Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The nicest picture they ever took..?


TopBilled
 Share

Recommended Posts

I love this thread and these remarkable photos, TOPBILLED.

The photographer Imogen Cunningham didn't do that many Hollywood portraits, but when she did, she seemed to elicit something unexpected from her subjects.

Really like this one she did of the young Joan Blondell-- almost didn't recognize her without her lacquered Hollywood look.  She's so sort of unguarded and natural...

 

slide_59.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did Robert Young ever take a picture where he had facial hair? He's always the definition of clean-cut.

I agree that the Joan Blondell picture captures a side of her that is absent in her studio photos.

The Norma Shearer photo looks like it was taken when she was a bit older. But still nice.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You got me wondering about a possibly bearded Robert Young, TOPBILLED.    I checked, but couldn't find any images of him with facial hair.   (Of course, that's not definitive, but at least there weren't any 'easily found').    Thankfully--  I think he looked best clean-shaven.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, lilypond said:

Great one of the underrrated (in my opinion) Robert Young,  _BROADWAY_ .    He's also one I thought continued to look interesting as he aged, with that silver hair and those increasingly craggy laugh lines....

Robert Young is one of my favorites. I really relate a lot to him.

I agree! I think laugh lines really add a gentleness to one's face and Robert Young already seemed like a kind and gentle person. They really suited him. Who wouldn't want to chat with such a kind-looking fellow?

Jane_wyatt_robert_young.JPG

 

10 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Did Robert Young ever take a picture where he had facial hair? He's always the definition of clean-cut.

Good question! I don't know that I have ever seen him with a full beard, but he did sport a mustache in H.M Pulham, Esq. I don't think it suited him very much, so I am glad he did not have a mustache in too many other films!

MV5BOWZkMGFiYzAtNjMyZS00NjhmLTg1NWYtZTE3

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting you mention your affinity for Robert Young,   _BROADWAY_.    I always have a sort of  shock of recognition when I see him,  as my late father had a striking resemblance to him.   Not one of those flimsy, not-too-close resemblances.  It was almost eerie, and is/was remarked upon by a number of people who knew him.  Facial structure, almost identical.   Forehead, slightly acquiline nose, face shape, lips, smile, even hairline.  As they got older, my Dad's hair turned silver in exactly the same way.   His build was similar, although my father was just under 6 feet--  he was about five eleven and a half,  and I assume Young was a bit taller.   He had the same pleasantly warm, low-key manner too.  When I watch "Father Knows Best" reruns, I get a lump in my throat!

Their coloring was different--  it always looks to me like Robert Young started out with quite dark hair, and my Dad's was light brown.  Looks to me like Robert Young had brown eyes, maybe?   But my Dad's were hazel.    Otherwise, he could sub for R.Y. in your picture above with Jane Wyatt, and few would notice the difference!  

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, lilypond said:

Interesting you mention your affinity for Robert Young,   _BROADWAY_.    I always have a sort of  shock of recognition when I see him,  as my late father had a striking resemblance to him.   Not one of those flimsy, not-too-close resemblances.  It was almost eerie, and is/was remarked upon by a number of people who knew him.  Facial structure, almost identical.   Forehead, slightly acquiline nose, face shape, lips, smile, even hairline.  As they got older, my Dad's hair turned silver in exactly the same way.   His build was similar, although my father was just under 6 feet--  he was about five eleven and a half,  and I assume Young was a bit taller.   He had the same pleasantly warm, low-key manner too.  When I watch "Father Knows Best" reruns, I get a lump in my throat!

Their coloring was different--  it always looks to me like Robert Young started out with quite dark hair, and my Dad's was light brown.  Looks to me like Robert Young had brown eyes, maybe?   But my Dad's were hazel.    Otherwise, he could sub for R.Y. in your picture above with Jane Wyatt, and few would notice the difference!  

You might enjoy watching ADVENTURE IN BALTIMORE (1949) in which Robert Young has one of his most paternal movie roles.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Robert Young was an a-ok square guy who will always be beloved for Jim Anderson and Marcus Welby. you just can't help but like the guy and any doubt as to his acting ability just watch him as the detective in Crossfire. it is brilliance when he sets the trap for montgomery. (Robert Ryan)

Jane_wyatt_robert_young.JPG

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

NIPKOWDISC,   that "Crossfire" role of Young's is my all-time favorite.  Love him in that, and could watch over and over.    He infuses that police detective with such weariness, yet he's savvy and relentless-- he's going to get his man.   Portrait of decency, and you are right, "A-OK" sums it up.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/27/2021 at 11:14 PM, lilypond said:

I love this thread and these remarkable photos, TOPBILLED.

The photographer Imogen Cunningham didn't do that many Hollywood portraits, but when she did, she seemed to elicit something unexpected from her subjects.

Really like this one she did of the young Joan Blondell-- almost didn't recognize her without her lacquered Hollywood look.  She's so sort of unguarded and natural...

 

slide_59.jpg

Thank you for sharing this. Blondell , IMHO was always one of the most underrated natural beauties in Hollywood. Relegated to playing mousy sidekicks to the top billed female leads she always did shine brighter than most of them. This photo really exudes a subdued but dynamic feminine energy and I have never seen it before. Thank You.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a hard choice for me because of the amazing photographers (not to mention hairdressers & make-up artists) that were around then. They could make just about anyone look fabulous! As much as I love the glam & professional photos of stars, I love finding true candid photos (not studio pics that are designed to look like candids) because it gives us a glimpse in to  who they were in real life.

Clara Bow (candid)

FBMLTjzVgAIvyG7?format=jpg&name=medium

Jean Harlow (candid on the MGM lot)

23847137_1512731238810662_62346605081543

Lana Turner - Candid in 1939

tumblr_o6wdmkkxIm1urretyo1_500.png

Errol Flynn - looking like the adventurer he was!

2722ccc2fc70e6a8d4e8ea5d8d6cc0af.jpg

John Barrymore (before his alcoholism destroyed his career & his life) -  he looks so intense in this photo.

JohnBarrymore.10735.jpg

Rudolph Valentino - candid w/o make-up; he looks wistful & sad

candid.JPG

Tyrone Power - candid on-set

9d9b2e2ddeee66cb9163b2f3b4869e8f.jpg

Love this candid of Rita Haworth & Betty Grable!

CsXOJKxWEAATkG9.jpg

Joan Crawford & Bette Davis - I wonder what they are laughing at?

i-love-old-hollywood-tumblr-joan-crawfor

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...