Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1968. It was a very good year.

As part of nosing around for another thread, I stumbled on this realization.  I guess you could say this about any year, but lookit the titles (I include important movies, movies I like, and important movies I don't necessarily care for):

2001: A Space Odyssey

Barbarella

Basiers Volés (Stolen Kisses)

Belle de Jour--released here in '68

The Boston Strangler

The Bride Wore Black

Bullitt

Charley

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Countdown

A Dandy in Aspic

Danger: Diabolik

Duffy

Funny Girl

Hot Millions

Hour of the Wolf

I Am Curious (Blue)

If. . . .

Je t'aime, Je t'aime

The Killing of Sister George

King of Hearts--made in '66, released here in '67, so it's out

The Love Bug

Monterey Pop

Night of the Living Dead

No Way to Treat a Lady

The Odd Couple

Oliver!

Once Upon a Time in the West

The Party

Petulia

Planet of the Apes

The Producers

Romeo and Juliet

Rosemary's Baby

The Scalphunters

The Swimmer

The Thomas Crown Affair

Up the Junction

Vixen!

What's So Bad About Feeling Good?

Where Eagles Dare

Yellow Submarine

• Like 4

images-1.jpg

Ron Moody taught some boys to pick a pocket or two; Joanne Woodward struggled to create a new life; Tony Curtis went on a killing spree; Mia Farrow had a devil of a problem on her hands; and Jack Lemmon moved in with Walter Matthau.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-01-11%2Bat%2B6.42.5

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-01-10%2Bat%2B3.00.2

My list:
1. THE LION IN WINTER (historical drama)
2. OLIVER! (British musical)
3. 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (science fiction)
4. PLANET OF THE APES (science fiction)
5. THE SWIMMER (surrealist drama)
6. RACHEL, RACHEL (literary adaptation)
7. THE ODD COUPLE (situation comedy)
8. THE SUBJECT WAS ROSES (drama)
9. BULLITT (thriller)
10. THE BOSTON STRANGLER (biographical crime drama) and THE BROTHERHOOD (gangster drama)

Screen shot 2017-04-12 at 3.13.24 PM.png

Honorable Mentions:
BUONA SERA, MRS. CAMPBELL (Italian-American comedy)
BYE BYE BRAVERMAN (literary adaptation)
CHARLY (literary adaptation)
THE DETECTIVE (literary adaptation)
THE HEART IS A LONELY HUNTER (literary adaptation)
ICE STATION ZEBRA (literary adaptation)
IF…. (British coming of age drama)
THE KILLING OF SISTER GEORGE (British black comedy)
MADIGAN (literary adaptation)
THE NIGHT THEY RAIDED MINSKY’S (show biz comedy drama)
NO WAY TO TREAT A LADY (satirical thriller)
ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST (spaghetti western)
PETULIA (literary adaptation)
PRETTY POISON (psychological thriller)
THE PRODUCERS (satirical comedy)
ROMEO AND JULIET (British-Italian Shakespearean adaptation)
ROSEMARY’S BABY (psychological horror)
STAR! (biographical musical)
SWEET NOVEMBER (romantic comedy drama)
WILL PENNY (western)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to be the proverbial "wet blanket" here guys, but sure,1968 might have been a "good year" for MOVIES, but I doubt either RFK or MLK Jr. cared for it much.

(...hey, just sayin')  ;)

LOL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
10 minutes ago, jakeem said:

1967 may have been better -- and more significant. Plus, it featured three (count 'em) major box-office hits for Sidney Poitier!

Pictures at a Revolution: Five Movies and the Birth of the New Hollywood -  Mark Harris - Book Review - The New York Times

The thread is about 1968 not 1967. Not sure why you felt a need to compare years..?

• Thanks 2

One of my favorite years.

Three of my favorites-

2001 A Space Odyssey

Rosemary's Baby

Planet Of The Apes

Here are a few not mentioned-

Targets - Boris Karloff plays a elderly horror film star, he is making a personal appearance at a drive in, where the real life horror of a mad sniper is lurking.

I Love You Alice B Toklas- One of Peter Sellers' funniest. A great satire of both the straight middle class and anti establishment hippie culture.

The Anniversary- a great later role for Bette Davis as a one eyed matriarch of a highly dysfunctional family 

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Sorry to be the proverbial "wet blanket" here guys, but sure,1968 might have been a "good year" for MOVIES, but I doubt either RFK or MLK Jr. cared for it much.

(...hey, just sayin')  ;)

LOL

Well they're dead so I doubt they have feelings about it one way or another. But their families may feel it was a bad year. :) 

• Sad 1
3 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

The thread is about 1968 not 1967. Not sure why you felt a need to compare years..?

Sorry we hurt your field, Mister.

8 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Here are a few not mentioned-

Targets

I Love You Alice B Toklas

The Anniversary- a great later role for Bette Davis as a one eyed matriarch of a highly dysfunctional family 

Nice to see a few obscure titles mentioned. It's been awhile since I've seen THE ANNIVERSARY. The only thing I remember about it is her wearing that eyepatch. 

• Thanks 1

Well, I didn't see many movies in '68, and many of the ones released and made in that year that were mentioned here I thought were good, but not ALL on the lists. but as for the year....

It was one of mixed emotions for me as on the one hand, I went to my first rock concert(Hendrix) in February of that year, but on the other, my best friend joined the marines and went to basic that July.

Sepiatone

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

It was one of mixed emotions for me as on the one hand, I went to my first rock concert(Hendrix) in February of that year, but on the other, my best friend joined the marines and went to basic that July.

I entered 2nd grade that fall.  The only movie we saw was CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG at a drive-in.   I still have a soft spot for it. 

It's only years later that I'd seen any of the other 1968 films.  And THE ANNIVERSARY I only know 'cause of the eye-patch...

Unless I overlooked, two of my favorite films from 1968 were overlooked - both Universal:

th?id=OIP.CrL8C6H4RjsnE21gCvxe_gHaEB&pid=Api&P=0&w=287&h=156th?id=OIP.O8IvXmT7gpA-t1jq5DgtSAHaFj&pid=Api&P=0&w=261&h=196

On a universal level, 1968 is generally regarded as a dreadful year.

5 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Nice to see a few obscure titles mentioned. It's been awhile since I've seen THE ANNIVERSARY. The only thing I remember about it is her wearing that eyepatch. 

One line has always stayed with me.  Bette Davis turns to a young woman -- I think she's the fiancée of one of Bette's sons -- and says something to the effect of, "Would you mind sitting over there?  Body odor offends me."

Others from 1968:

SECRET CEREMONY

THE HEART IS A LONELY HUNTER

SKIDOO (currently under discussion in another thread)

THE LION IN WINTER

THE LEGEND OF LYLAH CLARE

FACES

6 hours ago, Dargo said:

Re: "Sorry to be the proverbial "wet blanket" here guys, but sure,1968 might have been a "good year" for MOVIES, but I doubt either RFK or MLK Jr. cared for it much."

Hitters didn't care for it much either:

th?id=OIP.yxuZyOfSZQKXCXg96uWB6gHaE_&pid=Api&P=0&w=237&h=160th?id=OIP.l7sbhmKpxfrin4fy6tneVwHaKT&pid=Api&P=0&w=117&h=163

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NoShear said:

Unless I overlooked, two of my favorite films from 1968 were overlooked - both Universal:

th?id=OIP.CrL8C6H4RjsnE21gCvxe_gHaEB&pid=Api&P=0&w=287&h=156th?id=OIP.O8IvXmT7gpA-t1jq5DgtSAHaFj&pid=Api&P=0&w=261&h=196

On a universal level, 1968 is generally regarded as a dreadful year.

What are they?

Tx.

