Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1930 film Holiday

Oceanblue

The movie starred Mary Astor, William Holden,  Ann Harding, and Hedda Hopper.  I never knew Hedda was an actress, prior to her celebrity gossip career.  The plot revolved around a middle class man engaged to a socialite.  The film was pretty good.  The sets were amazing.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Oceanblue said:

The movie starred Mary Astor, William Holden,  Ann Harding, and Hedda Hopper.  I never knew Hedda was an actress, prior to her celebrity gossip career.  The plot revolved around a middle class man engaged to a socialite.  The film was pretty good.  The sets were amazing.

Holiday was remade with Cary Grant and Kate Hepburn (1938).

Also note that the William Holden in the 1930 version is not the Holden that made it big;  The Holden in Holiday was born in 1862 and died in 1932.

Holiday (1938): Kate and Cary's Hesitant Romance

23 minutes ago, Oceanblue said:

Thanks for clearing that up.  Have you seen both versions?

I have seen both versions;   I favor the 1938 version due to the great chemistry between Grant and Hepburn.      Robert Ames doesn't have the charm that Grant has and Ann Harding was rather flat in the 1930 version verses Hepburn in 1938.

I do like Mary Astor more than Doris Nolan as the self-centered sister.

Also note that Edward Everett Horton plays professor Nick Potter in both versions.    

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...