Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

10 Films to See in Theaters Right Now


sewhite2000
 Share

Recommended Posts

I've resumed weekend viewings in theaters as a full-time sport. This may end soon if the new variant becomes debilitating worldwide, but for now anyway. May I recommend 10 films in theaters right now that are worth seeing? I will rank them, though I'm hesitant to say from "best" to "worst". Let's say from "seriously worth seeing" down to "worth seeing". Some of these are probably in the smaller, more "arthouse" theaters, so if you don't live in a city large enough to accomodate those, they may be hard to find. Sorry. I'm sure they're all presently or very soon will be available for streaming.

1. The Power of the Dog
2. C'mon C'mon
3. The Humans
4. Dune
5. The Souvenir, Part II
6. Spencer
7. Belfast
8. The Beta Test
9. Ghostbusters: Afterlife
10. Lamb

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

I've resumed weekend viewings in theaters as a full-time sport. This may end soon if the new variant becomes debilitating worldwide, but for now anyway. May I recommend 10 films in theaters right now that are worth seeing? I will rank them, though I'm hesitant to say from "best" to "worst". Let's say from "seriously worth seeing" down to "worth seeing". Some of these are probably in the smaller, more "arthouse" theaters, so if you don't live in a city large enough to accomodate those, they may be hard to find. Sorry. I'm sure they're all presently or very soon will be available for streaming.

1. The Power of the Dog
2. C'mon C'mon
3. The Humans
4. Dune
5. The Souvenir, Part II
6. Spencer
7. Belfast
8. The Beta Test
9. Ghostbusters: Afterlife
10. Lamb

Thanks for the list,  sewhite.   I'd add to that,  Last Night in Soho, which I saw last week  ( in yes,  a little "arthouse"  cinema)  and The French Dispatch, a new Wes Anderson which I haven't seen yet, but am hoping to this week  ( again, in that same  little cinema.)  Of course we all know that Wes Anderson 's   work is not for all tastes, but if one is a fan,  I've heard his latest is also one of his best.

Also...I suppose this is a little blatantly self-promotional, but what the hell...I posted a write-up about Belfast on the "I Just Watched" thread a little while ago.  Probably 3 or 4 pages back by now.  

EDIT:  sorry, I didn't see that Aritosthenes had just also mentioned The French Dispatch.  Posts overlap !

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like those suggestions and am intrigued by both of those movies. I tend to not read the I Just Watched thread very much unless it's the time of year that I'm posting on it! All the information tends to overwhelm me. But I will make a point of seeking out  your Belfast review.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

...Wow, there's finally a whole 10 of them??  😛

That's good news for some of the 15-screen theaters that still had to play Gremlins and the live-action Aladdin.

Sorry. I'm sure they're all presently or very soon will be available for streaming.

I'm pretty sure ALL of them are available for streaming.  Which unfortunately blurred the line between the real movies that play theaters, like Dune, and Ghostbusters: Fancon, and the minor indies like Lamb that would normally go straight to streaming to begin with.

If we ever open up theaters again to remember the difference, maybe we can put the last two years behind us.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No desire to see the new Ghostbusters in the theater.  Wasted my money on the last one a few years ago.  Would love to see the newest 007 and The French Dispatch but difficult with a baby to get away for a few hours.  I really wanted to take my 3 year old to see 007 as his first film in the cinema, but wifey nixed that idea. ☹️

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Thanks for the list,  sewhite.   I'd add to that,  Last Night in Soho, which I saw last week  ( in yes,  a little "arthouse"  cinema)  and The French Dispatch, a new Wes Anderson which I haven't seen yet, but am hoping to this week  ( again, in that same  little cinema.)  Of course we all know that Wes Anderson 's   work is not for all tastes, but if one is a fan,  I've heard his latest is also one of his best.

Also...I suppose this is a little blatantly self-promotional, but what the hell...I posted a write-up about Belfast on the "I Just Watched" thread a little while ago.  Probably 3 or 4 pages back by now.  

EDIT:  sorry, I didn't see that Aritosthenes had just also mentioned The French Dispatch.  Posts overlap !

Dispach is Anderson's BEST, to date imho. Far As Im Concerned. But i sometimes fire blanks

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Shank Asu said:

No desire to see the new Ghostbusters in the theater.  Wasted my money on the last one a few years ago.  Would love to see the newest 007 and The French Dispatch but difficult with a baby to get away for a few hours.  I really wanted to take my 3 year old to see 007 as his first film in the cinema, but wifey nixed that idea. ☹️

Honestly Take This As a Measly Grain of Salt, but Dont Give up on Afterlife. Its Fun (Definitely half empty. Half Full Scenario though here.)

The Kiddoes are LOVELY (imo. Real, Goonies Vibe imo) and Mum (literally: except when she's possessed) Is Also a Delight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Aritosthenes said:

Honestly Take This As a Measly Grain of Salt, but Dont Give up on Afterlife. Its Fun (Definitely half empty. Half Full Scenario though here.)