For those unfamiliar with the movie, I would recommend Danger: Diabolik, a campy but entertaining cat-and-mouse thriller involving a master thief and plodding detective.  It has the advantage of a super cool lair for the thief, the presence of Marisa Mell, and a good title song:

Pure sixties groove.

• Like 4

I may have missed it earlier if someone mentioned it already, but Shame is a personal favorite from 1968, and one of my favorite Ingmar Bergman films.

Also The Great SilenceThe FixerKuronekoHour of the WolfThe Snow WomanKill!, Fando & Lis, and Vixen!

Witchfinder General, one of the great horror films of all time, was released in 1968. It not only features one of Vincent Price's best performances (he agrees), it is one of the most tragically beautiful movies that culminates in a pit of sadness. This film is about the presence of evil in the midst of beauty, and ultimately, the victory of evil.

EjKlEyDXkAED4kR.png

f348b2b77d0fd3e2cd5b95eecd964c8f95d734ce

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, NoShear said:

Hitters didn't care for it much either:

th?id=OIP.yxuZyOfSZQKXCXg96uWB6gHaE_&pid=Api&P=0&w=237&h=160th?id=OIP.l7sbhmKpxfrin4fy6tneVwHaKT&pid=Api&P=0&w=117&h=163

Ah yes. The age of the expanded strike zone.

(...good point, NS)

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Swithin said:

Witchfinder General, one of the great horror films of all time, was released in 1968. It not only features one of Vincent Price's best performance (he agrees), it is one of the most tragically beautiful movies that culminates in a pit of sadness. This film is about the presence of evil in the midst of beauty, and ultimately, the victory of evil.

Although Vincent Price praised Witchfinder General and admired his own performance in it, the filming of the movie was not a pleasant, fondly remembered experience for him.

According to Kim Newman in his book Nightmare Movies, when [Michael] Reeves made a suggestion on the set, Price objected and told the director, "I've made 87 films.
     What have you done?" 

Reeves responded, "I've made three good ones."

Price later recalled, "Reeves hated me . . . He didn't want me at all for the part [Reeves wanted Donald Pleasence]. I didn't like him, either. It was one of the first
     times in my life that I've been in a picture where the director and I just clashed." -- Wikipedia

I saw The Conqueror Worm (as it was titled in the USA) on a double-bill with another AIP horror flick (might have been Cry of the Banshee). I didn't dig it -- too violent for my delicate tastes.

Flash-Forward to the 21st Century

Being a lifelong, inveterate horror film fan, Witchfinder General is, of course, in my movie library.  I've also got a one-sheet poster of The Conqueror Worm.

HMM-conqueror-worm.jpg?resize=970,755

But, Michael Reeves' "masterpiece" is still not one of my favorite horror films . . . because of the violence.

2 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Re: "Ah yes. The age of the expanded strike zone.

(...good point, NS)"

I thought I'd throw that curve in, Dargo, and sure enough: You not surprisingly hit it out of the park!!

Speaking of The Year of The Pitcher and hitting it out of the park, Dargo, 'your' Mickey Mantle got a freebie from Denny McLain that season. 

• Like 1

A  "Private Eye" movie that I think is woefully underappreciated was released in 1968.  That would be "P.J."  starring George Peppard, Gayle Hunnicutt, Raymond Burr (playing a truly nasty character -- a far cry from 'Perry Mason' or 'Lt. Ironside).  Also has a good supporting cast. 

After decades of "P.J." being unavailable on any homevideo medium KINO-LORBER released it to DVD and Blu-Ray a couple of months ago.   :) 

I've seen the "TV version" of P.J. and it's  a far cry from the original theatrical version.  8 minutes missing and at least one scene re-arranged in the television version.  (TBS used to air the Tv version in the 1980s; I've seen a copy of that TBS broadcast).

EDIT:  Just thought to mention the director of "WITCHFINDER GENERAL" has been dead for 52½ years.  Michael Reeves was just 25 when he was found dead in London in February 1969. 

• Like 1