Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stephen Sondheim 1930-2021

26 minutes ago, Swithin said:

Wow. I dunno. Was NOT expecting to come across that. Thank You

(Very) Obliquely Related. I.. Am VERY Thankful to Say that that Singer, South African born Glynis Johns; Is Very Much With Us Today At a Whopping Gorgeous and Beautiful Ninety-Eight. (!)

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Aritosthenes said:

(Very) Obliquely Related. I.. Am VERY Thankful to Say that that Singer, South African born Glynis Johns; Is Very Much With Us Today At a Whopping Gorgeous and Beautiful Ninety-Eight. (!)

Stephen Sondheim wrote "Send in the Clowns" specifically for Glynis Johns, who introduced it on Broadway in the premiere production of A Little Night Music, in February 1973. The show was nominated for twelve Tony Awards, winning six:  Best Musical, Best Original Score, Best Book of a Musical, Best Actress in a Musical (Ms. Johns), Best Featured Actress in a Musical (Patricia Elliott), and Best Costume Design.

• Like 5

A favorite for his stage musicals:

Sweeney Todd

Into the Woods

West Side Story

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

Assassins - this last one is a little hard to find, it's not performed often. I saw it in 1993 at Miami University in Ohio.  Worth getting tickets for if it is ever performed near you.

He also wrote a twisty-turny doozy of a whodunit screenplay with Anthony Perkins - "The Last of Sheila" (1973)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I always preferred the musicals that Sondheim wrote the lyrics for--"West Side Story" and "Gypsy".

But I got to see "Company"  in London with two of the original Broadway Stars--Larry Kert and Elaine Stritch. So I realized, early on, that he was doing something innovative in Broadway musicals that would change the direction of the art. 

Hopefully Sondheim's innovative genius that dominated the Broadway musical in the last part of the 20th century will be matched or surpassed in the future.

But so far, that doesn't appear to be happening.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

An interview with Stephen from 2008:

https://www.nytimes.com/video/theater/1248069062358/the-last-word-stephen-sondheim-obituary.html

Stephen Sondheim Saluted By The Entertainment Community For His Giant Footprint On The Arts

https://deadline.com/2021/11/stephen-sondheim-death-reactions-entertainment-community-1234880948/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
46 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I always preferred the musicals that Sondheim wrote the lyrics for--"West Side Story" and "Gypsy".

But I got to see "Company"  in London with two of the original Broadway Stars--Larry Kert and Elaine Stritch. So I realized, early on, that he was doing something innovative in Broadway musicals that would change the direction of the art. 

Hopefully Sondheim's innovative genius that dominated the Broadway musical in the last part of the 20th century will be matched or surpassed in the future.

But so far, that doesn't appear to be happening.

there's Lin-Manuel Miranda......... :unsure:

(yeah, I like him..........

but it AIN'T the same somehow)

:huh:

• Thanks 2

Sad news.  I was just thinking about him today as I was listening to "Opening Doors" from Merrily We Roll Along, because I realized he wouldn't live to see it make the transition to the screen (I might neither - you never know what will happen).  

Merrily... takes place in reverse, starting with character in their 40s and working its way back to their high school graduation.  In the original stage musical, a notorious flop, the characters were played by teens and 20-somethings.  The film, in production now, is filming it in real-time, letting the actors age naturally into their 40-something selves.  It's not planned to be released until the late 2030s or early 2040s.  Richard Linklater, who directed Boyhood, and used the same technique for that, is the director.

Some films that let you peek behind Sondheim's curtain:

• Original Cast Album: Company (the making of the 1970 original Broadway cast album, a pilot for a never-produced TV series)
  • Best Worst Thing That Ever Could Have Happened (Lonny Price documentary about the making of Merrily We Roll Along)
  • Six by Sondheim

• Thanks 4
58 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

there's Lin-Manuel Miranda......... :unsure:

(yeah, I like him..........

but it AIN'T the same somehow)

:huh:

This may not be the time or the place to say this, but he doesn’t have a chin.

.mind you that I’m not saying anything about his character or his abilities as an actor or his skills as a songwriter, I’m just saying LIN MANUEL MIRANDA has not a hint of a chin.

Been meaning to say something about it for years.

• Haha 1

Sondheim was known for being a rather private person, but also for his enormous generosity and support of other musicians and performers behind the scenes. This video, which I randomly came across earlier this year, is a typical but very moving example of this. (If you have time, the Sondheim moment is much more emotionally compelling if you've watched everything leading up to it; if not, just watch some of the beginning and skip to 4:30 thru 6:45.)

• Thanks 3