Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

10 Films to See in Theaters Right Now

7 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

A weird thing has happened in Syracuse....our $1.75 second run indie theaters have turned into first run theaters because the big chains remain closed or people aren't going to them. I am in never in a hurry - have a 8" stack of DVDs backed up in my queue. That said, my movie buddy mentioned WEST SIDE STORY and I'm always up for joining up with a group of friends.

Our first-run theaters are still first run... Though lately when I've gone to those theaters, it's to see a Fathom event.  There are two movie palaces in Portland that show first-run films in addition to classic films.  Last week, I went to the Hollywood Theatre in NE Portland three times! I saw Nightmare Alley, A Face in the Crowd, and The General with live Wurlitzer organ accompaniment.  The General also featured a bonus 1919 Felix the Cat cartoon which was interesting. I love the Hollywood Theatre.  They have a ton of regular themed programming.  In particular, they have a Classic Hollywood series and a pre-code series! Plus, there are special one-off series that are featured.  A Face in the Crowd was shown as part of a series on prescient films, called "The Future is Now." The General was shown as part of the "Pipe Organ Pictures" series that is put on by the Columbia River Theatre Organ Society.  I didn't even know such a group existed, but I'm happy they do.  Later in December, I'm planning on going to one of their pre-code shows, they're showing The Thin Man! While I go to Cinemark on occasion to see the Fathom Events, I am happy to see that Portland's local movie palaces are still featuring unique programming and making not only classic film, but other niche genres accessible to everyone. 

West Side Story is showing tomorrow.  I'm trying to decide if I want to see it again.  It's the 2 hour 40 min runtime, starting at 7pm, 35 mins from home which has me questioning whether I want to go. I've seen it in the theater before.  It's one of those movies that I like, though I very much dislike the dubbing of Natalie Wood and Richard Beymer.  I wonder if the death of Stephen Sondheim will increase attendance. 

8 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

At least, her intro was, thankfully, not an instruction nor command.

But she gets demerits for completing her question, ". . . 10 films in theaters right now that are worth seeing?"

Worth seeing to who? Worth seeing to her. She likes those ten movies, so why shouldn't somebody else like them? (Psssst! That's where the "presumptuous" part comes in Miss W!).

People feel the need to share, go ahead and share. It's human nature. Whatever. I get it.

i'm a he, actually.

I appreciate the supportive comments from people. Honestly, this is maybe the first time I ever posted in my 13 years on the message boards with recommendations for other people to watch. It was certainly not with any presumption that I am a purveyor of taste, just some ideas I had in my head that I wanted to share. I agree that these boards were created for such things.  People are free to disagree with my suggestions, of course. There's a way to say "I don't care to check out this or that recommendation"politely (Shank Asu),  and there are ways that are not polite. I have other things I would like to say, but I don't want to elaborate. It's pointless for me to try to take any sort of moral position. But thanks again, everyone.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
7 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

i'm a he, actually.

I knew that. And now I know your age-I'm a few years older than Julian Lennon!

7 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I appreciate the supportive comments from people.

You're a valued member, your posts contain intelligent, insightful comments.  Don't bother responding to unintelligible, unnecessarily rude comments.  Sometimes, it's best to have those non-contributing members on ignore...I do. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I can't understand why anyone here making suggestions would be considered a faux pas.

I appreciate seeing such lists.  While there are some titles on the list provided I have no interest in, others I had not heard about and went to do research on them.

I took it to be a list of suggestions,  not requirements. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I know everyone has different tastes in art.  I like seeing what other people like and dislike and why. i never thought i was being presumptuous by offering my own opinions and i do realize sometimes i can't offer much of an explanation for why i might dislike something so i may come across as being short or curt, (also i'm usually writing posts at work and don't have time to find the words if they aren't obvious from the start), but really, given enough time, i would probably watch every film there is.  if i say i'll skip something, it's because my list of what i want to watch is far too long at the moment.  But yeah, hopefully all posts are supportive/constructive, regardless if they're of an opinion on a film or anything else. 

