Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stephen Sondheim 1930-2021


Recommended Posts

edit in re: the above clip

SONDHEIM is referring to the revival of WEST SIDE STORY and not the SPIELBERG REMAKE.

Also, please forgive me for being reductive, but- DEAR MR. INTERVIEWER,  what do YOU think the legendary gay playwright thinks of the new version of his classic which features SAVAGE, MACHO, SMOKING HOT MEN HOLDING ONE ANOTHER BACK AND DANCING SHIRTLESS IN THE RAIN?

note- i do love what he says about the theater, and admire that he is 100% pretense-free,

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hibi said:

Yes, Jones left the show after a couple of months (he's on the cast recording though). The official reason was he was sick with hepatitis. Kert was the understudy. But the real reason was he was unhappy being in the show and away from his wife, I think. This was a big break for Kert and he stayed for the run of the show, I believe. (Kert had been in the original West Side Story).

Jones lasted a month and 2 days (from 26 Apr 70 to 28 May 70).  My understanding was that he left because he was going through a divorce and that coupled with the theme of the material was too stressful.  His Wiki article implies that he had an agreement with Prince before the show opened to leave early, as long as he opened the show and recorded the cast album.

Kert got a Tony nomination out of it, which is unusual, as typically only the role originators get acting nominations.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I imagine most of the contributors to this thread can hum, sing, and whistle quite a number of Sondheim melodies, but for those who still insist that Sondheim can't write a tune, I jotted down a list of ten songs that came immediately to mind as good choices for Sondheim 101:

"I Remember" (Evening Primrose)

"Comedy Tonight" (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum)

"Anyone Can Whistle" (Anyone Can Whistle)

"Being Alive" (Company)

"Broadway Baby" (Follies)

"I'm Still Here" (Follies)--almost every song in Follies qualifies

"In Praise of Women" (A Little Night Music)

"Send in the Clowns" (A Little Night Music)

"No One Is Alone" (Into the Woods)

"Our Time" (Merrily We Roll Along)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, King Rat said:

I imagine most of the contributors to this thread can hum, sing, and whistle quite a number of Sondheim melodies, but for those who still insist that Sondheim can't write a tune, I jotted down a list of ten songs that came immediately to mind as good choices for Sondheim 101:

"I Remember" (Evening Primrose)

"Comedy Tonight" (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum)

"Anyone Can Whistle" (Anyone Can Whistle)

"Being Alive" (Company)

"Broadway Baby" (Follies)

"I'm Still Here" (Follies)--almost every song in Follies qualifies

"In Praise of Women" (A Little Night Music)

"Send in the Clowns" (A Little Night Music)

"No One Is Alone" (Into the Woods)

"Our Time" (Merrily We Roll Along)

With So Little To Be Sure Of from Anyone Can Whistle. Good Thing Going and Not A Day Goes By (Merrily We Go Along). Take Me To The World (Evening Primrose)

Saturday Night has some hummable tunes too, (TItle song among them) but I can't think right now the titles (his first show which never got produced due to a backer dying or pulling out or something).

And of course many from WSS, Gypsy, and Do I Hear A Waltz?  I guess those don't count (not his music)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Hibi said:

With So Little To Be Sure Of from Anyone Can Whistle. Good Thing Going and Not A Day Goes By (Merrily We Go Along). Take Me To The World (Evening Primrose)

Saturday Night has some hummable tunes too, (TItle song among them) but I can't think right now the titles (his first show which never got produced due to a backer dying or pulling out or something).

 

There really are so many "hummable" Sondheim songs, and so many different kinds of songs. In addition to his other skills, Sondheim is a great creator of melody.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, King Rat said:

There really are so many "hummable" Sondheim songs, and so many different kinds of songs. In addition to his other skills, Sondheim is a great creator of melody.

I don't know if I am ever going to get the chance in this crazy world, but if I ever get to go to LONDON again, I want to film a video of me GADDING ABOUT like ED GRIMLEY while cheerfully singing:

"There's a hole in the world like a great black pit
And the vermin of the world inhabit it
And it's morals aren't worth what a pig can spit
And it goes by the name of London!"
 
 
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 12/20/2021 at 10:16 AM, txfilmfan said:

She's won 3 Oliviers for musicals, all of them Sondheim properties:  Into the Woods, Sweeney Todd and Gypsy.  She also won a supporting actor Olivier for her work in straight plays at the National Theatre, before she won her musical Oliviers.

Imelda Staunton was brilliant in the National Theatre's production of Follies.

Her interpretation of "Losing My Mind." Wow!

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

Imelda Stauton was brilliant in the National Theatre's production of Follies.

Her interpretation of "Losing My Mind." Wow!

It was a great production and Imelda was brilliant as always. But they played it without intermission, and I could have used a loo break! Imelda was also great as a kind of crazed Mama Rose in Gypsy (2015), but if there's one number of hers that stays in my memory most it's her rendition of "The Boulevard of Broken Dreams" in the Royal Shakespeare Company's production of They Shoot Horses, Don't They? (Mermaid Theatre, 1987).

00101054.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2022 at 8:01 PM, Swithin said:

It was a great production and Imelda was brilliant as always. But they played it without intermission, and I could have used a loo break! Imelda was also great as a kind of crazed Mama Rose in Gypsy (2015)

Someone once called Imelda Staunton's take on Rose in Gypsy as "Madame Rose On Speed" but, like you,   I think she was great in the role.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/22/2021 at 2:14 PM, King Rat said:

There really are so many "hummable" Sondheim songs, and so many different kinds of songs. In addition to his other skills, Sondheim is a great creator of melody.

We missed the big one, Losing My Mind!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...