Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help ID a movie, woman jumps out a window

This came up in the What Do They Have in Common game.  The quote is from Fausterlitz but I thought I'd post it here to see if any of our resident movie experts could help identify the movie:  

"... the final scene of a film in which a mother is trying to prevent criminals from taking her son.  After she jumps out a window, we see that she has used lipstick to write a message to the police on her clothes telling them where he is.  I thought the actress in question was Ann Dvorak, but I can't find anything in her filmography that includes this scene.  Do you happen to know what film that is?"

Here's the full original quote from the other thread:

11 hours ago, Fausterlitz said:

Yes, exactly, Peebs--and if "autodefenestration" isn't yet an official term, it definitely should be!

In the case of Stage Door and The Front the actual jumping-out-the-window part isn't directly shown (the camera discreetly cuts away after Andrea Leeds moves offscreen in the former; in the latter, the camera pans around Zero Mostel's hotel room, revealing curtains blowing).

Helen Mack's unsuccessful suicide attempt in His Girl Friday is the impulsive one (she's trying to teach the heartless journalists a lesson).

The non-suicide attempt is in The Prisoner of Zenda: Douglas Fairbanks Jr. realizes that in Ronald Colman he's facing a more formidable swordsman than he'd anticipated, and cheerfully jumps out the window into the moat below.

The scene in Ida is the longest, most realistic, and most disturbing.  (As in The Front, during the long preparation sequence, we don't quite recognize what's about to happen at first.)

Incidentally, I was hoping to use a scene (the final scene of another film) in which a mother is trying to prevent criminals from taking her son.  After she jumps out a window, we see that she has used lipstick to write a message to the police on her clothes telling them where he is.  I thought the actress in question was Ann Dvorak, but I can't find anything in her filmography that includes this scene.  Do you happen to know what film that is?

51 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

Dvorak jumps out of a window in Three On a Match

Thanks, scsu! I've only ever seen that last part of the film, so  I couldn't think what it was. I recalled the child as being a Dickie Moore type (turns out to be Buster Phelps).

Good to know I wasn't hallucinating about the Ann Dvorak part.  She was a very distinctive actress!  🙂

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Peebs said:

This came up in the What Do They Have in Common game.  The quote is from Fausterlitz but I thought I'd post it here to see if any of our resident movie experts could help identify the movie

Thanks for doing this, Peebs!  Much appreciated.  🙂

• Like 1
On 11/22/2021 at 9:02 AM, Peebs said:

Helen Mack's unsuccessful suicide attempt in His Girl Friday is the impulsive one (she's trying to teach the heartless journalists a lesson).

Are you sure. In the remake. They were about to discover the hiding place of the fugitive and she did it to distract them.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Marysara1 said:

Are you sure. In the remake. They were about to discover the hiding place of the fugitive and she did it to distract them.

On 11/22/2021 at 10:22 AM, Fausterlitz said:

🙂

Hi Marysara,  I was quoting Fausterlitz.  So, I'll let him (or her) weigh in on your comment.

4 hours ago, Marysara1 said:

They were about to discover the hiding place of the fugitive and she did it to distract them.

Well, that's also true, and thank you for the correction.  Bruce Baldwin's mother suddenly enters the the room and (addressing Hildy) refers to "that murderer you caught," so Molly realizes they're about to start searching for him in the room right then and there. So on a purely strategic level, Molly is trying to create a "scene" so the journalists will go follow a different story (i.e. hopefully leave the room and give Earl Williams a chance to escape). 

But her emotions in the scene (her deep concern for Williams and her disdain for the journalists) also seem genuine--and she has no way of knowing whether she'll survive the fall, so it's truly a grand, sacrificial gesture.  I guess it's not literally a suicide attempt in the ordinary "I want to die" sense--it's more like metaphorically "taking a bullet" to protect someone else.

In any case, the link in the original thread was about characters jumping out of windows, rather than about suicide per se (one of the other examples, from The Prisoner of Zenda, was also not a suicide attempt).  The relevant His Girl Friday scene is at 1:04:40 in this video:

• Thanks 2