Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM- What happened?

VikingHead2000

I'll try this again.  I don't mind enriching my understanding of the historical times in which all these films were made.  My background gives me pretty firm footing already, but nothing in this life is ever really complete.

What I do mind are the people TCM has selected to help me progress toward that completion.  When, during any of these "conversations" that rankle some folks here, has anyone heard a broader, more flexible view of a certain topic than the one presented by the host or hosts?  These are big, complex subjects that can be looked at from several angles -- legitimate angles, don't forget.  Yet all we hear is a TCM chorus singing one note, and only one note.

And now, if anyone wants to advocate for a more nuanced understanding of human life as it was decades ago, that person risks being denounced as an adherent to some boogeyman cause or ideology.  We simply wonder about things and want to know more deeply why they were the way they were.  And if we ever get to that completion of understanding, then we will have found the Truth.  

OK. There we go.

• Like 1

So are we all enjoying the bread and circuses?  Unintended consequences and all, it's literally the greatest show on earth right now.  I'm enjoying the hell out of it.  Please, don't stop.  😁

https://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/captain-obvious-popcorn.gif

For everyone else, there is the FF button, if you can find it - or haven't worn it out already (like me but new remotes are free).

• Like 1

Yes, MovieCollector.  This is why we no longer watch TCM as much as we did -- especially the primetime spots.  Our overall viewing has gone down about 80%, so whom has TCM found to replace me?  That's a problem if there are more out there like me; but maybe I'm all alone and the only one that takes people seriously when they tell me I can switch the channel.  I do.

But these days I can't do all that popcorn -- gets caught in my teeth.  I'm open to suggestions for a substitute.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

TCM was never geared to the working class with conservative values. It's like some people are just realizing what TCM's socio-political agenda is all about. The proverbial rose-colored glasses have come off. They are lamenting the loss of a channel that was sort of a fictional construct in their minds.

The main difference now is that TCM is much more transparent about its agenda, but it was always a liberal progressive agenda. The films were always scheduled by themes to reflect those purposes.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, brianNH said:

That's fascinating.  So right from the start TCM, by showing movies from the "classical age" of Hollywood, was telling half of the country to go s***w themselves.  

They would trot out John Wayne movies, making Wayne Star of the Month a few times, to appease conservative viewers. Though one of those times they made John Wayne a co-star of the month with liberal Katharine Hepburn and capped it off with a showing of ROOSTER COGBURN (1975)-- an interesting experiment. 

They've never done a series on the Vietnam war, because that was a war favored by conservatives. They might occasionally show THE GREEN BERETS, a John Wayne flick, but that's like tossing one peanut at a heard of elephants.

The most curious display of "conservatism" on TCM was the month they did a spotlight on films condemned by the Catholic church and had a nun present those films. But she was the mildest, most Democratic nun you'd ever seen and this series was really just an excuse to air BABY DOLL and look at Eisenhower era values through a deliberately cracked lens.

13 hours ago, RealClassic said:

In TCM's "instructional" promo tonight featuring your esteemed panel of expert film buffs, I almost choked on my own tongue when Messr. Dave Karger said that he and his colleagues were explicitly there to provide warnings to the TCM audience. The team went on to apologize for and explain why TCM still has the temerity to broadcast Al Jolson in blackface (in the first talkie ever made in 1927), Gone With The Wind (the 1939 film epic which they seem to think only has redeeming value because it features a "strong female lead") and No Way Out, another film from decades ago in which the entire point is racism in the 1950s (and which therefore NEEDS NO EXPLANATION).

Let me blunt to the entire new TCM panel of so-called experts. We do not require your condescending "woke-splaining" of any film from decades ago. We all know what was going on, thank you.  Also, please stop running all the woke, latter-day documentaries and short films with an agenda. You think you are on the cutting edge of changing society or something. You're not. It's boring and offensive and you are destroying everything about TCM we once loved.

In short, we are grown-ups. We do not need to be baby-sat. We know what's going on. We do not need anything explained.  We just want to be entertained by the classic films of the classic film era. So just run them, and please, no more "trigger warnings."  We aren't ten years old.

Many thanks.

Not everyone who may be watching is as well-versed as you or others might be.  Surprisingly, there might be some 10 year old children watching, and that explanation may help them understand what's going on.

• Like 2

Well, recalling when I was a 10 year old,  it seemed NONE of that crap interested me enough to allow it to influence me .   Seems to me they're creating problems where there aren't  any.  I say, let those children's parents deal with it.  It's not TCM's  or any other TV network's job to raise our children.  Or any politician's job either.  I mean,

Just because maybe someone at TCM thinks some things are "problematic" or feel they should be "problematic" is no reason to assume they are for everybody.  Unless they can show documentation that they've received a heavy number of viewer complaints. 

Sepiatone

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, brianNH said:

Yes, MovieCollector.  This is why we no longer watch TCM as much as we did -- especially the primetime spots.  Our overall viewing has gone down about 80%, so whom has TCM found to replace me?  That's a problem if there are more out there like me; but maybe I'm all alone and the only one that takes people seriously when they tell me I can switch the channel.  I do.

But these days I can't do all that popcorn -- gets caught in my teeth.  I'm open to suggestions for a substitute.

You are not alone.  I watch so little TV with ads that I couldn't even place that actor eating popcorn.  So I had to ask around online.  Turns out he was called "Captain Obvious" and was popular from recent TV commercials.  This happens to me fairly often - Internet memes branched off from TV commercials or celebrities which I am unfamiliar with.  Just because I don't watch much TV (besides really old movies).