The Kiddoes are LOVELY (imo. Real, Goonies Vibe imo) and Mum (literally: except when she's possessed) Is Also a Delight.

as a goonie myself, i appreciate the recommendation.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Shank Asu said:

No desire to see the new Ghostbusters in the theater.  Wasted my money on the last one a few years ago.  Would love to see the newest 007 and The French Dispatch but difficult with a baby to get away for a few hours.  I really wanted to take my 3 year old to see 007 as his first film in the cinema, but wifey nixed that idea. ☹️

Even if it was just his first 007, why wasn't it Goldfinger?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The last movies I've seen in the theater were all classics and ones I'd seen before: The General, A Face in the Crowd, Nightmare Alley, High Society, Citizen Kane... I think the last movie I saw in the theater that I hadn't seen before was The Great Muppet Caper.  Lol.

There are some movies coming out though that look interesting: the new adaptation of Nightmare AlleyLast Night in Soho which MissWonderly mentioned above, maybe The French Dispatch, though I'll admit that I've only seen Wes Anderson's Royal Tenenbaums.   I'm curious about Belfast, and Paul Thomas Anderson's upcoming Licorice Pizza looks like it could be good. I've heard that Kirsten Dunst is in Oscar-contention for Power of the Dog.  I am not sure though if I want to see that in the theater, especially if it's Jane Campion.  I think on some level, I still haven't gotten over seeing The Piano when it was new, when I was 9. 

Then there seem to be all these Princess Diana movies out all of a sudden, or maybe it's just one film that I keep hearing about.  I don't know.  But that poor woman, I remember when she died.  I don't know if I need to see a whole movie about it. 

House of Gucci also looks interesting.

I'm not a big action/sci-fi/superhero person, so I cross Bond, Dune, and all the Marvel things off my "must-see" list. 

A lot of these "looks interesting" movies might end up being RedBox rentals, because they're so cheap and easier to obtain than as a new release at the library.  Or of course, if they end up on a streaming service, I'll use that. 

With that said, I am happy to see movies in the theater, and seeing these movies last longer than a week.

Though, remember when movies used to run in the theater for months? I remember when Titanic came out in Winter of 1997 (which I saw opening day in the 8th grade, lol), that movie was in the theaters in my hometown of Salem, OR for at least a year. I don't even think I'm exaggerating. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I've resumed weekend viewings in theaters as a full-time sport. This may end soon if the new variant becomes debilitating worldwide, but for now anyway. May I recommend 10 films in theaters right now that are worth seeing? I will rank them, though I'm hesitant to say from "best" to "worst". Let's say from "seriously worth seeing" down to "worth seeing". Some of these are probably in the smaller, more "arthouse" theaters, so if you don't live in a city large enough to accomodate those, they may be hard to find. Sorry. I'm sure they're all presently or very soon will be available for streaming.

1. The Power of the Dog
2. C'mon C'mon
3. The Humans
4. Dune
5. The Souvenir, Part II
6. Spencer
7. Belfast
8. The Beta Test
9. Ghostbusters: Afterlife
10. Lamb

I've seen Dune (because a friend wanted to see it) and The French Dispatch (which I wanted to see). Neither grabbed me (ditto No Time to Die).

I'll skip The Power of the Dog because a Western directed by a woman doesn't appeal to me (especially a Western having the theme of "toxic masculinity"), and the few Jane Campion flicks I've seen (Sweetie and In the Cut) were, to me, neither impressive nor interesting.

Of all the movies on your list, only The Humans interests me.

The one forthcoming release that I am really looking forward to is Guillermo del Toro's remake of Nightmare Alley.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well ... thanks? I personally wouldn't go out of my way to come on here and take a .... all over someone else's recommendations, but we're different  people, obviously. I disagree with you about Jane Campion. I wouldn't avoid a Western just because it was directed by a woman. I  don't enjoy Westerns in general, though, at least not most of the  ones before the pre-"revisionist" Westerns that began to deconstruct the genre and its hoary conventions.

However, I am also intrigued by Nightmare Alley.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Shank Asu said:

No desire to see the new Ghostbusters in the theater.  Wasted my money on the last one a few years ago

Never saw that one, but this has no connection to it. It's a direct continuity continuation of the original franchise with a lot of Easter eggs for older fans (although trying to capitalize on the Stranger Things vibe including using one of its leads to attract younger fans, I guess) and some suprisingly touching moments.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Well ... thanks? I personally wouldn't go out of my way to come on here and take a .... all over someone else's recommendations, but we're different  people, obviously. I disagree with you about Jane Campion. I wouldn't avoid a Western just because it was directed by a woman. I  don't enjoy Westerns in general, though, at least not most of the  ones before the pre-"revisionist" Westerns that began to deconstruct the genre and its hoary conventions.

