Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Name Your Favorite Ensemble Cast Movies

In  this  thread  name  your  favorite  ensemble  cast  movies.   Here  are  some  of  mine.   Stage  Door  1937    The  Women  1939   Lifeboat  1944   Duel  in  the  Sun  1946   Twelve  Angry  Men  1957    McLintock  1963     The  Godfather  1972   The  Big  Chill  1983    The  Breakfast  Club  1985   Steel  Magnolias  1989

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good topic!

I'm a fan of LIFEBOAT. I also like the ensemble work in:

FROM HERE TO ETERNITY (1953)
THE COMEDIANS (1967)
THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE (1972)
EVIL UNDER THE SUN (1982)
HANNAH AND HER SISTERS (1986)
SNEAKERS (1992)
SENSE AND SENSIBILITY (1995)

• Like 2

Bad Day at Black Rock (1955)

Grand Hotel (1932)

The Great Escape (1963)

Executive Suite  (1954)

Command Decision (1948)

Give 'Em Hell, Harry (1975...naaah, just kiddin' with this last one here, of course)  ;)

• Like 4

Thanks, Dargo, for "Executive Suite" and "The Great Escape."  TGE, for me is as close to a perfect movie of its kind as there ever was, in that there never seems to be a second wasted in the whole thing.  Everything propels the plans and the escape at a terrific pace, all the while introducing us to very highly individualistic characters.

This is a big topic, so I think we can add "The Big Country," along with the John Ford trilogy westerns.  

And throw in "The Longest Day," for good measure.  

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD (1963-Comedy)

CHEAP DETECTIVE, The (1978-Comedy)

MURDER BY DEATH (1976-Comedy)

I've seen the above movies at least 6 times.

Three Fewer Movies i'll have to enumerate. 😎

"Did You, SCREAM.?, Sir ?..." Always Has me in STITCHES 😂 (I Think it hails from Murder By Death, But Can't Precisely Remember at the moment.)

Lets See.

Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines. The Longest Day. Cloud Atlas. The Professionals. God's Little Acre. High-Rise. Snowpiercer. Zoom. Ten Little Indians (of '65). Ice Cold In Alex. The Bandwagon. Take Me Out to the Ballgame. The Honeymoon Machine. The Good The Bad The Weird. Slack Bay.

Honorable Mention, Journey to the Center of the Earth. The Greatest Story Ever Told.

• Like 1

For Noirs I'd go

Grand Central Murder (1942)

Deadline At Dawn (1946)

Lady In The Lake (1946)

His Kind of Woman (1951)

Shack Out On 101 (1955)

Dr. Strangelove, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964), 

Seven Beauties (1977) 

The Late Show (1977) 

After Hours (1985)

Down By Law (1986)

Delicatessen (1991)

The Big Lebowski (1998).

• Like 1
3 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

For Noirs I'd go

Grand Central Murder (1942)

Deadline At Dawn (1946)

Lady In The Lake (1946)

His Kind of Woman (1951)

Shack Out On 101 (1955)

Dr. Strangelove, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964), 

Seven Beauties (1977) 

The Late Show (1977) 

After Hours (1985)

Down By Law (1986)

Delicatessen (1991)

The Big Lebowski (1998).

No ASPHALT JUNGLE...?

20 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

Murder on the Orient Express (1974)

That one crossed my mind and so did DEATH ON THE NILE. But I like EVIL UNDER THE SUN's cast a bit more since Peter Ustinov, Roddy McDowall, Maggie Smith, James Mason and Diana Rigg are all so good in it.

TV miniseries are like epic movies.

Some of the ones made in the 1980s had phenomenal ensemble casts.

53272C03-9F35-48E6-87F5-9A18303DEB8D_1_201_a

THE WINDS OF WAR

Robert Mitchum, John Houseman, Ali MacGraw, Jan-Michael Vincent, Peter Graves, Polly Bergen, Topol, Edmund Purdom, Ralph Bellamy, Andrew Duggan, Scott Brady, Charles Lane and John Dehner.

THE BLUE AND THE GRAY

Gregory Peck, Sterling Hayden, Geraldine Page, Colleen Dewhurst, Stacy Keach, Lloyd Bridges, Diane Baker, Warren Oates, Robert Vaughn and Rip Torn.

