Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Singer-guitarist Billy Hinsche (1951-2021)

Billy Hinsche, a touring member of The Beach Boys and a former teen idol thanks to his early days in a well-connected band with two second-generation celebrities, died of lung cancer Saturday at the age of 70.

His friend  actor Jon Provost, who starred in CBS' "Lassie" series, said Hinsche died on the same day as his 96-year-old mother, Celia.

See the source image

From 1964 to 1969, the Manila-born Hinsche teamed with longtime Beverly Hills schoolmates Dean Paul Martin (son of Dean and Jeanne Martin) and Desi Arnaz, Jr. (son of Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball) in the band Dino, Desi and Billy, which was signed by Frank Sinatra's Reprise record label.

See the source image

On September 19, 1965, the band appeared on CBS' "The Ed Sullivan Show" to perform "I'm a Fool," which also was the title of their debut album from Reprise. "I'm a Fool," written by Red West -- Elvis' pal --and - "Shindig" TV regular Joey Cooper, peaked at No. 17 on Billboard's pop chart.

Also on "The Ed Sullivan Show," the band performed "Not the Lovin' Kind," which was written by singer-producer Lee Hazlewood, who frequently collaborated with Nancy Sinatra. The song peaked at No. 25 on the Billboard pop chart.

In  1966, the band appeared in "Murderer's Row," the second of four movies starring Dean Martin as espionage agent Matt Helm. In the film, which also featured Ann-Margret, Karl Malden and Camilla Sparv, Dino, Desi and Billy performed the Tommy Boyce-Bobby Hart song "If You're Thinkin' What I'm Thinkin'." 

See the source image

After Dino, Desi and Billy disbanded in 1969, Hinsche  earned a bachelor of fine arts degree from the University of California, Los Angeles School of Theater, Film and Television. He also began a productive relationship with The Beach Boys and even performed with individual members of the group. His sister Annie was married to Carl Wilson for a time. 

See the source image

Dean Paul Martin was killed in a military  plane crash in 1987, which ended any hopes of a true Dino, Desi and Billy reunion. But Arnaz and Hinsche eventually joined forces with Martin's younger brother Ricci as the trio Ricci, Desi and Billy. Martin died in 2016.

See the source image

HilTHXQD_bigger.jpg

• Thanks 3

Thanks for posting this...somehow I had missed it. Although I may never recover from the horror of those blue spandex pants:

On 11/21/2021 at 4:06 PM, jakeem said:

See the source image

(must be where Derek Smalls got the cucumber idea)

• Haha 2

This has been an education.  I really never knew just who BILLY in the trio Dino, Desi & Billy was.   Can only say they were the earliest example of "bubble gum" pop I ever remember hearing.  ;) 

But at only one month older than me, I'll honestly say he was way too young to have died.

And Rest In Peace, Billy.

4 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

. Although I may never recover from the horror of those blue spandex pants:

And BELL BOTTOMS no less!  :lol:

Sepiatone