Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Blondie films

midnight08

Does anyone know if TCM has acquired the rights to show the Blondie films?  One or two years ago they showed the first six films of the series. I know  they were TCM premieres. Then they showed another Blondie film (Blondie Goes To College) as part of a college films theme several months ago . Last Saturday they showed another three films. I'm wondering if slowly but surely they will show the remaining 18 Blondie films. I was disappointed that they didn't have the original Columbia films opening credits and music but at least they're commercial free. I could still kick myself when I think back to AMC showing all the Blondie films with the Columbia films opening titles intact back in the late 1990's. I don't know why I didn't record them back then. 

• Like 2

Yes, is it King Features that redid the opening titles?  I remember they were on local channels when I was growing up, and I liked them back then.  Now MoviesTV shows one each Saturday (I think).  I look in on them once in a while, but I fear the bloom is off the Blondie rose for me these days.  Mildly pleasant but with a touch of grating-ness that does them in.  I do like Penny Singleton, though.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, midnight08 said:

Does anyone know if TCM has acquired the rights to show the Blondie films?  One or two years ago they showed the first six films of the series. I know  they were TCM premieres. Then they showed another Blondie film (Blondie Goes To College) as part of a college films theme several months ago . Last Saturday they showed another three films. I'm wondering if slowly but surely they will show the remaining 18 Blondie films. I was disappointed that they didn't have the original Columbia films opening credits and music but at least they're commercial free. I could still kick myself when I think back to AMC showing all the Blondie films with the Columbia films opening titles intact back in the late 1990's. I don't know why I didn't record them back then. 

It sure does look like TCM has acquired the rights to run the Blondie movies although as you say, they're taking their time getting to the later ones. They would be ideal for their Saturday morning series time slot (although that seems to be the same time as the "Movies" channel also runs them - but then, not everybody gets that channel...I don't).

I am also very disappointed that the prints TCM has been showing are not the ones with the original Columbia titles & credits restored (that AMC had in the 1990s). I really HATE those fake 1960s King Features openings and awful song! But I had seen the Blondie movies on a few other local channels over the years before AMC picked them up and they were always the 1960s King Features prints so I was doubtful that we would ever see the original Columbia titles. So when I saw that the prints AMC was running had the real Columbia titles restored I made sure to get them all recorded. And I'm sure glad I did, since as we know, now we're back to seeing the fake openings again. I have to wonder what ever happened to those restored prints that AMC ran? If they are still available somebody really should inform TCM that those are the prints they should be running.

• Like 4

They are still being shown Saturday mornings on the Movies! Network. I went through the whole series last year and wrote about each one on I Just Watched thread. Here are a few of the best ones:

Blondie Meets The Boss (1939) Movies! Channel 7/10

Dagwood quits his job when Mr Dithers cancels his vacation. Blondie is then hired in his place.

The second entry in the Blondie series and this is a very fast and funny one. There are many things going on which is just an excuse for farcical gags but it's OK because most are funny. In addition Blondie's sister Dot arrives with her boyfriend who are jitterbug dance champions. Dagwood goes fishing with his neighbor Marvin (Don Beddoe) who brings along a date for him and Dagwood. Blondie later finds a compromising but innocent photo of her husband with the girl. Baby Dumpling has some of the funniest lines. A hilarious scene has Dagwood accidentally becoming Dot's partner in a jitterbug contest.

Blondie Takes A Vacation (1939) Movies! Channel 7/10

Blondie and Dagwood take Baby Dumpling and Daisy for a two week vacation at lakeview lodge.

Another very good entry, the 3rd in the series. There are plenty of laughs but some sentiment and suspense too. It is also helped by two great character actors in supporting roles. Donald MacBride plays a mean grouch who gets in an altercation with the Bumsteads on a train. He later turns out to be the owner of the hotel they are staying at, he kicks them out. Donald Meek plays a lovable eccentric who turns out to be a pyromaniac. The Bumsteads then go to a rundown hotel owned by an old couple in dire straits. Blondie convinces Dagwood to help them and also find out MacBride is trying to take the business away. 

