Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best church movies

Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 7.52.31 AM

I read a review on the IMDb earlier this morning where the writer said MASS APPEAL (1984) is one of the best church movies of all time. I would have to agree. What do you think are the best church-related movies? Catholic or non-Catholic...here's my list:

1. A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS (1966)
2. MASS APPEAL (1984)
3. I'D CLIMB THE HIGHEST MOUNTAIN (1951)
4. DOUBT (2008)
5. I CONFESS (1953)
6. ONE FOOT IN HEAVEN (1941)
7. GOING MY WAY (1944)
8. THE CARDINAL (1963)
9. COME TO THE STABLE (1949)
10. THE KEYS OF THE KINGDOM (1944)

• Like 4
54 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I read a review on the IMDb earlier this morning where the writer said MASS APPEAL (1984) is one of the best church movies of all time. I would have to agree. What do you think are the best church-related movies? Catholic or non-Catholic...here's my list:

2. MASS APPEAL (1984)
4. DOUBT (2008)
5. I CONFESS (1953)
7. GOING MY WAY (1944)
8. THE CARDINAL (1963)

For me i have Four. (Until i think of More.. ha.)

(The) Keys of the Kingdom.

Lilies of the Field.

Brimstone.

News of the World. (Only reason i Include this one is due to that Lovely Finale' of an ending.)

Dreamland. (Tend to Look at the Absolutely EXQUISITE, Glistening, and Glowing Performance of Margot Robbie in this Amazing Feature As (A Bit of) a Preacher.)

• Like 4

When I produced the soundtrack CD for THE KEYS OF THE KINGDOM, a fellow collector shared with me a  scene that was deleted from the final release wherein Father Chisholm (Peck) spends time with a fallen woman (Helen Craig) in a small village.

A lesser-known but very interesting film about the church is THE FIRST LEGION with Charles Boyer and directed by Douglas Sirk.

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, Ray Faiola said:

When I produced the soundtrack CD for THE KEYS OF THE KINGDOM, a fellow collector shared with me a  scene that was deleted from the final release wherein Father Chisholm (Peck) spends time with a fallen woman (Helen Craig) in a small village.

A lesser-known but very interesting film about the church is THE FIRST LEGION with Charles Boyer and directed by Douglas Sirk.

I haven't seen THE FIRST LEGION. 

Is the missing scene for KEYS included as an extra on the DVD?

With all the high-tier Catholic movies, I'm almost ashamed to mention Disney's The North Avenue Irregulars (1979) as a nice depiction of local suburban Protestant community churches.

Not really much out there for the New England and Minnesota Lutherans besides canonical biopics, eg. the Joseph Fiennes Luther (2003).

luther2003.jpg

• Like 3

It's melodramatic, but that's kind of why I like Irving Rapper's The Miracle (1959). Carroll Baker played a novice in a Spanish convent who fell hard for an injured officer (Roger Moore) being cared for by the nuns. Much of the story takes place away from the church and convent, but it's anchored by the fact that the Virgin has stepped down from her place of honor to assume the form of the runaway postulant, as a place-holder until she comes to her senses (or rather, away from her senses) and returns to her calling. Sort of like in DeMille movies, the religious framework was used to make allowances for a series of colorful transgressions which ultimately had the effect of leading a sinner back to redemption and the church.

• Like 3

Stars in My Crown  with Joel McCrea.  There's a preacher we could use right now, folksy and down to earth, but all about compassion and justice! 

I think the dilemma that Walter Pidgeon suffers in How Green Was My Valley is compelling, but not as terrific as the scene where Maureen O'Hara dresses down the hypocrites in that Presby chapel who condemn the unmarried mother.

I also think The Two Popes with Jonathan Pryce and Anthony Hopkins is a fabulous film and character study  by two brilliant actors.  Pryce's Pope Francis seems to really understand the mercy of God. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Does THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC (1929) count as a church movie? Anyway, it is certainly a stunning film.

I CONFESS is one of my favorites, and DOUBT is wonderful. THE BISHOP'S WIFE was my mother's favorite religious-themed film, and I love it, too.

I also enjoy THE SINGING NUN and for a fun church film, THE TROUBLE WITH ANGELS. :D

• Like 4
5 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I haven't seen THE FIRST LEGION. 

The First Legion is or used to be available on VHS, which is how I have seen it. It's one of the rare films that could have been twenty minutes longer to flesh out some of the characters, but I like it. It has one spectacular shot at the climax of the film. It's one of several Sirk films that Universal has done nothing with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, King Rat said:

The First Legion is or used to be available on VHS, which is how I have seen it. It's one of the rare films that could have been twenty minutes longer to flesh out some of the characters, but I like it. It has one spectacular shot at the climax of the film. It's one of several Sirk films that Universal has done nothing with.

Grab this DVD-R while you can.

https://www.amazon.com/First-Legion-Demarest-Charles-Boyer/dp/B01FKY4FUQ

61TQjVyeiHL.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
19 hours ago, rosebette said:

I also think The Two Popes with Jonathan Pryce and Anthony Hopkins is a fabulous film and character study  by two brilliant actors.  Pryce's Pope Francis seems to really understand the mercy of God. 

Maybe it would work as part of a double feature with THE SHOES OF THE FISHERMAN (1968)...?

How about THE ROSARY MURDERS('87)  largely filmed in and around Southwest Detroit's HOLY REDEEMER Catholic church.  I've shot a few weddings and a couple quinceaneras there.  And when my Mother's family moved to Detroit from Pennsylvania in '34 they took an apartment across Vernor Ave. from the church.

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1
On 11/15/2021 at 10:24 AM, TopBilled said:

2. MASS APPEAL (1984)
4. DOUBT (2008)
5. I CONFESS (1953)
7. GOING MY WAY (1944)
8. THE CARDINAL (1963)

I've always preferred "The Bells of St Mary's". It's a feminist reworking of "Going My Way" by the same director, Leo McCarey.

• Like 1