Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Summer Place (1959)

Web50

A SUMMER PLACE, like SUSAN SLADE, has those unintentionally amusing and very American Puritan moral lectures to the audience -- "What do I tell my daughter? To be a half-virgin?  "How do we speak to our children?"  "Well, you can start by letting them know that they must accept the consequences of experimentation...." 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

A SUMMER PLACE, like SUSAN SLADE, has those unintentionally amusing and very American Puritan moral lectures to the audience -- "What do I tell my daughter? To be a half-virgin?  "How do we speak to our children?"  "Well, you can start by letting them know that they must accept the consequences of experimentation...." 

And don't keep a giant, sparkly cigarette lighter where the baby can grab it.

All those lectures obviously got internalized because then we had Doris Day in Lover Come Back lecturing herself (in song!):"Should I be fire or ice? Should I be bad or nice? Should I surrender?" The movie-going public loved to have it both ways; they wanted to see what they could then tut-tut over.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Roy Cronin said:

Don't forget Lana in Peyton Place:

You don't recommend classes in baby-making, do you?

Dolores Hart wanted to talk about "backseat bingo" and "playing house before marriage" in class in Where the Boys Are. Suzanne Pleshette also ran afoul of the school blue noses in Rome Adventure when she recommended a banned book to a student. Ah, book banning. Those were the days. 

• Like 2