However, I am also intrigued by Nightmare Alley.

 

Yes, we are very different people. Is that a problem? Do you expect everyone to share your tastes?

I'm always intrigued by folks who feel compelled to recommend stuff to other people. Awfully presumptuous, IMO. But, different strokes etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Though, remember when movies used to run in the theater for months? I remember when Titanic came out in Winter of 1997 (which I saw opening day in the 8th grade, lol), that movie was in the theaters in my hometown of Salem, OR for at least a year. I don't even think I'm exaggerating. 

Dances with Wolves played in my hometown theater for 13 months. I think they had some kind of half-price day on its one-year anniversary. Today, even sometehing like Avengers: Endgame  runs maybe three, three-and-a-half months tops before going to the second-run "dollar" theaters (however much they charge at those places now). Too much push for new product? I haven't read much about the reasons for this change.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Yes, we are very different people. Is that a problem? Do you expect everyone to share your tastes?

I'm always intrigued by folks who feel compelled to recommend stuff to other people. Awfully presumptuous, IMO. But, different strokes etc.

Guess you and I are also very different people.  I kind of always thought one of the reasons these TCM boards exist is for many people, anyone who likes movies and who likes TCM  ( that's a lot of people )  can come and and exchange ideas and thoughts about movies and movie-related topics.  I did not think the original poster was objecting to that  -- the idea of us all being different.

As for "folks who...recommend stuff to other people"... I never thought anyone here felt compelled to recommend films to others, it's more like it's one reason why these boards exist  ( see my above sentence about that.)  Nobody compels anyone to listen to their recommendations or watch a film, "compel" seems an odd choice of word.   

Part of the fun of these TCM discussion boards is to do just that:  post about a film we've seen that we thought was good,  and that others here might also enjoy.  Nobody's saying others have to see the recommended movie or even read the post about it.  Your attitude that those who like a film and recommend it to other movie lovers are "presumptuous"   strikes me as  strange and  unfriendly .

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Today, even sometehing like Avengers: Endgame  runs maybe three, three-and-a-half months tops before going to the second-run "dollar" theaters (however much they charge at those places now). Too much push for new product? I haven't read much about the reasons for this change.

...They still HAVE second-run dollar theaters?  We lost our last one in '00-'01!  😭  We were amazed it survived the new DVD era, but it was out by the grocery strip-mall, so it was also a local-favorite thing.

And the big problem--causing the industry to try and stoke our high-school rock-concert urges for "Be there opening weekend!"--is that 1600-screen wide release in the glorious 80's became 4800-screen wide release in the 10's.  Do the math, and that creates movies with 1/3 the lifespan, before everyone in the country sees it at least once, whether or not they wait to buy the disk.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, misswonderly3 said:

Guess you and I are also very different people. 

You guess? Why am I sensing that guess is surprising to you.

Yes, we are very different people. Again, is that a problem?

1 hour ago, misswonderly3 said:

As for "folks who...recommend stuff to other people"... I never thought anyone here felt compelled to recommend films to others, it's more like it's one reason why these boards exist  ( see my above sentence about that.)  Nobody compels anyone to listen to their recommendations or watch a film, "compel" seems an odd choice of word. 

Regarding your rebuttal, let us agree to disagree. IMO, some folks feel compelled to not only express their opinions but also to provide (unasked for) guidance (how do you like that word choice?) to others . . . behavior that strikes me as presumptuous.

Sewhite2000 earns points for politely asking, "May I recommend . . .?" At least, her intro was, thankfully, not an instruction nor command.

But she gets demerits for completing her question, ". . . 10 films in theaters right now that are worth seeing?"

Worth seeing to who? Worth seeing to her. She likes those ten movies, so why shouldn't somebody else like them? (Psssst! That's where the "presumptuous" part comes in Miss W!).

People feel the need to share, go ahead and share. It's human nature. Whatever. I get it.

What I don't get is people who -- seems to me -- don't even consider that their opinions/recommendations will not be embraced, shared, and welcomed by everyone. Sewhite2000 temporarily forgot that pitfall. 'Twas my pleasure to remind her.

1 hour ago, misswonderly3 said:

Your attitude that those who like a film and recommend it to other movie lovers are "presumptuous"   strikes me as  strange and  unfriendly .

Exactly the tone I was aiming for! Whew! For a moment there, I thought I'd lost my touch! Thank you for the confirmation!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Today, even sometehing like Avengers: Endgame  runs maybe three, three-and-a-half months tops before going to the second-run "dollar" theaters (however much they charge at those places now).

 A weird thing has happened in Syracuse....our $1.75 second run indie theaters have turned into first run theaters because the big chains remain closed or people aren't going to them. I am in never in a hurry - have a 8" stack of DVDs backed up in my queue. That said, my movie buddy mentioned WEST SIDE STORY and I'm always up for joining up with a group of friends.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...