• Like 2
21 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

i'm a he, actually.

Thanks for the clarification.

As has been made clear several times during this discussion, not everyone is the same nor has the same tastes. I don't consider that fact a problem.

You recommended ten movies. I responded, which provoked you to reply, "I personally wouldn't go out of my way to come on here and take a  . . . all over someone else's recommendations . . ." -- a prickly reaction that, I infer, was because you were bugged by my response.

You later expressed that I reminded you why you rarely recommend movies. So it was deja vu all over again for you -- and STILL you dood it!

. . . which inclines me to wonder, "Why?"

Not why you "tempted Fate" to make your recommendations. But why got bent out of shape by my initial response. You knew the train was coming but you laid down on the tracks anyway!

You like what you like. I like what I like (which may or may not be what you like). What's the problem?

To Those Who Don't Care for My Tone and Attitude . . .

1845027170-436a3f27ae2da4bc01ac19e78357d

3 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Yeah, I seriously don't have anything else to say. You think you're perfect, and that I am  less than nothing, so just take that and be happy.

Oh,  for the luvva . . . !

Hey, Man, I don't think I'm perfect -- and I don't even know you!

If you're putting me on, well played! If OTOH, you're totally serious -- don't take our difference of opinion personal, Sewhite2000.

Moving Right Along

Far be it from me to recommend movies. But, I recently watched Passing (currently playing on Netflix). I enjoyed it, primarily because it is set during 1929 (the year the source novel by Nella Larsen was published). But, I also dug the subject matter: light-skinned Negroes passing as "white" -- a divisive, internecine, intraracial phenomenon within the African-American community that I, for one, would like to see more explorations of in American cinema.  I found the movie adaptation to be a poignant, adult, human drama and a much welcome (by me) alternative to the lightweight action-fantasy-"escapist" swill contaminating movie theatres.

The National Board of Review Best Picture for 2021 is Licorice Pizza.  Runners-up are Belfast, Don't Look Up, Dune, A Hero, King Richard, Last Duel, Nightmare Alley, Red Rocket, The Tragedy of Macbeth and West Side Story.   I haven't seen any of them so can't comment.

• Thanks 1
On 11/30/2021 at 7:32 PM, speedracer5 said:

Our first-run theaters are still first run... Though lately when I've gone to those theaters, it's to see a Fathom event.  There are two movie palaces in Portland that show first-run films in addition to classic films.  Last week, I went to the Hollywood Theatre in NE Portland three times! I saw Nightmare Alley, A Face in the Crowd, and The General with live Wurlitzer organ accompaniment.  The General also featured a bonus 1919 Felix the Cat cartoon which was interesting. I love the Hollywood Theatre.  They have a ton of regular themed programming.  In particular, they have a Classic Hollywood series and a pre-code series! Plus, there are special one-off series that are featured.  A Face in the Crowd was shown as part of a series on prescient films, called "The Future is Now." The General was shown as part of the "Pipe Organ Pictures" series that is put on by the Columbia River Theatre Organ Society.  I didn't even know such a group existed, but I'm happy they do.  Later in December, I'm planning on going to one of their pre-code shows, they're showing The Thin Man! While I go to Cinemark on occasion to see the Fathom Events, I am happy to see that Portland's local movie palaces are still featuring unique programming and making not only classic film, but other niche genres accessible to everyone. 

West Side Story is showing tomorrow.  I'm trying to decide if I want to see it again.  It's the 2 hour 40 min runtime, starting at 7pm, 35 mins from home which has me questioning whether I want to go. I've seen it in the theater before.  It's one of those movies that I like, though I very much dislike the dubbing of Natalie Wood and Richard Beymer.  I wonder if the death of Stephen Sondheim will increase attendance. 

I won't go into Portland these days, but i like the Hollywood theatre.  My first feature film premiered there as it was a Portland production with mostly Portland talent/crew.

