THE MALTESE FALCON

THE YOUNG LIONS

THE LONGEST DAY

THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN

For now, at least.

And for TV movies, TOP----

JESUS OF NAZARETH('77)

Sepiatone

I am definitely going Casablanca on this topic. To me, so many known actors had sizable contributions.

• Like 2

Must throw in Fast Times at Ridgemont High and The Thin Red Line.

And i should probably say the Toy Story franchise because it's hard to ignore the cast of those films.  I don't normally give much attention or money to Disney films but my 3 year old has been making me watch the Toy Story films non-stop the last couple of months (must admit the ending of part 3 brings tears to my eyes).  Last year is was Cars.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

The first film I thought of was YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU (1938)  ... What a fantastic cast! 

A Dallas Morning News critic I used to read in TV Channels once wrote, "Ann Miller doesn't seem to be on the joke." I watched it and thought, dam he's right!

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Paramount's 1933 version of ALICE IN WONDERLAND had a unique ensemble cast:

Jack Oakie, Cary Grant, Charlotte Henry, Edna May Oliver, Richard Arlen, W.C. Fields, Louise Fazenda, Polly Moran, Edward Everett Horton, Leon Errol, Gary Cooper, Charlie Ruggles, Ned Sparks, May Robson and Roscoe Karns. Of course, most of these appearances were cameos.

For me Allice In Wonderland is a great example of an ensemble cast;    There are major stars (Grant, Cooper,  Fields)  but they don't dominate anymore than the secondary actors.   I also feel that the major star performances were more than just cameos.     They had enough screen time and lines that makes them more then cameos.

Another similar film would be A Midsummer Night's Dream.

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

A Dallas Morning News critic I used to read in TV Channels once wrote, "Ann Miller doesn't seem to be on the joke." I watched it and thought, dam he's right!

Well unlike the other characters and the actors playing them in the film and their unique talents,   Miller was an actual dancer;  The others were just acting and didn't actually have those talents.      Miller was just breaking into showbiz and wanted to follow the footsteps of Ginger Rogers,   so I can see why she would take the role more serious then the others.

Although I already commented that Casablanca is the first movie that comes to mind on this topic, I think The Great Escape is up there too. With so many actors needed to fill out the number of prisoners needed plus the amount of military officers involved as well, it was the perfect movie to fill the ranks with name actors.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Allhallowsday said:

Maybe my all time favorite movie.  The soundtrack is wonderful. 

Most of Woody Allen's films rely on an ensemble cast doing their work in various subplots.

But I think the cast for HANNAH AND HER SISTERS is really top notch. Everything about this film just gels.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wow,  I wouldn't have thought of it myself, but I so completely agree with "A Midsummer Night's Dream"!

I'll propose for my entry, the upcoming "Christmas in Connecticut"--   (airing Wednesday 10:00 p.m. Eastern, TCM,  if you want to start your Christmas viewing early.)

Stanwyck,  S.Z. "Cuddles" Sakall,  Sydney Greenstreet,  adorable Dennis Morgan, Una O'Connor,  the urbane and under-rated Reginald Gardner, and on and on.   Magnificent,  well-oiled cast, lobbing subtly comic lines back and forth, back and forth.   A festive delight.

Christmas-in-Connecticut-newfeature.jpg

• Like 3
52 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Well unlike the other characters and the actors playing them in the film and their unique talents,   Miller was an actual dancer;  The others were just acting and didn't actually have those talents.      Miller was just breaking into showbiz and wanted to follow the footsteps of Ginger Rogers,   so I can see why she would take the role more serious then the others.

I love Ann, but this makes me think she was miscast. They should have gotten a non-dancer. Or maybe Ruby Keeler, who taps like she's stomping roaches. A character who can't dance but thinks she can. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A relatively small ensemble cast, but I have always liked Arsenic and Old Lace. And, as already mentioned, Twelve Angry Men, though to

be fair they all didn't have the same level of anger.  Angry? You bet I'm  &*#$@^  angry. 

33 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

I love Ann, but this makes me think she was miscast. They should have gotten a non-dancer. Or maybe Ruby Keeler, who taps like she's stomping roaches. A character who can't dance but thinks she can. 

Poor Ruby. I am guessing you're not the president of her fan club. :) 

Because it doesn't feature any A-listers in its cast, John Ford's often lesser regarded western (by some...not me) Wagon Master (1950) has now come to my mind in these regards.

(...this ensemble cast filled with character actors such as Ward Bond, Ben Johnson and Harry Carey Jr. work well together, I've always thought)

• Like 3

In  the  Science  Fiction  realm ,  the  movie  Alien  1979  had  an  great  ensemble  cast. The  cast  had  Sigourney  Weaver,  John  Hurt,  Tom  Skerritt,  Veronica  Cartwright ,  Ian  Holm,  Yaphet   Kotto  and  Harry  Dean  Stanton  in  that  movie. The  movie  was  top  notch  Science  Fiction  and  had  plenty  of  suspense .

• Like 5

1) The Magnificent Seven

2) The Great Escape

3) Spartacus

4) Bridge on the River Kwai

5) Ben-Hur

6) The Ten Commandments

7) The Dirty Dozen

😎 Robin Hood (1938)

9) Wizard of Oz

10)  Mutiny on the Bounty (1962)

11) It's a Wonderful Life

These are 10 of my favorites...ooops 11 Could not leave out my Jimmy Stewart favorite

• Like 6

There's always the ROBERT ALTMAN/ALAN RUDOLPH  "ensemble cast" movies of the 1970s and '80s. 

I like WELCOME TO L.A. (1976).  I like A WEDDING (1978). 

(I've never seen "Nashville", btw). 

SMILE (1975) has a pretty good ensemble cast about the hollow-ness of "Middle Class American Life" '70s-style. 

• Like 4
51 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER (1942)  has a sterling cast even RICHARD TRAVIS as an idiot. 

The_Man_Who_Came_to_Dinner.jpg

Was going to suggest this one too, but I didn't know if Monty Woolley had too much of the limelight to qualify as an ensemble (even though he's billed 3rd, due to name recognition and the WB star/oomph power of Ms. Davis and Ms. Sheridan).  But lots of the supporting players get a fair amount of screen time as they orbit around the bearded one.

I looked up SAG's current qualifications for their ensemble award.   If I understood it, the actors that qualify for this award are simply those who have a single-card credit (i.e., credited at the beginning of the film).   Even so,  apparently all listed cast members get a certificate of some sort if their picture wins one of these, but I don't think they're technically considered part of the "ensemble" that wins the award.   Doesn't help much as a definition, especially for older films because most of the time the entire credited cast gets such billing, as opposed to modern credits, where the "names" get single-card billing and everyone else is listed at the end.