Blondie's Blessed Event (1942) Movies! Network 7/10

Blondie has a baby girl and Dagwood makes friends with a free loading playwright. 

A very funny entry #11 in the series, one of the best. The new baby girl is named Cookie and Baby Dumpling demands to be called by his real name Alexander. This one is also helped by the appearance of two scene stealing character players. Hans Conried is the playwright and he shows his use of voices and disguises. Mary Wickes plays a tough talking maid who is a aspiring actress. There is also a quick reference to the need for victory in the new war effort. And Daisy has a litter of puppies.

Footlight Glamour (1943) Movies! TV Network 7/10

Mr Dithers orders Dagwood to take in a boarder who is the daughter of a client, she is an aspiring actress but her father wants to keep her away from show business.

#14 in the Blondie series and this is one of the funniest. The daughter is played by Ann Savage, who would later be best known as the nasty femme fatale in Detour. She was an underrated actress and she shows great comic timing in this one. There are many WWII references in this one, with talk about points for groceries due to rationing. Dagwood even has to take meat out of one of his sandwiches since during the war there was "meatless Tuesdays". There is a scene where Savage gets to put on a play with parts for Dagwood, Blondie and Alexander. The scenes involving the play are hilarious as everything goes wrong. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

So, I'm guessing those "7/10"s are your ratings.  Gotta admit, those movies are consistent, if nothing else.  ;) 

And, is it ME---- or is there a correlation of Lake's comic style and Jerry Lewis?  To a degree at least.

Sepiatone

Yes, those are my ratings.

I can see a slight resemblance between Arthur Lake and Jerry Lewis, though Jerry is lot more goofy. I always thought Lake's Dagwood was a lot like Ozzie Nelson. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Yes, those are my ratings.

I can see a slight resemblance between Arthur Lake and Jerry Lewis, though Jerry is lot more goofy. I always thought Lake's Dagwood was a lot like Ozzie Nelson. 

I dunno....

I don't recall any Blondie movies in which Dagwood was always either coming back from with, or going to the malt shop for a quart of ice cream.  ;) 

And we DID know what Dagwood did for a living.   :D 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

On 11/9/2021 at 4:34 AM, musicalnovelty said:

I am also very disappointed that the prints TCM has been showing are not the ones with the original Columbia titles & credits restored (that AMC had in the 1990s).

Rich - I was fortunate to tape all the AMC airings!  Leigh Harline wrote the original main title theme. Here are the original titles to one of my favorites:

I suppose I'm also in favor of original production credits airing as much as humanly possible, although the OP's agony this wasn't the case is something that is largely ignored by me. Better they air at all than air without a handful of second of corporate opening and closing credits, right?

Well, I never was aware of the Blondie movies until the early '70's when a local TV station started showing them on Sat. matinees.  So the King Features titles are the only ones I'm familiar with.   But the first thing I noticed was this intro music, changed slightly for these guys  ;) 

And here it is from the Blondie films, but slowed down.

:D Sepiatone

23 hours ago, Ray Faiola said:

Rich - I was fortunate to tape all the AMC airings!  Leigh Harline wrote the original main title theme. Here are the original titles to one of my favorites:

Notice that in the opening credits it lists Daisy as "himself". Daisy was supposed to be a female.  She even had pups in "Blondie's Blessed Event". But in reality Daisy was played by a male dog. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, midnight08 said:

Notice that in the opening credits it lists Daisy as "himself". Daisy was supposed to be a female.  She even had pups in "Blondie's Blessed Event". But in reality Daisy was played by a male dog. 

So was Lassie.  At least most of them to the best of my knowledge.  The reason being(according to Lassie trainer RUD WEATHERWAX, is that male dogs are easier to train than b**ches.(or female dogs, if you will)  Which I'm sure most married women will attest to.  ;) 

8 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

IT'S THE SAME GUY! (er, music)

yep.  Obviously, King Features had a hand in both the BLONDIE movies and the BEATLES cartoons.  ;) 

Sepiatone