Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SKIDOO ALERT!!!

Everything about it seems bizarre....

The LSD trips...

The end credits that are sung completely aloud by Harry Nilsson ...

Groucho Marx as a gangster named "God"....

Jackie Gleason on acid...

Carol Channing running around braless in a see-through blouse...

Dancing trash cans...

Groucho's head on the top of a nail....

It makes Lylah Clare seem normal by comparison.....

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

if i recall correctly, the brief clip i saw on youtube kinda reminded me of the RODNEY DANGERFIELD/EDIE MCCLURG "sitcom from Hell" scenes in NATURAL BORN KILLERS.

What, Oliver Stone actually picked on an opiate-of-the-masses TV show that WASN'T Laugh-In?  Okay, so it wasn't the Nam 60's, but couldn't they have, like, been watching Nick TVLand reruns?

And all I've ever seen of Skidoo was the trailer, but it was...all I needed.  😑  Everything about even that was a time capsule of bad "Hello, Fellow Young Hippie People" attempts for old retired entertainers in the mainstream media to grasp a fad they didn't understand but thought they had to submit to.  Like the movie version of that Batman episode with Milton Berle as Louie the Lilac.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, EricJ said:

And all I've ever seen of Skidoo was the trailer, but it was...all I needed.  😑  Everything about even that was a time capsule of bad "Hello, Fellow Young Hippie People" attempts for old retired entertainers in the mainstream media to grasp a fad they didn't understand but thought they had to submit to.  Like the movie version of that Batman episode with Milton Berle as Louie the Lilac.

"Hello, Fellow Young Hippie People"....Love it. There was a brief window when showbiz types were furiously playing cultural catch-up with movies like The Magic Christian, Candy, Myra Breckinridge and this opus from Otto Preminger. When they pretty much all flopped the thrill ride was over. Thankfully, there was a new generation of filmmakers waiting in the wings to start really reflecting what was going on in American culture.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Don't forget the 1969 Hope/Gleason comedy HOW TO COMMIT MARRIAGE.  The scene was groovy, man!  :) 

There were ♦bunches♦ of late '60s/early '70s low-budget and low-rent "Time Capsule" movies released by Something Weird Video that would never turn up on TCM.  However, these low-grade movies ARE interesting for those who dig the time period no matter how good or bad they are.  Like, ya know?  

Remember Sly Stallone's 1970 movie THE PARTY AT KITTY AND STUD's PLACE?  Also known as "The Italian Stallion".  I recall reading where Sylvester said he was dead broke and "Party at Kitty and Stud's" was a paycheck that kept him off the street he was so destitute at the time.   I believe he said his paycheck was $200.     

• Haha 1
18 hours ago, DougieB said:

"Hello, Fellow Young Hippie People"....Love it. There was a brief window when showbiz types were furiously playing cultural catch-up with movies like The Magic Christian, Candy, Myra Breckinridge and this opus from Otto Preminger. When they pretty much all flopped the thrill ride was over. Thankfully, there was a new generation of filmmakers waiting in the wings to start really reflecting what was going on in American culture.  

I never saw it, but do remember hearing a bit about it so I watched the offered clip in this thread.  The first thing I thought was exactly what you posted in the quote I entered. I must mention though...

It does seem to have quite an interesting line-up.  But it's listed for a time not convenient for me, and I've no way to record it.  Otherwise I'd look in for a laugh.  Those "Hello fellow young hippie people" movies that  seem to get the "counterculture" all wrong can be a hoot.  

Sepiatone

• Like 1
On 11/13/2021 at 1:01 PM, Sepiatone said:

It does seem to have quite an interesting line-up.  But it's listed for a time not convenient for me, and I've no way to record it.  Otherwise I'd look in for a laugh.  Those "Hello fellow young hippie people" movies that  seem to get the "counterculture" all wrong can be a hoot.  

Agreed. My favorite is The Love-Ins (1967), with two reporters from an "underground" paper helping to promote a new LSD/Free Love guru. Of course, Skidoo had the actual Timothy Leary shilling for it, so I guess that gets it pride of place.

• Haha 2
27 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I’ve made it through about 15 minutes. It’s pretty Godawful, but John Philip Law looks smoking hot as a hippie named “STASH.”

(Which, as bad as the movie is, that’s a great character name.)

1968 gave you two versions of Mr. Law: angelic/avian (Barbarella) or scruffy (Skidoo)

New Beverly Cinema Twitterissä: "John Phillip Law, star of such New Bev  faves as Death Rides A Horse (1967), Danger: Diabolik (1968), and Barbarella  (1968), was born on this day in 1937.…

SKIDOO, John Phillip Law, Carol Channing, Alexandra Hay, 1968 Courtesy  Everett Collection ACHTUNG AUFNAH

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm watching WIlliam Friedkin talk about The French Connection, and how he had an instinct for the kind of actors he wanted for the film,  and I'm wondering if Preminger told people he had an instinct that it would work, and of course, everyone followed along because, well, he's Otto Preminger.

• Like 3

I once had a molar that a dentist broke off in pieces without injecting enough novocaine in my gum beforehand.

But, in retrospect, that was more fun than watching Skidoo.

vintage_actors on Twitter: "What a smile ! Jack Nicholson at the dentist  1960 in "the little shop of horrors" 😷 #jacknicholson  https://t.co/lIaYt342rl" / Twitter

"Now first promise me, Doc, promise me. No novocaine!!!"

• Haha 2