Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The original "Airport" movie is a classic and has aged very well- but the sequels are another story "Airport 75" might be the funniest disaster movie ever made- Karen Black is always good no matter the role  but Charlton Heston seems to be sleep walking.  Gloria Swanson looks great playing herself in a role they had offered to Garbo ?!  The best is Linda Blair and singing nun Helen Reddy.  I think this was made of a made for tv movie and released theatrically- and let's not forget a young Erik Estrada- playing a woman crazy Latino!  a must see for laughs free on Tubi

• Like 2
3 hours ago, jaragon said:

The original "Airport" movie is a classic and has aged very well- but the sequels are another story "Airport 75" might be the funniest disaster movie ever made- Karen Black is always good no matter the role  but Charlton Heston seems to be sleep walking.  Gloria Swanson looks great playing herself in a role they had offered to Garbo ?!  The best is Linda Blair and singing nun Helen Reddy.  I think this was made of a made for tv movie and released theatrically- and let's not forget a young Erik Estrada- playing a woman crazy Latino!  a must see for laughs free on Tubi

Might have the quality of a made-for-TV movie, but it wasn't.   It was number 7 at the box office in 1974.  Earthquake and The Towering Inferno were also in the Top 10 that year, ahead of this one.   You'd think with everything else going on at the time (Vietnam, Watergate/Nixon resignation, oil crisis, inflation, etc.) people wouldn't want to see even more destruction and death on screen, but I guess you could always point to that and say, "Well, at least I'm not on that plane or in that burning building..."

Carol Burnett spoofed it on her show in December of that year, and called it "Disaster  '75"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Might have the quality of a made-for-TV movie, but it wasn't.   It was number 7 at the box office in 1974.  Earthquake and The Towering Inferno were also in the Top 10 that year, ahead of this one.   You'd think with everything else going on at the time (Vietnam, Watergate/Nixon resignation, oil crisis, inflation, etc.) people wouldn't want to see even more destruction and death on screen, but I guess you could always point to that and say, "Well, at least I'm not on that plane or in that burning building..."

Carol Burnett spoofed it on her show in December of that year, and called it "Disaster  '75"

This is almost as funny as the real film!

21 hours ago, jaragon said:

I love that you tagged your post "disaster spectacle camp", which is perfect. There's something about all-star casts, with each one going the distance to stand out, that brings out the ham in everyone. And in sequels it gets worse, because producers are trying to outdo themselves to top the last one. Even with the first one, it was still a little derivative. Earlier movies like The High and the Mighty (1954), Back From Eternity (1956) and The Crowded Sky(1960) were variations on the same movie-stars-in-peril theme. Even Lost Horizon (1937) sort of falls within the genre. My favorite is The Crowded Sky; not only does each member of the cast have a backstory, they have "inner monologues" to fill in character specifics and plot points for the audience. Too much information, folks.. The best is Patsy Kelly as an agent shepherding her "new James Dean" client to a screen test in Hollywood. When the method actor confronts real fear, the results are hilarious. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, DougieB said:

I love that you tagged your post "disaster spectacle camp", which is perfect. There's something about all-star casts, with each one going the distance to stand out, that brings out the ham in everyone. And in sequels it gets worse, because producers are trying to outdo themselves to top the last one. Even with the first one, it was still a little derivative. Earlier movies like The High and the Mighty (1954), Back From Eternity (1956) and The Crowded Sky(1960) were variations on the same movie-stars-in-peril theme. Even Lost Horizon (1937) sort of falls within the genre. My favorite is The Crowded Sky; not only does each member of the cast have a backstory, they have "inner monologues" to fill in character specifics and plot points for the audience. Too much information, folks.. The best is Patsy Kelly as an agent shepherding her "new James Dean" client to a screen test in Hollywood. When the method actor confronts real fear, the results are hilarious. 

I need to see the "Crowded Sky".   The camp value was in the old Hollywood stars who must have thought hamming it up in one of these movies would revive their careers or even get them an Oscar like it did for Helen Hayes.  The casting seems to be classic Hollywood glamour- Gloria Swanson and future tv stars Eric Estrada, Gil Gerard.  These days with all the new security it would be very hard to do an Airport type film but I'm sure they will make a comeback and we can expect to see Faye Dunnaway or Sharo Stone in them

• Like 1
14 hours ago, jaragon said:

I need to see the "Crowded Sky".   The camp value was in the old Hollywood stars who must have thought hamming it up in one of these movies would revive their careers or even get them an Oscar like it did for Helen Hayes.  The casting seems to be classic Hollywood glamour- Gloria Swanson and future tv stars Eric Estrada, Gil Gerard.  These days with all the new security it would be very hard to do an Airport type film but I'm sure they will make a comeback and we can expect to see Faye Dunnaway or Sharo Stone in them

OMG, yes, by all means. Somebody put together an "Airport" movie for Faye Dunaway immediately!

• Like 1
On 11/15/2021 at 9:09 AM, DougieB said:

OMG, yes, by all means. Somebody put together an "Airport" movie for Faye Dunaway immediately!

I think La Dunaway still has one great performance in her

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

"Airport...the Concorde" (1979) might the silliest one of all- with John Davidson,  Andrea Marcovicci as an  over age Russian gymnast,  Robert Wagner as an evil scientist and Charo as well Charo.