Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stephen Sondheim 1930-2021


Swithin
 Share

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Hibi said:

It's true Follies made Alexis Smith a star (finally) but it was Yvonne DeCarlo who sang "I'm Still Here" in the show.

Hibi,

Thanks for the correction. I wasn't at all sure because I couldn't verify it.

But I knew that a Sondheim fan would clear it up for me. 

And now, you can tell me, what was the song that Alexis Smith sang?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Hibi,

Thanks for the correction. I wasn't at all sure because I couldn't verify it.

But I knew that a Sondheim fan would clear it up for me. 

And now, you can tell me, what was the song that Alexis Smith sang?

She had two.  This one is probably the better known:

There was also this one (which I think is from the LA run of the show in 1972  because there are extensive film clips from it floating around):

 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've seen two productions of Follies, 30 years apart, both in London, most recently (2017) at the National Theatre; and the London premiere in 1987, which featured Dolores Gray as Carlotta. Here she is singing her big number:

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/29/2021 at 8:25 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Hibi,

Thanks for the correction. I wasn't at all sure because I couldn't verify it.

But I knew that a Sondheim fan would clear it up for me. 

And now, you can tell me, what was the song that Alexis Smith sang?

She had 2 solo numbers (plus being a part of a few other ones) Could I Leave You? A bitter, sarcastic question put to hubby, Ben, about whether she'll leave him and her big Follies number at the end with the chorus boys, The Ballad of Lucy And Jessie (not sure if if that's the exact word for word title) that's about the conflict between her younger and older self. There's a bootleg of the number on Youtube and it stops the show.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/29/2021 at 11:07 PM, Swithin said:

I've seen two productions of Follies, 30 years apart, both in London, most recently (2017) at the National Theatre; and the London premiere in 1987, which featured Dolores Gray as Carlotta. Here she is singing her big number:

 

I'm curious. Why didn't you see the original production? Were you not living in NYC at the time?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I'm curious. Why didn't you see the original production? Were you not living in NYC at the time?

I've lived in NYC my whole life, but no, I did not see the original production in NY. I guess I was working hard in the 1970s, and didn't go to the theater that much. Also started going to opera in the early 1970s, both New York City Opera and Met.  I started doing a lot of theatre-going in London around that time as well.

The only original productions of Sondheim shows (for which he wrote both book and lyrics) that I've seen in NY are  Sunday in the Park with George and Sweeney Todd.

In London, I saw the original London productions of Pacific Overtures,  Follies, and Road Show. Also in London I saw several revivals of Sondheim shows that I had not seen in NY: Company (twice, including the production now in NY); A Little Night Music (National Theatre, with Judi Dench); and a recent revival of Follies.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, King Rat said:

One of the most beautiful songs ever written. Thanks for posting it.

I guess you have to listen to the song keeping in mind that she's stuck in a department store and hasn't been outside for awhile in order for the song to make any sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Swithin said:

I've lived in NYC my whole life, but no, I did not see the original production in NY. I guess I was working hard in the 1970s, and didn't go to the theater that much. Also started going to opera in the early 1970s, both New York City Opera and Met.  I started doing a lot of theatre-going in London around that time as well.

The only original productions of Sondheim shows (for which he wrote both book and lyrics) that I've seen in NY are  Sunday in the Park with George and Sweeney Todd.

In London, I saw the original London productions of Pacific Overtures,  Follies, and Road Show. Also in London I saw several revivals of Sondheim shows that I had not seen in NY: Company (twice, including the production now in NY); A Little Night Music (National Theatre, with Judi Dench); and a recent revival of Follies.

 

Can I just say I'm very jealous of your life, Swithin? :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/1/2021 at 3:57 PM, noah80 said:

 

that's Liesl from The Sound of Music

A gorgeous song we can all relate to now, post-lockdown.

 

Every song from EVENING PRIMROSE is fantastic -- here's ANthony Perkins singing the opening number "If You Can Find Me I'm Here"

 

Here's Mandy Patinkin singing the beautiful closing number "Take Me to the World"

 

 

But I love this one the most -- "When?" -- such a wonderful duet

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, sagebrush said:

Can I just say I'm very jealous of your life, Swithin? :D

I'm sure there are aspects of your life that I'd be jealous of, sagebrush! 

I was born in Manhattan, and have lived in three of the city's boroughs, and have had family in the suburbs, so I'm very local, which has been convenient for theater.

I had trouble getting to sleep as a little kid. My mother used to sing "Lullaby of Broadway" to me. When she got to the part of the song that goes "Manhattan babies don't sleep tight, until the dawn...," I thought it was about me. It wasn't until years later, when I saw Gold Diggers of 1935, that I realized it wasn't really about babies!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/4/2021 at 1:14 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I APOLOGIZE IF ANYONE ELSE POSTED THIS AND I MISSED IT

 

so, um, in reference to the above video, can any of you THEATRE AFICIANADOS tell me anything about MICHAEL CERVERIS, the bald gentlemen in the above clip, who apparently played SWEENEY TODD in an early 2000s revival that sort of went for a weird 1920s German Expressionist kinda look?

I'm not saying that the reason I'm asking is because DAMN HE IS FINE AS HELL, but I'm not not saying that either....

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

ANGELA LANSBURY will allows be my MRS. LOVETT (sp?), but I have to say, the two performances above by IMELDA STAUNTON- who is giving GREAT LINE READS between singing- and EMMA THOMPSON- who makes up for her slight vocal shortcomings with A RISIBLE passion and DELIGHTFUL PHYSICALITY are both really great.

(And I liked HELENA BONHAM CARTER too.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

ANGELA LANSBURY will allows be my MRS. LOVETT (sp?), but I have to say, the two performances above by IMELDA STAUNTON- who is giving GREAT LINE READS between singing- and EMMA THOMPSON- who makes up for her slight vocal shortcomings with A RISIBLE passion and DELIGHTFUL PHYSICALITY are both really great.

(And I liked HELENA BONHAM CARTER too.)

Every actress seems to bring their own special qualities to the Mrs. Lovett role. I particularly like Emma Thompson, because she accentuates the comedic lines in the song so well. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

Every actress seems to bring their own special qualities to the Mrs. Lovett role. I particularly like Emma Thompson, because she accentuates the comedic lines in the song so well. 

 

Almost like a BRITISH OLIVE OYL, yes....(her voice has a lilting brassy, yet off-key quality that reminds me a little of LANSBURY too)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...