Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DAVID SUCHET, "POIROT" AND SO MUCH MORE


Recommended Posts

Do you have certain actors you just have so much "good will" for (for lack of a better term),  even without knowing that much about them?   I have several, including Suchet,  James Dunn,  Bob Hoskins, Anthony LaPaglia, Carey Mulligan....

I am suddenly noticing David Suchet's name popping up online in the news, and it seems he has turned 75, and launched on a tour.

What an immortal "Hercule Poirot" he makes.   As Jeremy Brett is my forever ideal Sherlock Holmes, so is Suchet my Poirot.

At the moment, can't think of much else I've seen him in, but strangely, was bowled over by him in the middling Gwyneth Paltrow/Michael Douglas movie, "A Perfect Murder".    He packed so much acting finesse and soulfulness into his smallish role as a New York police detective--  he stood out like lightning, those black eyes bottomless, and discerning....

Probably lots of you have seen his celebrated Shakespeare and other roles--  care to comment? 

Also, given the utterly secular English theater milieu from which he springs, I was fascinated to read that he is a Christian convert, as a result of reading Romans 8 one night in a hotel room.  Go, Gideon Bibles!   I don't expect anyone else to be thrilled by this, but I am, ha.   He's even recorded great hunks of the Bible,  reflecting his admiration for Paul.  

Comes from a fascinating family, with famous offshoots.

He's played Lady Bracknell!

To me, one actor whose many accolades are entirely deserved.

Posted an image of him from his sultry youth, since we don't get to see him that way, much.

 

ss3223207_-_photograph_of_david_suchet_available_in_4_sizes_framed_or_unframed_buy_now_at_starstills__03325__78264.1394495275.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

David Suchet is one of the finest actors alive today. His acting starts at the cellular level. Also love, as if it weren’t obvious, Buster Keaton. Really “discovered “ him during the pandemic. Since our business was pretty much on hold - like everyone’s was/is - got some serious reading time. I started with just one book about Buster, his autobiography, My Wonderful World of Slapstick. Things took off from there. I’ve read six biographies on him as well as 35 other books on various subjects; some good for me, some for fun. Now I’ve seen most of his movies; all from the golden era before he signed with MGM and was author/director/actor, and most of the Arbuckle shorts and the awful MGM stuff. 

And, no, you aren’t the only one interested in his conversion story.  I was readying his memoir and was really moved by what he said. There is an audio version of the Bible he narrates that is excellent. Could you imagine it being anything but?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kikiki said:

David Suchet is one of the finest actors alive today. His acting starts at the cellular level. Also love, as if it weren’t obvious, Buster Keaton. Really “discovered “ him during the pandemic. Since our business was pretty much on hold - like everyone’s was/is - got some serious reading time. I started with just one book about Buster, his autobiography, My Wonderful World of Slapstick. Things took off from there. I’ve read six biographies on him as well as 35 other books on various subjects; some good for me, some for fun. Now I’ve seen most of his movies; all from the golden era before he signed with MGM and was author/director/actor, and most of the Arbuckle shorts and the awful MGM stuff. 

And, no, you aren’t the only one interested in his conversion story.  I was readying his memoir and was really moved by what he said. There is an audio version of the Bible he narrates that is excellent. Could you imagine it being anything but?

I Adore Keaton myself as well. For me, one of the funniest artists to ever grace us with laughs and antics. (While certainly Subjective, i would also include Ernie Kovacs, Mel Brooks, Mel Blanc, Martha Raye (with)in that "best of laughter" list.

Steve Allen, Don Rickles, Sid Ceasar, Johnathon Winters would (probably) (more than) warrant Honorable Mention.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Aritosthenes said:

I Adore Keaton myself as well. For me, one of the funniest artists to ever grace us with laughs and antics. (While certainly Subjective, i would also include Ernie Kovacs, Mel Brooks, Mel Blanc, Mel Brooks, Martha Raye (with)in that "best of laughter" list.

Steve Allen, Don Rickles, Sid Ceasar, Johnathon Winters would (probably) (more than) warrant Honorable Mention.

