Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

COMMERCIALS? ON NO....

22 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I'd have no problem with TCM showing commercial advertisements.  It's how they handle it that concerns me.  See,  AMC could have adopted the idea of showing those commercials IN BETWEEN the movies, and still show the movies without commercial interruption.  

AMC initially started with a break halfway through the movie to air commercials. It went downhill from there.

• Thanks 1
22 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

But, I never noticed any hinting that the channel is considering commercial interruptions.

Sepiatone 

I'm only reporting the questions asked in one of those Warner Bros movie pulse surveys I received. The first question asked me to identify myself as a regular TCM view.

All subsequent questions were about car purchases, car insurance, home insurance, and financial planning.

Now if they want to use the TCM mailing list to target spam mailing to me, I can just mark it spam. But my concern is that they are looking at running some sorts of commercials on these products during the films.

TCM did get a new CEO last year, and she has been making changes. Changed all of the logos and intros. Cancelled the Backlot. It's not uncommon for a parent company (Warner Communications in this case) to charge the CEO with finding ways to increase revenue.

If TCM needs to increase revenue, I would rather they charge premium fees like HBO.

It would be easy enough for us loyal fans to ask TCM what their intent is. We're a different bunch from the people who subscribe to HBO.  Let them clarify to the fans the purpose of asking those questions of TCM viewers, as well as future direction for the channel.

4 minutes ago, gabryant said:

AMC initially started with a break halfway through the movie to air commercials. It went downhill from there.

I suspect that was during the time after I broke from the ex, and was living in a Southwest Detroit neighborhood and had no cable service(Detroit never got it until about '89-'90) 

Sepiatone

On 11/17/2021 at 5:07 PM, gabryant said:

I just answered one of those A-List surveys from Warner Brothers.

They wanted to know, Is TCM the primary cable channel I watch (which the answer is yes).

Then they asked me if I planned to purchase a car in the next year, my living circumstances (owner or renter), and then if I would be thinking about purchasing home insurance, car insurance, financial planning and a few other similar things in the next year.

This smells like a prelude to TCM running commercials.

American Movie Channel and Independent Film Channel were good - until they started running commercials. Now, I only watch AMC for the Walking Dead series and nothing else.

I'm living with the logo and graphics changes. But if they start running commercials, that will be a deal breaker for me. I can go to streaming services and watch classic movies.

I certainly hope you didn't answer this survey.  That's way too much info to tell Warner Bros. or anyone else about yourself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
2 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I suspect that was during the time after I broke from the ex, and was living in a Southwest Detroit neighborhood and had no cable service(Detroit never got it until about '89-'90) 

Sepiatone

It was the mid-2000's.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, filmnoirguy said:

I certainly hope you didn't answer this survey.  That's way too much info to tell Warner Bros. or anyone else about yourself.

Yes, I admit that I was dumb to do so. Half of those surveys anymore, I quit before I complete it.

I wish I had quit this one.

I used to get those promo ads about 'auto insurance' -- CALL for a free quote today!  OK, then.  I called a few times just to see if I could get a lower rate . . . it never seemed to go in my favor! 

The person on the other end of the line asked when my vehicle's warranty expired.  I replied '1966'.  Stony silence.  Then I added "But y'all sent me the promo didn't ya?  I didn't ask for it!".

And so it went.  😉 

• Haha 3
2 minutes ago, gabryant said:

It was the mid-2000's.

Ah!  Now I remember....  The first cable Co. in Detroit was named for and owned/operated by a close friend of then mayor Coleman Young.  And I don't recall AMC being among available content.   Several other channels that suburban cable services offered weren't available either.   But I moved back downriver in '96 and likely no longer watched AMC preferring TCM instead.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I was thinking . . . I don't watch any other movie channels anymore.  Just TCM. 

The FOX MOVIE CHANNEL is one channel above TCM on my DirecTv setup; I don't know if they run commercials during movies?  I guess one o'these days I need to find a movie to watch on FNC and check it out.  Are there commercials?  If so, where are they placed?  Hmm . . .

I don't think they do (at least the old films they show) But I haven't watched or recorded anything in a long time. I forget to check what's on.

LSDoormat:  I may be putting the AMC demise a bit too early; but I have some rather hazy memories of it, which for some reason won't exit my brain as I would like them to.

My wife and I got married in 1982, and when we set up house we were delighted that AMC was on the cable line-up.  We both enjoyed watching old movies.  Then I think it was by the end of the 80's that AMC started messing around with its focus by including newer films and soon after that began running their own programming -- starting off with the old-time radio-themed "Remember WENN."  Nick Clooney was brought on as daytime host for a short while.  But I have this odd feeing that the movies and programs were starting to veer off into more pop-culture tastes.  

Then one day they started the commercials.  First in-between the movies, then one commercial segment half-way through, and finally ads whenever they wanted.  By then, the station was no longer of any interest to us; and I don't think I've watched anything on that channel in 25 years.

• Like 1

You guys just gotta control your silly paranoia, and listen to the self-appointed schoolyard monitors. They know what's best for you. They know what should concern you (they will tell you all about it), and they know if any of your existing concerns are nothing more than comedy material for them to use for ridicule.

So, really, don't embarrass yourselves by having your own thoughts, and you be sure to line up so they can use you to get their yucks.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, brianNH said:

LSDoormat:  I may be putting the AMC demise a bit too early; but I have some rather hazy memories of it, which for some reason won't exit my brain as I would like them to.

My wife and I got married in 1982, and when we set up house we were delighted that AMC was on the cable line-up.  We both enjoyed watching old movies.  Then I think it was by the end of the 80's that AMC started messing around with its focus by including newer films and soon after that began running their own programming -- starting off with the old-time radio-themed "Remember WENN."  Nick Clooney was brought on as daytime host for a short while.  But I have this odd feeing that the movies and programs were starting to veer off into more pop-culture tastes.  I remember they started showing German soft-soft-core sex comedies (heavily edited) about ski resorts and what-not.  Think Benny Hill on the Spitzbuehl.  

