Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your Choice For 1962 Best Actress Oscar

I  think this is one of the closest years in terms of quality of performance, choose who you would have voted for from the actual nominees with your reason why.

*=actual winner

THE NOMINEES

Anne Bancroft in The Miracle Worker*

Bette Davis in What Ever Happened To Baby Jane?

Katherine Hepburn in Long Day's Journey Into Night

Geraldine Page in Sweet Bird Of Youth

Lee Remick in Days Of Wine And  Roses

I thought long and hard on this and I think I agree with the Academy's choice of Bancroft. She could portray the anger and frustration of working with deaf/blind Helen Keller ( Patty Duke) as well as patience and tenderness. The final scene between her and Duke clinched it for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I WOULD have voted for Shelly Winters in Lolita, which I think is an exceptionally brave performance (as I recall, Robert Osborne corrected her on some TV talk show when she thought it was one of her Oscar nominations), but of the ladies who were actually nominated, I would probably agree with the Academy and go with Bancroft. Full confession: I haven't seen Hepburn's performance.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

Full confession: I haven't seen Hepburn's performance.

A film based on a long (but excellent) play about addiction, written in the 1940s, published in the 1950s and taking place some 40 years earlier.  The film garnered acting awards at Cannes for Hepburn, as well as Dean Stockwell, Jason Robards and Ralph Richardson.  The other acting awards at Cannes that year went to the two young actors  in A Taste of Honey, Murray Melvin and Rita Tushingham (her first film role).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Rita Tushingham (her first film role).

I just saw the new film Last Night In Soho, Tushingham has a role in that, still has that sweet charm to her, although she looks very old and frail, almost skeletal. Other British 1960s stars also appear like Terence Stamp (Billy Budd (1962), The Collector(1965)). Diana Rigg also appears in her final film role.

Yeah, I noticed Stamp in the trailer ("I've done a lot of bad things. You'll have to be more specific, luv."), and I saw an article on AV Club about Rigg's appearance. I'm kinda intrigued. Anya-Taylor Joy is kinda flavor of the month right now. I like to think I appreciated her "way back" in fare like The Witch and Glass, but her star has been white hot since The Queen's Gambit.

• Like 1
On 11/8/2021 at 6:53 PM, sewhite2000 said:

Well, I WOULD have voted for Shelly Winters in Lolita, which I think is an exceptionally brave performance (as I recall, Robert Osborne corrected her on some TV talk show when she thought it was one of her Oscar nominations),

Yes that was on the Dinah Shore show, the one she thought she was nominated for was A Double Life (1947)

• Thanks 1

1962 is one of those years (another is 1950) that I would call A Year of the Actress.  For me, every nomination deserved to win.   (I'll save A Year of the Actor for another discussion.)

As much as I loved every performance, my top choices are:

Best Actress:  Geraldine Page as Alexandra Del Lago in Sweet Bird of Youth

Best Supporting Actress:  Angela Lansbury as Eleanor Shaw in The Manchurian Candidate

• Like 1

Katharine Hepburn,  for "Long Day's Journey Into Night".    And I'm saying that as someone who's not really a fan of Hepburn.  I like her in certain select roles, but in general, she's not one of my favorites, frankly.

But that performance she gave as the drug-addicted mother in the film version of O'Neill's play was a stunner, so poignant, and stays in the memory.  The ephemeral image of her drifting about that ramshackle house, wrapped in a shawl-- a husk, but a beautiful husk--  is so haunting.

• Like 2