NORTH AND SOUTH

Olivia de Havilland, Jean Simmons, Elizabeth Taylor, Jonathan Frakes, Georg Stanford Brown, David Ogden Stiers, David Carradine, Patrick Swayze, Forest Whitaker, Kirstie Alley, Lee Horsley, Lesley-Anne Down, Linda Evans, Wayne Newton, Peter O'Toole, Mariette Hartley, Robert Wagner, Hal Holbrook, Robert Guillaume and Rip Torn.

AMERIKA

Kris Kristofferson, Robert Urich, Sam Neill, Cindy Pickett, Mariel Hemingway, Christine Lahti, Ivan Dixon, Lara Flynn Boyle and Ford Rainey.

2BED700E-5495-4815-86DB-EC4892113FB5_1_201_a

• Like 3

All good up there.  So how 'bout---

CASABLANCA

THE THIN MAN franchise

CITIZEN KANE

THE MALTESE FALCON

THE YOUNG LIONS

THE LONGEST DAY

THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN

For now, at least.

And for TV movies, TOP----

JESUS OF NAZARETH('77)

Sepiatone

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

The 1973 movie THE LAST OF SHEILA had quite a good cast. 

Was just gonna mention this one myself here, Mr.G.

(...lemme guess...TB's mentioning of those Agatha Christie movies brought it to mind, right?)  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here  are  some  more  ensemble  cast  movies   You  Can't  Take  it  With  You  1938   Stagecoach  1939   Ball  of  Fire  1941  Some  Like  it  Hot  1959   Judgement  At  Nuremberg  1961   The  Sound  of  Music  1965  The  Group  1966

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Group is a great one and probably a true "ensemble" film in the way I think of the term 

Is there an official or accepted definition of ensemble movie?  I've assumed it's one with no major starring role(s), but the lead parts are fairly equally distributed?

Correct me if I'm wrong.   

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

Is there an official or accepted definition of ensemble movie?  I've assumed it's one with no major starring role(s), but the lead parts are fairly equally distributed?

Yea,  after seeing some of the selections I wondered the same thing;   Based on the selections an ensemble film is any film other than My Dinner with Andre and The African Queen.

All joking aside I view Executive Suite as a "classic" ensemble film:    None of the major stars (Holden, Stanwyck,  March) dominate the screen time with the solid secondary players getting equal (or almost equal) time on screen.

• Like 4

Paramount's 1933 version of ALICE IN WONDERLAND had a unique ensemble cast:

Jack Oakie, Cary Grant, Charlotte Henry, Edna May Oliver, Richard Arlen, W.C. Fields, Louise Fazenda, Polly Moran, Edward Everett Horton, Leon Errol, Gary Cooper, Charlie Ruggles, Ned Sparks, May Robson and Roscoe Karns. Of course, most of these appearances were cameos.

There was a two-part TV movie version on CBS in 1985 that had a great cast:

Ann Jillian, Sherman Hemsley, Jayne Meadows, Roddy McDowall, Martha Raye, George Gobel, Karl Malden, Steve Lawrence, Telly Savalas, Red Buttons, Scott Baio, Louis Nye, Patrick Duffy, Merv Griffin, Robert Morley, Ringo Starr, Ernest Borgnine, Beau Bridges, Carol Channing, Harvey Korman, Pat Morita, Sid Caesar, Steve Allen, Anthony Newley and Jonathan Winters.

• Like 2

The movie VENOM (1981-UK) had quite a well-known cast.  An ensemble of sorts, to be sure.  No one's really 'The Star' of the movie.  I know original director Tobe Hooper was replaced early on in the shooting  Replacement director Piers Haggard had his hands full dealing with Klaus Kinski, Oliver Reed and Co. 

I noted THE BIG CHILL was mentioned on the first posting. 

The 1980 low-budget movie that preceded it was an 'ensemble piece':  THE RETURN OF THE SECAUCUS 7 directed by John Sayles.  

It's ENSEMBLE-itis!  :) 

CHISUM (1970) also has a notable ensemble cast.  One of the few John Wayne movies based on real-life events. 

• Thanks 1

Wow, this is one of these list-makers where titles just pop into your head all day.

For now:      The Three and Four Musketeers (1973-4),

and I'll add:     You Can't Take it With You  (1938)

• Like 2