Then one day they started the commercials.  First in-between the movies, then one commercial segment half-way through, and finally ads whenever they wanted.  By then, the station was no longer of any interest to us; and I don't think I've watched anything on that channel in 25 years.

Per Wikipedia, AMC started running ads in 1998.  They started running them during movies in 2001.  The big rebrand happened in 2002.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, brianNH said:

My wife and I got married in 1982, and when we set up house we were delighted that AMC was on the cable line-up.  We both enjoyed watching old movies.  Then I think it was by the end of the 80's that AMC started messing around with its focus by including newer films and soon after that began running their own programming -- starting off with the old-time radio-themed "Remember WENN."  Nick Clooney was brought on as daytime host for a short while.  But I have this odd feeing that the movies and programs were starting to veer off into more pop-culture tastes.  I remember they started showing German soft-soft-core sex comedies (heavily edited) about ski resorts and what-not.  Think Benny Hill on the Spitzbuehl.  

AMC came on the air in 1984. When I left Texas in 1993 they were still a commercial free classic movie station.  Then there is this article from October 1993 when Ted Turner first announced the founding of TCM. 

AMC is not cowed by the big new kid. Says Kate McEnroe, AMC's general manager: "The Turner people tend to be a bit hyperbolic. We don't really see them as a challenger."

Nor is she worried about Turner squeezing AMC out of the niche it pioneered.

By her count, Hollywood made about 10,000 movies between 1930 and 1960, a period the industry refers to as the "Golden Age." Of that, about 7,800 films are in good enough condition to run today, says Ms. McEnroe.

Sure, Turner has a large share, but AMC has exclusive rights running into the next century on about 3,000 films. Ms. McEnroe figures that's enough movies to run a classic channel.

In addition, Ms. McEnroe sees a clear difference between AMC and Turner Classic. Limiting its selection to movies between 1920 and 1970, "AMC goes deeper, while Turner Classic will go broader," featuring any movie.

So at the end of 1993, AMC saw itself as a classic film station. Remember WENN ran from 1996 to 1998.  In 2001 AMC made and televised a documentary on silent/early talkie star William Haines. I doubt anybody at AMC today would have any idea who he is. They are probably too busy coming up with their own version of Naked and Afraid. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry, guys. I guess I just have more cobwebs in the attic than I thought.  I'm trying to visualize where we living at the time these changes were happening, and I can't seem to put the two timelines together the right way.  

So, sorry to be the monkey wrench on this thread.  You can all go back to what you were doing beforehand.  Over and really far out.

16 hours ago, unwatchable said:

Oh, yes, how could I forget, slaytonf- you're the guy who posts cartoons in lieu of a logical argument.

Just bang out some more nonsense about "paranoia", then post a  cartoon.  Gosh, that is just so brilliant. I'm curious- do you actually believe people dutifully watch this garbage you post?

Your response to this will be yet another cartoon. In the words of Emerson, "a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

So, don't forget, boys and girls- if you see the way TCM has been trending for quite some time, don't express your concerns about any further changes. You're nothing more than a  paranoiac to be ridiculed and not taken seriously. After all, that's what these boards are here for- so that you can be used as fodder for the smarmy among us.

On 11/19/2021 at 12:17 PM, brianNH said:

My wife and I got married in 1982, and when we set up house we were delighted that AMC was on the cable line-up.  We both enjoyed watching old movies.  Then I think it was by the end of the 80's that AMC started messing around with its focus by including newer films and soon after that began running their own programming -- starting off with the old-time radio-themed "Remember WENN."  Nick Clooney was brought on as daytime host for a short while.  But I have this odd feeing that the movies and programs were starting to veer off into more pop-culture tastes.  

I use Videoredo, an offline video editor on one of my computers, to chop commercial blocks out of stuff I record from TV.  Basically once you get the video onto your computer, it has a simple timeline editor that goes from left to right and shows the entire length of the video.  You can select frame-accurate beginning and ending points where you want your video to begin and end.  Also you can select the beginning and ending points to cut out each commercial block.  You first manually scan through the video and set up all these edit points, then after that it does them all at once.  Most movies aired on other movie channels have a fixed amount of commercial blocks - about the same length and within expectation.

For a movie I recorded off AMC in recent years, after I got the timeline editor set up, all the cuts sort of looked like a zipper, or even better a piece of logarithmic graph paper.  It had a few wider cuts at the left (normal-length commercial breaks at the start of the movie), then as the movie went on, it had narrower and narrower breaks towards the right.  There had to have been well over 50 commercial breaks in all, with most of them being between the middle and the end of the movie.  Towards the end, they were less than a minute in length, then less than half a minute in length, and then less than that.  By the time I had finished setting up all the cuts on the timeline editor, I remember thinking it was the most ridiculous thing I had ever seen on it, and what a brainf--- it must have been for anyone who actually watched it.  I wish I had done a screen capture, because I don't intend to recreate it.  That was for an evening movie on AMC in recent years...

• Like 3
On 11/19/2021 at 11:25 AM, Sepiatone said:

Ah!  Now I remember....  The first cable Co. in Detroit was named for and owned/operated by a close friend of then mayor Coleman Young.  And I don't recall AMC being among available content.   Several other channels that suburban cable services offered weren't available either.   But I moved back downriver in '96 and likely no longer watched AMC preferring TCM instead.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Finally recalled that cable company name.

BARDEN CABLE, owned by DON BARDEN, a long close compatriot of the mayor, which is how he wound up with the gig.  

Sepiatone