Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Spot the error

TopBilled

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

You got it. Paula Raymond plays Gig Young's wife. There is no Paul Raymond in the cast.

Is that a  cover for a DVD or some other after-market product?

I ask because I assume it was not produced as part of the original promo for this film by Republic.

This poster looks similar but the actors are listed at the bottom and does use Paula Raymond.

Citysleeps.jpg

Wow,   it appears the last two examples from State of the Union and The Best Years of Our Lives were errors created by the studio and part of the studio's release of the film.

And we have people at this forum that knock TCM hosts for making such minor mistakes.    These were done by the studio who owned the rights to that film.

Oh, the shame,  the horror!   (but I do find this interesting and fun,  so keep providing more).

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Dargo said:

And, Fredric March's name is misspelled as "Frederic" in the closing credits of The Best Years of Our Lives.

Sorry, didn't mean to include that giant blank field there. I don't know how to X it out. I was going to say this makes me realize I probably misspelled his first name in my posts for the December schedule.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Because someone at Universal forgot to put the word "copyright" or the copyright symbol in front of the year on the opening credits, CHARADE (1963) automatically entered the public domain.

And why many years later Charade is presumably the Universal title that airs on TCM more than any other.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Here's an obvious error...

293EAA04-ED53-4392-8605-12A90ECD5F09_1_201_a

Adolphe Menjou's name is misspelled in the opening credits of STATE OF THE UNION (1948).

Only in the reissue! Here's his name in the original MGM titles:

adolphe.jpg

They also misspelled Hepburn's name as KATHERINE in the reissue main titles.

5 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Interesting. So who was in charge of the reissue?

Well, Paramount acquired it along with the rest of the Liberty assets. They, in turn, sold it to MCA (EMKA) along with their pre-48 library. I've never found any reference to actual theatrical engagements so the titles may have been prepared for syndication. It was commonplace for syndicators to remake titles so as to eliminate original release company references (AAP, Unity Television, NTA etc).

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Barton_Keyes said:

Universal Pictures has controlled distribution rights to STATE OF THE UNION since at least 1980, so these errors would probably be on them.

Actually, they've had the rights since 1956. But Paramount still could have made the reissue titles. Either one or t'other.

2 minutes ago, Ray Faiola said:

Well, Paramount acquired it along with the rest of the Liberty assets. They, in turn, sold it to MCA (EMKA) along with their pre-48 library. I've never found any reference to actual theatrical engagements so the titles may have been prepared for syndication. It was commonplace for syndicators to remake titles so as to eliminate original release company references (AAP, Unity Television, NTA etc).

So do the original titles still exist? Could they be restored?

2 minutes ago, Barton_Keyes said:

Universal Pictures has controlled distribution rights to STATE OF THE UNION since at least 1980, so these errors would probably be on them.

Interesting.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings