I do occasionally use the laugh emoticon when something has made me bust out in a guffaw, and I always intend it to be complimentary. Dargo has received many laugh emoticons from me.

Speaking of Dargo, I haven't seen the Dargster around for a while.  Maybe he's just busy playing tennis or riding his motorcycle.  

• Like 1

I dislike the "Off-Topic" forum, with a few exceptions,  it always seems to be full of anger and contention and bad feeling.  I rarely go on it.  I'm sorry the moderator (s)  deemed it necessary to move my thread here,  I think it has at least as much relevance on the "General Discussions" forum.

Because I don't want  to be involved in "Off-Topic" discussions  ( unless it's about cats or strawberry ice cream),  I'm not going to participate on my own thread here.  Well, hopefully, anyway.

• Haha 1

By the way, Misswonderly, you are so very welcome to join us over at "The Big Country" thread to weigh in about the pizza.  There have been a couple of sidelined comment streams  which ought to be touched off once in a while.  Thought you might have some favorite frozen food feast for a movie that you are itching to crow about.  Invitation's  open to all, by the way.  

I think we will need to come up with a sound effect emoji for this to express "Yummy."  Or maybe a burp.  

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

I can remember a time when this website did not have emoticons at all.  Of course, that was ages ago.  This Website has to keep up with the times,  and years ago they did a board update that included the option to post an emoji on a poster's comments.   We have a lot fewer here than many social websites do,  but perhaps we have more than enough.  Let's see, I think there are 5:    "Thanks",  "HaHa"  "Confused"  "Sad"  and of course,  "Like".

For a while I resisted using them,  but it's just too hard to do that.  Still,  I try to use them for positive reasons.  It seems to me that in the absence of a "disagree" emoji,  the one people use the most when they disagree with someone is the "confused" icon.  I've used it myself that way.

But what I have a problem with is when people use these emoticons to insult or somehow shame ( in their mind, anyway) the poster  to whomthey're giving the "confused" emoji .  Another emoji that I'm sure was intended for fun,  but can be turned around for negative effect,  is the "laugh" one.  

I think if someone disagrees with a poster,  it's fair to just say they do, and why.  No problem in having polite discussions here that involve posters disagreeing with one another.  Disagreement can make things interesting.  In fact,  I wouldn't have a problem with a "disagree" emoji, that would be an honest and fair - NOT insulting -  reaction to a post one has disagreed with.

But I do have a problem with people using these emoticons to harass , insult, embarrass, or unnerve posters.  If someone doesn't like what a poster has said,  instead of just using  the "haha" icon  (which is disrespectful, unless of course the poster made a joke or was otherwise intentionally funny) or the confused or sad emojis,  they could maybe just quote the poster and then explain why they disagree with them.

Of course people here already do that, and that's as it should be.  I'm just talking about when someone intentionally mocks a poster by giving them one of those emojis inappropriately.  It's a lazy way of communicating one's disagreement, and it's impolite.

I have long recommended that they have a disagree or dislike button so that people can show they do not agree with the post or dislike it, without having to respond.  Quoting automatically puts the thread back at the top again.  It also requires that you write something and this may evolve into something lengthy, as well as a back and forth.

Using the confused, laugh or sad buttons does indicate that it has been read and the person does not like what the poster said.  Of course, I usually use them because the story itself is sad or funny or confusing.  The confused button can also be used to indicate the poster is confused or the person reading the post is confused about the post.

Those of us who use sad, laugh or confused are not "mocking" a poster, but indicating our response to what they posted.

It is OK for people to post whatever they want, but others should not be permitted to respond to it without a new post?  I think not.

15 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

It has been used both ways and probably will continue to be.   At least on the Off-Topic forum.

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

But let's not be unfair and generalizing.  I use the "laugh" emoticon only when I think something is funny.  Usually a lot on DARGO'S posts.  And notice too, that I, like Darg, will often put in the "wink" emoticon.  Me, usually when I'm posting something "tongue in cheek" or otherwise yanking someone's chain.  

And CID---

I never use the "laugh" emoticon to indicate I dislike any poster's input.  And yes, I do realize you weren't talking about me specifically.  But I get what you mean..  I've seen "laugh" emoticons posted on a post that really wasn't funny at all and clearly not intended to be.  I often wonder what the deal is with the person who posted that emoticon.   And I'm all for a "dislike" icon, and as y'all know, I also feel the need for a "blush" emoticon.  :) 

Sepiatone

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I like emojis and they're FREEEEEEE.

👹🌞🎱👽🔻☘️🤠😈👻☑️☠️🐷🌻🍷🎃🎨🕰️🌛❄️💎🎵🔑🛒🟪🔱♻️↪️

Vautrin,  you're one of the few people here who, as far as I can tell, never uses the emoticons, for any reason.  I've always really liked that about you.  

2 hours ago, ElCid said:

I have long recommended that they have a disagree or dislike button so that people can show they do not agree with the post or dislike it, without having to respond.  Quoting automatically puts the thread back at the top again.  It also requires that you write something and this may evolve into something lengthy, as well as a back and forth.

Using the confused, laugh or sad buttons does indicate that it has been read and the person does not like what the poster said.  Of course, I usually use them because the story itself is sad or funny or confusing.  The confused button can also be used to indicate the poster is confused or the person reading the post is confused about the post.

Those of us who use sad, laugh or confused are not "mocking" a poster, but indicating our response to what they posted.

It is OK for people to post whatever they want, but others should not be permitted to respond to it without a new post?  I think not.

It has been used both ways and probably will continue to be.   At least on the Off-Topic forum.

ElCid,   I was not advocating for people to "not be permitted to respond to it ( someone's post) without having to write a new post".  I regret that my comments came across that way to you. 

However, the whole reason why I started this thread was because some people DO use the emojis to mock someone's  post.  You say:

"Those of us who use sad, laugh or confused are not "mocking" a poster, but indicating our response to what they posted."

And yes, that's the original intention of making those emojis available here,  and that is the way most people use them.  And of course I understand that sometimes one doesn't have the time or inclination to quote the person and then write a whole post about why they disagree with them.  But some people do indeed use them to insult or unnerve or make fun of a post.  I guess it's a lot easier than just saying why they have a problem with the post they're ridiculing.

Really,  I don't want the emojis removed as an option for comment on someone's post. I just want them to be used with courtesy, not to mock.

3 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Vautrin,  you're one of the few people here who, as far as I can tell, never uses the emoticons, for any reason.  I've always really liked that about you.  

All these years  here and I still haven't found  one post that I liked. 🤠  Just  kidding. I never got into  the habit of using  them and though

tempted, I've decided not to use them. I have no problem with  other folks using them. I do  use  them on some of my own posts. I just

got a new computer and it  has hundreds or emojis and  I'm trying not to overuse them with some, if not complete, success.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

I dislike the "Off-Topic" forum, with a few exceptions,  it always seems to be full of anger and contention and bad feeling.

Yes, speaking generally, I find Off-Topic to be a cesspool. I only came here because this one thread was moved  here, and this one thread is all I'm looking at.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

MISSWONDERLY3,  I do like your point about not mocking other posters.  When I first ventured onto social media, it was a shocker to me that people would treat others they were conversing with in such a manner, or even worse.   It has to be the "shelter" of anonymity that has lured people into the dubious stages of incivility that can only debase us all.  In real life, when you are face to face with others, it's much harder to devolve into unseemly social behavior, thankfully. 

• Like 4

Wow,  I just went on this forum and saw  how this relatively new thread has sunk to the bottom of the page.  Every other thread here is political.

I don't know why the Powers That Be  saw fit to move this thread from General Discussions to "Off Topic".  It's not off-topic to have a conversation about how emoticons on these boards are used, and General Discussions is the most active forum on this site,  so it would  have made sense to have left it there.

But I do believe certain people here may have extra influence with whoever moderates this site,  and I am powerless to control that.  

They also seem to have the ability to get posts removed.  Isn't that a kind of censorship?

Maybe whoever requested this thread be moved thinks the topic is political.  Maybe in a way it is.  Hadn't thought of it that way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Wow,  I just went on this forum and saw  how this relatively new thread has sunk to the bottom of the page.  Every other thread here is political.

I don't know why the Powers That Be  saw fit to move this thread from General Discussions to "Off Topic".  It's not off-topic to have a conversation about how emoticons on these boards are used, and General Discussions is the most active forum on this site,  so it would  have made sense to have left it there.

But I do believe certain people here may have extra influence with whoever moderates this site,  and I am powerless to control that.  

They also seem to have the ability to get posts removed.  Isn't that a kind of censorship?

Maybe whoever requested this thread be moved thinks the topic is political.  Maybe in a way it is.  Hadn't thought of it that way.

Yes, it is EVERY kind of censorship.  And I never thought of this thread being political either. There are times that some of what goes on here just puzzle me.

Sepiatone

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well I just hate that some posters here-longtime members too- are so egotistical & disagreeable they use the built in emoticons inappropriately; not to mock exactly, but berate the original poster, as if hiding behind the seemingly happy or confused emoticons. We all know who they are.

I only use the confused emoticon when someone spurts a stream of consciousness, punctuation missing, ramble & I'm sincerely confused as to what they're saying. If they don't improve, I just put them on ignore. Only two in 20 years.

But if you can use the pull down "smiley" menu above ^^^ the 8th choice from the left for a huge choice to add to your reply. I use these pretty often: 🤷‍♂️(don't know) 😵(dead)🙋‍♀️(me too)😴(boring) 😝 (sarcasm) 😱 (horrifying) 😳(shocked, shocked to find snarking going on here)

• Like 3

23 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Well I just hate that some posters here-longtime members too- are so egotistical & disagreeable they use the built in emoticons inappropriately; not to mock exactly, but berate the original poster, as if hiding behind the seemingly happy or confused emoticons. We all know who they are.

I only use the confused emoticon when someone spurts a stream of consciousness, punctuation missing, ramble & I'm sincerely confused as to what they're saying. If they don't improve, I just put them on ignore. Only two in 20 years.

But if you can use the pull down "smiley" menu above ^^^ the 8th choice from the left for a huge choice to add to your reply. I use these pretty often: 🤷‍♂️(don't know) 😵(dead)🙋‍♀️(me too)😴(boring) 😝 (sarcasm) 😱 (horrifying) 😳(shocked, shocked to find snarking going on here)

I rarely(if ever) use those clear, uncolored or black and white emoticons or symbols.  And, unlike one I can think of,  I only use ONE AT A TIME! ;) 

See?

Sepiatone

• Like 1

The last forum software upgrade included these five "reaction" emojis.  I wouldn't be one bit surprised if they just left them "as-is", without any thought.  As if they just hired some hourly help to go through the motions and git-er-done.

My first reaction to these "reaction emojis" was that they were intentionally ugly to look at.  Overstated for the sake of being overstated.  Quite a bit more obtuse than the previously understated ones I have seen.

Something I did was to block out the two ugliest ones from ever being displayed on my computer.  It took me a whole 5 minutes to figure it out.  In uBlock Origin, I entered these two lines in the custom filters box (though it should work in the custom filter of any ad blocker):

content.invisioncic.com/q242003/reactions/react_confused.png
content.invisioncic.com/q242003/reactions/react_sad.png

I just didn't ever want to use or look at them.  Now my reaction palate looks like this:

https://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/Screenshot%20from%202021-11-09%2013-35-14.png

And for those who insist on going full r e t a r d with each other, at least now I don't have to look at it.  It's more of a "meh", which is fine with me.

https://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/Screenshot%20from%202021-11-09%2013-34-34.png

Problem solved.  ;)

Welcome to TCM's sewer system.  😁

• Like 2