Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Kay Francis as SOTM January 2022

TopBilled

22 hours ago, Hibi said:

RIGHT! Why feature Kay in the first place then? I guess she's a "cheap" SOTM as they have easy access to her WB films. But there's no need to present her in such a tacky and inaccurate fashion. That sleeping around comment would've never got past RO.  Sad.

Which is why Karger is such a poor choice to ever "host" a SOTM from the classic era.  He just doesn't get them (except Bette Davis, apparently.)  Why in the world can't TCM use Jacqueline Stewart to do something other than host silents or the occasional "we-must-apologize-for GWTW-ish-type-film" segments??  She's a well-rounded film scholar and she should be in the rotation to do SOTMs.  I'd much prefer to see any of the hosts rather than Karger.  What an incompetent lightweight!  Professionals (as RO was) check their copy for inaccuracies before they record it.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, lydecker said:

Which is why Karger is such a poor choice to ever "host" a SOTM from the classic era.  He just doesn't get them (except Bette Davis, apparently.)  Why in the world can't TCM use Jacqueline Stewart to do something other than host silents or the occasional "we-must-apologize-for GWTW-ish-type-film" segments??  She's a well-rounded film scholar and she should be in the rotation to do SOTMs.  I'd much prefer to see any of the hosts rather than Karger.  What an incompetent lightweight!  Professionals (as RO was) check their copy for inaccuracies before they record it.  

Agree about Stewart. I don't mind Karger usually, but keep him away from SOTMs!!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lydecker said:

The ideal choice would have been feminist critic Molly Haskell, who has hosted segments before on TCM.

4 hours ago, lydecker said:

Jacqueline Stewart now has a full time gig as the the inaugural artistic director at the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures.

Thus I assume she is too busy to be a part-time TCM host  (but I like the idea).

She also is still associated with the University of Chicago as a professor (but may be going over to UCLA, which would be great if she headed up their restore film division).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TopBilled said:

The ideal choice would have been feminist critic Molly Haskell, who has hosted segments before on TCM.

I was thinking about her yesterday but she had the gig before .I saw her at The Essentials series she was married to Andrew Sarris  a celebrated film critic,she is a pro., Jeanine Basinger would be good also, as far as I'am concerned,I would keep Ben for stability and trade the 3 others,keeping Eddie.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 10:11 AM, Hibi said:

Well Karger was at it again last night. Among the inaccuracies from just the early films I heard:

"Kay's BRIEF career."  SIXTEEN YEARS is a brief movie career?????????

Paraphrasing: Kay was no longer queen of the lot when she made Confession in 1937. She most certainly WAS. She wasn't relegated to B films until 1938. And even then, she was still making top salary (5,000/wk) Bette started rising in 1938, but she didnt officially become "queen" until 1939 when she took over Kay's dressing room!

I noticed what you mention,he almost stated she was finished,like I said yesterday TCM needs to hire new writers,heck they can Haskell,Maltin or Basinger to do the writing if they are stuck,Actually the host could do the research and submit to a scholar ,never mind,it would be worse...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I think Molly Haskell would be a super choice.  I remember when she co-hosted The Essentials with RO.  He was not always happy about her disagreeing with his points of view, but that's what made that pairing so much fun to watch.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Jacqueline Stewart now has a full time gig as the the inaugural artistic director at the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures.

Thus I assume she is too busy to be a part-time TCM host  (but I like the idea).

She also is still associated with the University of Chicago as a professor (but may be going over to UCLA, which would be great if she headed up their restore film division).

Not sure that position at the Academy is full time . . . I think the Academy is  thrilled to have an "association" with Jacqueline Stewart since they consistently fight the "Oscars Too White" label, but I believe I read this is more of an "advisory" position, not a 9 to 5 type thing.  And, if she's isn't "really" a TCM host, then TCM should say so.  I'd like to see more of her, not less. She's knowledgeable, talented, has great screen presence and I doubt that she would have said SOTM Kay Francis "slept around."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lydecker said:

Not sure that position at the Academy is full time . . . I think the Academy is  thrilled to have an "association" with Jacqueline Stewart since they consistently fight the "Oscars Too White" label, but I believe I read this is more of an "advisory" position, not a 9 to 5 type thing.  And, if she's isn't "really" a TCM host, then TCM should say so.  I'd like to see more of her, not less. She's knowledgeable, talented, has great screen presence and I doubt that she would have said SOTM Kay Francis "slept around."

I see that Stewart is part of those here-are-our-host spots but I can't recall the last time she has actually hosted any films.

Anyhow,  I agree that I would like to see more of her.    I have to assume there are various reasons (e.g.  her availability,  her salary being more than other host,  etc..),  for the lack of her hosting  (but we are seeing more of Eddie so that is a plus).

• Like 1

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings