Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hardy Family behind closed doors

8 hours ago, Leighcat said:

the dreariness of it alone would lead to something like this!

I've got to be honest. I live 800 miles away from the ocean. I didn't even know where Catalina was until I Googled it. I thought it was some exotic foreign locale possibly. I had no idea it was something near Los Angeles. I presume it's terribly expensive. Have you had the money to spend time there and then dismiss it as dreary?

11 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I've got to be honest. I live 800 miles away from the ocean. I didn't even know where Catalina was until I Googled it. I thought it was some exotic foreign locale possibly. I had no idea it was something near Los Angeles. I presume it's terribly expensive. Have you had the money to spend time there and then dismiss it as dreary?

When I was growing up in the L.A. area circa the 1960s, I twice took what was called the Great White Steam Ship...

c180ce26a122f1efea5f9c207c419384.jpg

...from San Pedro to Avalon. It took around an hour and a half for this old rust bucket which was  built in 1924 (and sunk off Ensenada, Baja Mexico in 1997), to make the 26 miles ("across the sea, Santa Catalina is'a waitin' for me, Santa Catalina the island of romance, ROMANCE, romance, romance"...c'mon, SURELY someone here remembers that 1958 Four Preps hit recording, RIGHT?!!) one way trip there.

By that time the island of Catalina and it biggest town Avalon had pretty much seen better days, BUT I've recently heard that they've done a very nice job of fixing up the place in recent years and now makes for a great day trip or for a stay of a few days.

(...the preceeding has been brought to you by: The Santa Catalina Tourist Bureau AND by the recollections of this old f*rt here)  ;)

29 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Their tryst led to the first  abortion in the Hardy  family, though it wouldn't be  the last. 

And, of course, there were always those rumors about Judge Hardy and "Aunt" Milly . . . 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, lydecker said:

And, of course, there were always those rumors about Judge Hardy and "Aunt" Milly . . . 

Yes, Judge Hardy that  sly old  dog. He  had everybody fooled. And "Aunt" Milly, better  known as  Dora from 

the chorus  line down at the Carvel Hi Jinx Club.  As for the other topic, L.B. Mayer  had  a  long list of discreet

providers. 

• Haha 2
9 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Well, the Hardy family hasn't been the same since Oliver went way out west.  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

Or even since Thomas moved far from the madding crowd. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1
On 11/14/2021 at 10:43 PM, Dargo said:

("across the sea, Santa Catalina is'a waitin' for me, Santa Catalina the island of romance, ROMANCE, romance, romance"...c'mon, SURELY someone here remembers that 1958 Four Preps hit recording, RIGHT?!!)

It was this song and it's reference to "across the sea" that made me assume Catalina was much further away from the mainland US than it actually is!

4 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

It was this song and it's reference to "across the sea" that made me assume Catalina was much further away from the mainland US than it actually is!

Remember here sewhite, The Four Preps specifically sang "26 MILES across the sea", and not "SOMEWHERE beyond the sea" like Bobby Darin did!

(...and so I'm still havin' a little problem understandin' your confusion here, my friend)  ;)