Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, Sir_Rickster said:

I'm 21 years older than my wife and she's hot...not absurd to me.  Folks that don't know don't think anything strange, (neither do the ones that do know) At least nobody said so...lol. In this film though Angie is not really his type, dont think she fits in this movie very well.

Yes, but "Sir Rickster". Do you think this might have anything to do with her maybe wanting to marry into royalty?

Marrying into royalty can be quite the aphrodisiac for some women TOO, ya know!

(...uh-huh, I hear that there's a lot of advantages to marrying into royalty...take that Markle chick for instance!)  ;)

LOL

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

When Chance kissed Stumpy on top of his bald head I wonder if that was the closest thing to sexual action that the old coot had had in a while.

Walter Brennan B&W Rio Bravo 8x10 Photo

"Do it again, Chance, but let's wait until Dude and the others aren't around."

 

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, I understand that one really sucks.

 

Big  time, if it's operating correctly. Maybe there's a simpler explanation--Angie just needed a very powerful pair of glasses

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

Big  time, if it's operating correctly. Maybe there's a simpler explanation--Angie just needed a very powerful pair of glasses

OR, maybe John Wayne just gave out an inordinate amount of pheromones AND to such a degree that ANY woman regardless their age just found him irresistible.

And so, maybe it was more her olfactory than her sense of vision or lack thereof which did the trick in Angie's case here.

(...yeah, THAT could be it TOO, ya know)

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I still find the whole thing pretty unbelievable even for a studio  era film. I  mostly ignore it and  just enjoy the other parts of

the movie. 

Cheez and crackers, the old star with another gamine ...I could see it working... or she gets her pick of any one of these three

1*lZ5Q4GyJ_iqxMcVsCx43aw.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Allhallowsday said:

Thanks for the laugh, and it's so true and I blame the script first. 

Yep, unless there was any interference, the writer has to take the blame. 

Sometimes the older or way older man with the young  chick works fairly  well and  other times  it's  just rather embarrassing.

I  find the combo of John Wayne  and Angie to  be the latter, but it doesn't ruin the movie for me. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fun movie.  In a very general non-pedantic sort of way.  I am our family historian, and have all of my family's old photos - or most of them that relate to my bloodline.  My uncles and aunts just gave me packages of old family photos over the years and knew they could entrust them to me (RIP).  This movie in certain ways is like looking through the old photos of the "fun" side of our family, my dad and his brothers - in their younger years.  Love it!  Certainly in my top 50 or 100 (though I don't keep track of silliness like that).  Ricky adds to it.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

For a few years Rick Nelson lived in Errol Flynn's old home and there was talk of ghosts (or, at least, a ghost) there. There were a couple of poltergeist incidents, one experienced by Nelson, a similar one by his daughter, involving crashing objects and the sounds of a locked room being torn apart with everything in perfect order when it was later inspected. It shook up the daughter so much that she left the place shortly afterward.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Movie Collector OH said:

Fun movie.  In a very general non-pedantic sort of way.  I am our family historian, and have all of my family's old photos - or most of them that relate to my bloodline.  My uncles and aunts just gave me packages of old family photos over the years and knew they could entrust them to me (RIP).  This movie in certain ways is like looking through the old photos of the "fun" side of our family, my dad and his brothers - in their younger years.  Love it!  Certainly in my top 50 or 100 (though I don't keep track of silliness like that).  Ricky adds to it.

I'm with you MCO, Rio Bravo for me is a fun movie. Love the scene of Dean and Ricky singing My phony my rifle and me. I thought Wayne.Martin,Brennan and Ricky worked really well together. Good western.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TomJH said:

For a few years Rick Nelson lived in Errol Flynn's old home and there was talk of ghosts (or, at least, a ghost) there. There were a couple of poltergeist incidents, one experienced by Nelson, a similar one by his daughter, involving crashing objects and the sounds of a locked room being torn apart with everything in perfect order when it was later inspected. It shook up the daughter so much that she left the place shortly afterward.

Would that have been Tracy Nelson, Tom? 

Can't think of her without thinking of her guesting on the Seinfeld sitcom, and where the storyline consists of her dating George but it becomes another of his short-lived romances because everyone thinks she looks just like Jerry, and this thought starts to wear on him...

tracy-nelson-iein001819-24-03-2017-12-40

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, unwatchable said:

My comments do not refer to age differences between men and women. Age has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the idiotic mating ritual Hawks puts his characters through. It seems that Hawks' ideal woman has to be "one of the guys," which I find more than just a bit odd. Did Hawks think the gals wanted the guys to be "one of the gals"? He had some strange ideas.

So, you claiming Hawks' idea of the "ideal woman" isn't chauvinistic enough  for you?    

And despite all the highfalutin talk,  I'd say Angie's character having "daddy issues" would have sufficed.  ;) 

Sepiatone

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

I'm with you MCO, Rio Bravo for me is a fun movie. Love the scene of Dean and Ricky singing My phony my rifle and me. I thought Wayne.Martin,Brennan and Ricky worked really well together. Good western.

That's it, and we had a family made up of very different personalities, ensuring that the get-togethers could go just about any way, usually after some beer.  This movie totally reminds me of them.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Would that have been Tracy Nelson, Tom? 

Can't think of her without thinking of her guesting on the Seinfeld sitcom, and where the storyline consists of her dating George but it becomes another of his short-lived romances because everyone thinks she looks just like Jerry, and this thought starts to wear on him...

tracy-nelson-iein001819-24-03-2017-12-40

 

 

 

Yes, it was Tracy Nelson who got spooked, if you'll pardon the expression. As I said, Rick had a similar incident in the house afterward which was related to her.

"My father's death was such a cataclysmic thing for our family," she later said, "Maybe the smashing was a warning. Who knows?"

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

I agree his acting is "meh" at best in RIO BRAVO.  He was no ELVIS or BING, but he could sing. 

I think he eventually became better at singing.  Some of his early songs on the Ozzie and Harriet shows were pitiful.

Also, I have heard that they did a lot of "editing" and other things in the studio while the recordings were being made to make him sound better.  Of course, he was better than Paul Peterson.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, ElCid said:

I think he eventually became better at singing.  Some of his early songs on the Ozzie and Harriet shows were pitiful.

Also, I have heard that they did a lot of "editing" and other things in the studio while the recordings were being made to make him sound better.  Of course, he was better than Paul Peterson.

There was no more "editing" (particularly vocals) on RICK NELSON's records than any other recording artist of that time.  RICK had a fantastic backing band lead by JAMES BURTON on guitar.   He had many hits for his first label - some classic Rock n' Roll  - Imperal followed by Decca for which he continued having hits into the 70s.   Everybody tried to sound better in the studio... echo chambers, overdubbing, all typical. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

Probably unpopular opinion here. For me, Dean Martin ruins every film in which he appeared except for the ones with Jerry Lewis and the ones with the Rat Pack. 

Dean Martin appeared in an inordinate amount of junk, particularly during the '60s. He was about as inspired as the material he was handed. But I always thought he was quite excellent in Rio Bravo. Dean was, of course, a huge fan of westerns. I saw him at the show in Bandolero which was okay but no Rio Bravo.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

And while Dino was never any Olivier, he would surprise me with how good he was in The Young Lions and Some Came Running.

Btw, here's a little something showcasing Dino and the actor (who some think IS the real "King of Cool" ;) ) who would basically reprise the same role in El Dorado that Dino had in Rio Bravo...AND who co-starred together and as is mentioned in this clip, in the film 5 Card Stud...

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...