Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Two of my favorite ballet films are coming on back to back; The Red Shoes and An American in Paris.

There's so much to love about both these films.

The Red Shoes though tragic gives us a look into the world of a ballet company. Behind the scenes look at the training, the commitment and egos. Love the story by Hans Christian Andersen and the innocence of the young couple played by Moira Shearer and Marius Goring. . Good acting and dancing all around. My only question to the readers of this post is, do you think Lemorntov dies of a heart attack at the end? Look closely, he as white as sheet. I think he does.

An American in Paris - So much here to talk about. The very young and pretty Leslie Caron, who  did very well as an actress in films after her debut in An American in Paris. Hearing  songs like S'Wonderful, Our Love is Here to Stay  and I Got Rhythm are timeless. A story line that includes a rich woman shamelessly picking up young artists and musicians to hopefully get them to fall in love with her, and a concert pianist loafing in Paris. The ballet, we couldn't imagine anything so spectacular on film. Thank you Mr. Minnelli. Mr. Gershwin's music  made this film a perfect package.