Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1968. It was a very good year.

1 hour ago, slaytonf said:

. . . For those unfamiliar with the movie, I would recommend Danger: Diabolik, a campy but entertaining cat-and-mouse thriller involving a master thief and plodding detective.  It has the advantage of a super cool lair for the thief, the presence of Marisa Mell, and a good title song . . .

The entire musical soundtrack, composed by maestro Ennio Morricone, is favoloso and groovy!

• Like 1

DARK OF THE SUN features men's magazine pulp brought to shocking silver screen - including a pre-DELIVERANCE male rape:

th?id=OIP.Ns7XSQHl9dco5Mu4OZ_8FQHaEO&pid=Api&P=0&w=284&h=162

1 hour ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

I saw The Conqueror Worm (as it was titled in the USA) on a double-bill with another AIP horror flick (might have been Cry of the Banshee). I didn't dig it -- too violent for my delicate tastes.

Flash-Forward to the 21st Century

Being a lifelong, inveterate horror film fan, Witchfinder General is, of course, in my movie library.  I've also got a one-sheet poster of The Conqueror Worm.But, Michael Reeves' "masterpiece" is still not one of my favorite horror films . . . because of the violence.

Price evidently wasn't so easy to work with, but in the end, as usual, the director knew best.

The Conquerer Worm is not the best way to see the film. It's basically the same film, but Paul Ferris' musical score is not used. They got someone else to score it. Part of the story concerns the evil in the midst of beauty, and Ferris' gorgeous score enhances that. The "American" score does not.  Also the reading of poem, tacked on for the American version, detracts from the images of the screaming faces and the music.

Here's something I read about the relationship between Reeves and Price (Reeves evidently wanted Donald Pleasance for the role):

"The story of the clashes between the experienced Price and the younger Reeves make a great tale, and indeed I did once listen to a radio dramatization about it. Reeves deplored Price’s over-ripe acting style, and went to great lengths to rein him in. “I’ve made 87 movies. What have you done?” demanded Price grandly. Reeves responded, “I’ve made three good ones.” It seems likely that Reeves did not handle Price too well, or explain his intentions to his lead star too clearly. Nonetheless in spite of his anger at the time, Price later came to regard this as his greatest acting performance. He was probably right."

10 hours ago, Dargo said:

Re: "Sorry to be the proverbial "wet blanket" here guys, but sure,1968 might have been a "good year" for MOVIES, but I doubt either RFK or MLK Jr. cared for it much."

I think you might appreciate the following line about the ugly year of 1968 - possibly delivered by Robert Creamer, the now-late sportswriter, Dargo:

"It was just one **** thing after another".

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, rjbartrop said:

this blog is dedicated to the idea that 1966 was the best year in pop culture, and it posts a few compelling arguments.

And this poster, with its strategically-placed guitar, is undoubtedly one of them:

nashville-rebel-movie-poster-1966-1020209154.jpg.0afcee5d579b4a9fadd245a2dc658bd7.jpg

• Haha 1
17 minutes ago, Fausterlitz said:

Belle de Jour and King of Hearts are from 1967.  (Perhaps released in the US in '68?)

Belle de Jour was released here in '68.  Guess that's why it's on some lists of '68 movies.

King of Hearts it turns out was made in '66, and released here in '67.  So I guess the list I got it from was just plain wrong.  I have edited my original list.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Belle de Jour was released here in '68.  Guess that's why it's on some lists of '68 movies.

King of Hearts it turns out was made in '66, and released here in '67.  So I guess the list I got it from was just plain wrong.  I have edited my original list.

Well, if it makes ya feel any better here slayton, there was always that movie titled SOUP de Jour that was released in 1968.

Uh-huh, you know. That early neo-noir message movie which pressed that old saw about never playing poker with a guy named "Pops" and never eating at any place named "Mom's".

It of course especially promotes the second part of this, as the soup served inside Mom's Diner in this movie is killer, and don't mean this in a good way. Nope, it actually kills people.

(...btw...don't take the time to IMDb this one either...I'm just kiddin' again here...well, I thought this was funny anyway, dude...but then of course I would, wouldn't I)  ;)

Another movie I'd like to bring to people's attention is Je t'aime, Je t'aime by Alain Resnais.  Now I know seeing his name some will instantly have a negative reaction, considering his movies just a little bit less exciting than watching paint dry.  And it's the same with this movie, but for those who are into it, it's one of the most beautiful, agonizing love stories ever made.  A man recovering from a suicide attempt due to the death of the woman he loved, is convinced by scientists to participate in experimental time travel research.  Malfunctions in the machine--and his obsession--force him to repeatedly relive disjointed episodes from his affair.  The narrative is eventually fleshed out, giving us a portrait of his despairing preoccupation with her.

19 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Well, if it makes ya feel any better here slayton, there was always that movie titled SOUP de Jour that was released in 1968.

Uh-huh, you know. That early neo-noir message movie which pressed that old saw about never playing poker with a guy named "Pops" and never eating at any place named "Mom's".

It of course especially promotes the second part of this, as the soup served inside Mom's Diner in this movie is killer, and don't mean this in a good way. Nope, it actually kills people.

(...btw...don't take the time to IMDb this one either...I'm just kiddin' again here...well, I thought this was funny anyway, dude...but then of course I would, wouldn't I)  ;)

Looks like you got the idea for a good trashy horror movie.  First Pops scams the unsuspecting card players, then Mom dispatches them to avoid discovery. 

(Now, I wonder how they get rid of the bodies?)

11 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Looks like you got the idea for a good trashy horror movie.  First Pops scams the unsuspecting card players, then Mom dispatches them to avoid discovery. 

(Now, I wonder how they get rid of the bodies?)

Maybe like the two old biddies did in THIS one?...

6bb828e8c69166aa3954edfc1ae3e8cb.gif

• Like 1

A now-rare movie that was released in 1968: 

ROAD HUSTLERS, The.

There was a video release of theatrical trailers from 'Something Weird Video' a number of years ago and "The Road Hustlers" was one of the trailers featured on said video.  Except SWV never released the movie itself.  I think it's because there's not an extant film print.  If anyone else has seen the 'stuff' that SWV has issued over the years you'll know they were not picky about the condition of film prints.  They were just glad to find an existent print of ♦any♦ movie that was use-able enough for a transfer. 

On 11/21/2021 at 11:27 AM, Dargo said:

Sorry to be the proverbial "wet blanket" here guys, but sure,1968 might have been a "good year" for MOVIES, but I doubt either RFK or MLK Jr. cared for it much.

(...hey, just sayin')  ;)

LOL

Nor any male of draft age or most in the military for that matter.

13 hours ago, slaytonf said:

I don't understand the love and praise Belle de Jour gets.  It's the plot of a bad skin-emax softcore film and with horrible acting.  I almost laugh when i see the husband get wheeled in it's so cheesy.

The Bride Wore Black is a film i've been wanting to see for a while but have not been able to find.   

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Shank Asu said:

I don't understand the love and praise Belle de Jour gets.  It's the plot of a bad skin-emax softcore film and with horrible acting.  I almost laugh when i see the husband get wheeled in it's so cheesy.

The Bride Wore Black is a film i've been wanting to see for a while but have not been able to find.   

That's Loius Buñuel for you. 

You can always-ulp!-buy a DVD of The Bride Wore Black. 

43 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

That's Loius Buñuel for you. 

You can always-ulp!-buy a DVD of The Bride Wore Black. 

I know- and i do buy a lot of DVD's, but i won't pay $30 for one- especially for a film i've never seen.  I've never seen a reasonable price for it.

On 11/21/2021 at 8:27 AM, Dargo said:

Sorry to be the proverbial "wet blanket" here guys, but sure,1968 might have been a "good year" for MOVIES, but I doubt either RFK or MLK Jr. cared for it much.

(...hey, just sayin')  ;)

LOL

On the other hand, a great man came into the world that same year. So its wasn't all bad news. 👶🏾  🥳  🎂

And some pretty good movies too !

59 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

On the other hand, a great man came into the world that same year. So its wasn't all bad news. 👶🏾  🥳  🎂

And some pretty good movies too !

LOL

Ya know Gerald, if you were implying the use of the third person format here, you really should have placed quotation marks around the words "a great man" here, ya know.  ;)

(...btw, sorry I missed ya at the Red Car again this year)

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, ElCid said:

Nor any male of draft age or most in the military for that matter.

It would be another two years for me to get to the point where I had to worry about this sort'a thing, Cid.  ;)

(...but my usual luck in life would again prevail...my Draft Lottery number wasn't pulled out of that bin until the 360th time)

• Haha 1