Agree with everyone on your list. Although I’m sure I saw Buster’s films growing up, I must not have been ready to fully appreciate his genius like I am now. The General! There is a film! I’ve watched it twice this past year, and so many others. There may even be a viewing this weekend. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What interesting comments, KIKIKI and ARITOSTHENES.    Your deep appreciation of Buster Keaton is thought-provoking, KIKIKI--   makes me want to go back and look at him from another standpoint.   I've only admired him from afar, to date.   ARITOSTHENES,  no offense taken at all, of course.    You must have a well-developed funny bone with that great list of inspired comics! 

Everyone's list would be different, especially since I'm not exactly stating or seeking all-time "favorites",   but more like:  elusive performers who you instinctively 'endorse',  maybe the very first or only time you see them, without being very familiar with their work.   That's a bit different than my standard list of perennial, well-loved faves, like Stanwyck, Olivier, Astaire,  Cagney, Cary Grant, Judy Garland.    I didn't explain it very well to begin with! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lilypond said:

Also, given the utterly secular English theater milieu from which he springs, I was fascinated to read that he is a Christian convert, as a result of reading Romans 8 one night in a hotel room.  Go, Gideon Bibles!   I don't expect anyone else to be thrilled by this, but I am, ha.   He's even recorded great hunks of the Bible,  reflecting his admiration for Paul.  

 

I've seen him on stage a few times, most notably in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf with Diana Rigg.

But -- are you saying that Paul is one of the great hunks of the Bible? Is there a pictorial calendar?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Kikiki said:

Agree with everyone on your list. Although I’m sure I saw Buster’s films growing up, I must not have been ready to fully appreciate his genius like I am now. The General! There is a film! I’ve watched it twice this past year, and so many others. There may even be a viewing this weekend. 

 theGeneral (while a thoroughbred Comedy) will ALWAYS Find Its Way into my "Favourite War Films" file

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kikiki said:

Agree with everyone on your list. Although I’m sure I saw Buster’s films growing up, I must not have been ready to fully appreciate his genius like I am now. The General! There is a film! I’ve watched it twice this past year, and so many others. There may even be a viewing this weekend. 

Honestly, i would Imagine You HAVE Scene This Before. If Not (or even if so) though; Thought You Might Enjoy. I've Seen This.. ...More Times than i want to publicly mention 🎩.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I take pleasure during my viewing of many movies in suddenly identifying a performer whose work has made an impression on me in multiple films and I make the connection that this is probably going to be a star even before said performer's career takes off. Most recently, I'd like I think I did that with Benedict Cumberbatch and, as I mentioned in another thread, Anya-Taylor Joy. I took similar pleasure years ago in believing I'd once similarly identified Kevin Spacey for future big-time stardom, but ya know ...

Edit: Ooh, just remembered Jeff Goldblum. As a kid, I saw him in the TV airing of Invasion of the Body Snatchers and a detective dramedy with Ben Vereen called Tenspeed and Brownshoe, and I took great pleasure in his future success as if I was his agent.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Aritosthenes said:

Honestly, i would Imagine You HAVE Scene This Before. If Not (or even if so) though; Thought You Might Enjoy. I've Seen This.. ...More Times than i want to publicly mention 🎩.

Thanks! I’ve seen it, but it has many viewings in it. He was the best. His creative genius stands the test of time and reaches multiple generations. Nobody looked like he did; nobody created comedy like he did; he was unique. Unfortunately his fall from grace was not unique, and he didn’t escape the usual Hollywood pitfalls and snares. But, his work speaks for itself. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Kikiki said:

Thanks! I’ve seen it, but it has many viewings in it. He was the best. His creative genius stands the test of time and reaches multiple generations. Nobody looked like he did; nobody created comedy like he did; he was unique. Unfortunately his fall from grace was not unique, and he didn’t escape the usual Hollywood pitfalls and snares. But, his work speaks for itself. 

+Agreed.

 

   You Bet,. Love to Recommend Stuff. Especially If There's Any Inkling of Interest. (as by now i'd Certainly Imagine You've (more than) Figured Out)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...