I haven't had popcorn in a while.  One of my snacks at home is tortilla chip rounds and medium thick-n-chunky salsa sauce.  So if you see a guy in the supermarket with a shopping cart full of chips and salsa sauce, that might be me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TopBilled said:

They would trot out John Wayne movies, making Wayne Star of the Month a few times, to appease conservative viewers. Though one of those times they made John Wayne a co-star of the month with liberal Katharine Hepburn and capped it off with a showing of ROOSTER COGBURN (1975)-- an interesting experiment. 

They've never done a series on the Vietnam war, because that was a war favored by conservatives. They might occasionally show THE GREEN BERETS, a John Wayne flick, but that's like tossing one peanut at a heard of elephants.

The most curious display of "conservatism" on TCM was the month they did a spotlight on films condemned by the Catholic church and had a nun present those films. But she was the mildest, most Democratic nun you'd ever seen and this series was really just an excuse to air BABY DOLL and look at Eisenhower era values through a deliberately cracked lens.

Speaking of Vietnam movies, I wouldn't mind a series showing nuanced movies about it--Coming Home, Born on the Fourth of July, things like that. They probably wouldn't go there, though. Might seem too unpatriotic or something.

• Like 2

Very  true.  I started to notice the distinctive  stench  of red commie agitprop on TCM about fifteen years ago and it's only

gotten worse since then. The  schedule might  as well have been assembled  by V. Molotov or, on some nights, by Uncle Joe himself. 

Sad.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Vyacheslav N. Molotov (born 1890) almost lived long enough to see the dawn of TCM in 1994.   Molotov, for whom those 'cocktails' were named, died in November 1986 at age 96.   

I wouldn't mind seeing some Vietnam war movies.  I've got a tape upstairs I keep meaning to bring down and watch of THE BOYS IN COMPANY 'C' (1978) . . . it's a Columbia movie. 

I also wouldn't mind seeing John Wayne go after dastardly Hawai'i-based Commies in BIG JIM McLAIN (1952).  I know TCM has aired it before so I wanna see some Communist Red Devils get all busted up by Big Marion!  DAM RIGHT! 

• Haha 1

Any political contemporary who managed  to  survive Stalin was very bright and/or very lucky.  

I think Big Jim McLain was on  several months ago. It is one of the funnier  red  scare movies,

though  it's  hard to get a mental pictures  of  reds in Hawaii.  Sadly, Marshall Dillon didn't

survive. 

4 hours ago, Twokeets said:

Speaking of Vietnam movies, I wouldn't mind a series showing nuanced movies about it--Coming Home, Born on the Fourth of July, things like that. They probably wouldn't go there, though. Might seem too unpatriotic or something.

Both of those have been shown on TCM before, along with The Deer Hunter and Apocalypse Now...

2 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Both of those have been shown on TCM before, along with The Deer Hunter and Apocalypse Now...

We should mention that both COMING HOME and BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY are based on Ron Kovic's experiences. Of couse Kovic switched from conservative to liberal and his story is not exactly balanced politically. But those are interesting films to broadcast and discuss.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember a couple other 1980s-based "Vietnam" movies:  CEASE FIRE (1985) and JACKNIFE (1989).   And there's another for which I forgot the title of . . . JOHN LITHGOW stars as a Vietnam vet living in the woods and son Ralph Macchio tried to find him.  Think it was a 1988 release.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I remember a couple other 1980s-based "Vietnam" movies:  CEASE FIRE (1985) and JACKNIFE (1989).   And there's another for which I forgot the title of . . . JOHN LITHGOW stars as a Vietnam vet living in the woods and son Ralph Macchio tried to find him.  Think it was a 1988 release.

"Distant Thunder"  very good movie with Ralph and John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/18/2021 at 7:26 AM, TopBilled said:

Not sure i agree with the take that conservatives favored the vietnam war.  Conservatives tend to support war efforts with their patriotism but it was a very unpopular war and one that LBJ jumped into to win re-election by fabricating the attack in the Gulf of Tonkin.

I just wish TCM could not view viewers as either conservative or liberal and just show films without an agenda behind them.   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shank Asu said:

Not sure i agree with the take that conservatives favored the vietnam war.  Conservatives tend to support war efforts with their patriotism but it was a very unpopular war and one that LBJ jumped into to win re-election by fabricating the attack in the Gulf of Tonkin.

I just wish TCM could not view viewers as either conservative or liberal and just show films without an agenda behind them.   

As a participant inthe Vietnam War, I can assure you that the conservatives were the ones who most supported the war. Initially liberals supported it, but quickly became disillusioned as it grew larger and there was no indication of victory - ever.  Brief history: war began under Truman (Dem); expanded by Eisenhower (Rep.); expanded further by Kennedy (Dem) and greatly expanded by Johnson (Dem); reduced by Nixon (Rep.) and ended by Congress under Ford (Rep.)

It was a different time from now, Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson and Nixon were all war time veterans.  None of them wanted to be the first president to lose a war.  Truman and Eisenhower got sucked in by the French - bad decisions that set the course for US.   The people generally supported our war against Communism, even liberals.  

But make no mistake it was the conservatives who never gave up supporting the war until the bitter end.  I was a member of a Republican organization in 1964 when Goldwater ran for president.  Key part of platform was support of the war.  Johnson partially became such a big supporter to counter Goldwater.  In addition, Westmoreland, JCS, McNamara and others convinced Johnson that if he sent in more troops, planes, ships, etc., we could win the war.  Generals always want more, but often does not make a bit of difference.