Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Wave Tuesdays

gabryant

Is it me, or does the website missing something about this spotlight series?

I'm seeing Eastern European last Tuesday and Australian New Wave from the 70's tonight. Then the next two Tuesdays focus on director Gordon Parks.

The schedule link points toward the entire schedule.

TCM mods often don't create a new sub-forum under TCM Programs and they didn't for this one.    Thus it is up to us users to create such forums.

There were a few posts about this New Wave spotlight but they were all negative:  E.g.    clueless folks asking questions like "why did TCM show a bunch of Italian movies last Tuesday?".

Anyhow I'm glad you created this thread;  I have been watching this spotlight since it has a lot of films I have never seen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I started with the Japanese films from about a week ago. I never realized that there was a "Japanese new Wave", but then watching "The Warped Ones" cured me of that lack of knowledge.

Up until now, my main exposure to Japanese films was Akira Kurosawa and (sheepishly) Godzilla (Gojira).

But in the Warped Ones, I could see the influence of growing up and living under US occupation following the war and a rejection of those values. There seemed to be a passing resemblance to the British post-war films, especially the "kitchen sink dramas" of the early 60's ("The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner", "Saturday Night and Sunday Morning") , disaffected youth throwing off the WWI and post-war mentality of England.

• Like 2

TCM Spotlight: New Waves Around the World

Tuesdays in November

Join us each Tuesday evening as we present films from around the globe showcasing some of the most well-known classic film movements. See the Schedule

==============================================

evidently there W AS an article,

but's disappeared

:blink:

this new site's a REAL P-I-T-A   !!

:(

Here's the article TCM did for the New Wave titles shown in October:

https://www.tcm.com/articles/Programming-Article/021460/tcm-spotlight-new-waves-around-the-world

(I couldn't find a link for this any more on the web site either.  I suppose this is now considered 'old news'.)

I don't think they ever made an equivalent article for the 2 dates in November.

• Thanks 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings