Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Name Your Favorite Ensemble Cast Movies

7E77DB6D-3616-4CC4-AAFE-482980BD56D0_1_201_a

Westerns with strong ensemble casts--

JESSE JAMES (1939)

Tyrone Power, Henry Fonda, Randolph Scott, Nancy Kelly, Jane Darwell, Brian Donlevy, Donald Meek, John Carradine, Henry Hull, Slim Summerville and Lon Chaney Jr.

WHEN THE DALTONS RODE (1940)

Randolph Scott, Kay Francis, Broderick Crawford, Brian Donlevy, Stuart Erwin, Frank Albertson, Mary Gordon, Andy Devine and Edgar Buchanan.

CANYON PASSAGE (1946)

Dana Andrews, Susan Hayward, Brian Donlevy, Ward Bond, Rose Hobart, Andy Devine, Hoagy Carmichael, Lloyd Bridges and Patricia Roc.

BEST OF THE BADMEN (1951)

Robert Ryan, Robert Preston, Claire Trevor, Lawrence Tierney, Barton MacLane, Walter Brenna, Bruce Cabot and John Archer.

DAY OF THE OUTLAW (1959)

Robert Ryan, Burl Ives, Tina Louise, David Nelson, Alan Marshal, Nehemiah Persoff, Lance Fuller, Dabbs Greer and Elisha Cook Jr.

• Like 3

Winchester  73  1950   James  Stewart  Dan  Duryea   Shelley  Winters  Tony  Curtis  Stephen  McNally  Rock  Hudson  Millard  Mitchell   Will Geer  Charles  Drake  John  McIntire  Jay  C  Flippen

• Like 3

Will  Penny  1967   Charlton  Heston   Joan  Hackett  Lee  Majors  Donald  Pleasence   Bruce  Dern  Slim  Pickens  Ben  Johnson  Anthony  Zerbe  Quentin  Dean  G D  Spradlin

Separate  Tables   1958   David  Niven  Deborah  Kerr  Burt  Lancaster  Rita  Hayworth  Wendy  Hiller  Gladys  Cooper  Audrey  Dalton  Felix  Aylmer  Cathleen  Nesbitt

• Like 2

How could I have neglected "Separate Tables", one of my favorite films!

The four leads are equally balanced in screen time and story and the support by the others is excellent. 

One of those claustrophobic "put everyone in the same room" gems.

• Like 3
The Academy has nominated fifteen movies in all four acting categories.  Here they are, with the categories they won.

My Man Godfrey
(1936)

Mrs. Miniver                             Actress                                     S. Actress
(1942)

For Whom the Bell Tolls                                                            S. Actress
(1943)

Johnny Belinda                        Actress
(1948)

Sunset Blvd.
(1950)

A Streetcar Named Desire         Actress           S. Actor               S. Actress
(1951)

From Here to Eternity                                     S. Actor               S. Actress
(1953)

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?   Actress                                     S. Actress
(1966)

Bonnie and Clyde                                                                      S. Actress
(1967)

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner   Actress
(1967)

Network             Actor               Actress                                    S Actress
(1976)

Coming Home     Actor               Actress
(1978)

Reds                                                                                        S.  Actress
(1981)

Silver Linings Playbook              Actress
(2012)

American Hustle
(2013)

I wouldn't consider Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf an ensemble movie, since it has only four roles altogether.  And some of the supporting actress nominees are clearly minor (Network and Coming Home for instance.)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I considered many of these for consideration,  but ultimately decided most weren't fitting my view of ensemble, mainly because many of the supporting nominated performances were relatively brief (compared to leads,) as mentioned by Skimpole.

I'll throw out perhaps "All About Eve" or even "Caged" for the support behind Eleanor Parker, the clear lead.

• Like 1
On 12/2/2021 at 9:40 PM, jameselliot said:

Ocean's 11 ( both versions)

I just watched the original again last week and yeah, Sinatra, Dino, Sammy, Peter Lawford, Angie Dickinson, Richard Conte, Cesar Romero, Joey Bishop, Akim Tamaroff, Norman Fell. I'd definitely call it an ensemble piece.

Oh and  cameos from Shirley MacLaine and Red Skelton poking fun at himself.

And here are the fifteen movies I nominated in all four acting categories, with the categories they won in.

Swing Time                                                         S. Actor
(1936)

Make Way for Tomorrow
(1937)

Singin' in the Rain   Actor                                      S. Actor
(1952)

The Band Wagon                                                                      S. Actress
(1953)

Pather Panchali                       Actress
(1955)

Smiles of a Summer Night
(1955)

The Misfits
(1961)

Out 1:  Noli Me Tangere         Actress                     S. Actor
(1971)

Reds                      Actor                                                          S. Actress
(1981)

Paris, Texas
(1984)

Blue Velvet                                                           S. Actor         S. Actress
(1986)

Say Anything
(1989)

The Best Intentions                  Actress
(1992)

Requiem for a Dream
(2000)

A Christmas Tale
(2008)

One can wonder how many of these are ensemble films.  In Make Way for Tomorrow, the two leads are clearly most important.   Swing Time, Paris, Texas, Requiem for a Dream present relatively little aside from the four main characters.