I tend to go to Cinema 21 more, but TBH i haven't even looked up if it is still in business recently.

3 hours ago, Shank Asu said:

I won't go into Portland these days, but i like the Hollywood theatre.  My first feature film premiered there as it was a Portland production with mostly Portland talent/crew.

I tend to go to Cinema 21 more, but TBH i haven't even looked up if it is still in business recently.

Cinema 21 is still in business. I saw “Young Frankenstein” there at the end of October. In fact, they are starting a classic film series in 2022. 

I go into Portland every day for work. But I go to  Portland all the time. If there’s something I want to do, I go there. I went to the Hollywood three times the week of Thanksgiving. I’m going to the Hollywood this weekend to see “Remember the Night.” Later this month, I’m going there again to see “The Thin Man.” My game group meets in inner SE about every other Monday. 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

I recently watched Passing

I'm interested in this movie, too. This could be a wonderful, melting moment of reproachment between us, but ... oh God, I can't even say it. I'm going to stop right there. Thanks for the film recommendation.

• Like 1

Thanks for the film recommendation.

Well, I wasn't recommending Passing (I strive to practice what I "preach"). I was merely expressing my appreciation of it.

I'm interested in this movie, too. This could be a wonderful, melting moment of reproachment between us . . .

Works for me, Sewhite2000. Totally.

Peace.

13 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Cinema 21 is still in business. I saw “Young Frankenstein” there at the end of October. In fact, they are starting a classic film series in 2022. 

I go into Portland every day for work. But I go to  Portland all the time. If there’s something I want to do, I go there. I went to the Hollywood three times the week of Thanksgiving. I’m going to the Hollywood this weekend to see “Remember the Night.” Later this month, I’m going there again to see “The Thin Man.” My game group meets in inner SE about every other Monday. 

Very cool. i'd like to see the Thin Man on the big screen.  This is my first christmas in 5 years in Portland so trying to soak things up but i find downtown a bit depressing to what it was just a couple years ago.  i might try to find my way into NW and cinema 21 while i'm here.

11 hours ago, Shank Asu said:

Very cool. i'd like to see the Thin Man on the big screen.  This is my first christmas in 5 years in Portland so trying to soak things up but i find downtown a bit depressing to what it was just a couple years ago.  i might try to find my way into NW and cinema 21 while i'm here.

I don't go into downtown very often.  When I did, I went to the Pearl on the other side instead.  I've been spending more time in Hollywood and Inner SE lately.

Cinema 21 will be showing Remember the Night on December 18.  I was going to go to that showing, but I'm going to Eugene instead to see a play of Holiday Inn

On 11/29/2021 at 11:40 AM, sewhite2000 said:

I've resumed weekend viewings in theaters as a full-time sport. This may end soon if the new variant becomes debilitating worldwide, but for now anyway. May I recommend 10 films in theaters right now that are worth seeing? I will rank them, though I'm hesitant to say from "best" to "worst". Let's say from "seriously worth seeing" down to "worth seeing". Some of these are probably in the smaller, more "arthouse" theaters, so if you don't live in a city large enough to accomodate those, they may be hard to find. Sorry. I'm sure they're all presently or very soon will be available for streaming.

1. The Power of the Dog
2. C'mon C'mon
3. The Humans
4. Dune
5. The Souvenir, Part II
6. Spencer
7. Belfast
8. The Beta Test
9. Ghostbusters: Afterlife
10. Lamb

Maybe a line or two about what you liked under each title. Like the old "a delightful romp with cannibals" or "hot shower scene!" Whatever stands out.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The New York Film Critics Circle Best Picture for 2021 went to Drive My Car.  Other awards:  The Power of the Dog, House of Gucci, The Tragedy of Macbeth, Licorice Pizza, The Worst Person in the World, The Lost Daughter and West Side Story.  

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Ha ha ha, "hot shower scene" might be my summary for every modern movie I like.

15 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

It's often the redeeming feature.

Actually,  it was the "delightful romp with cannibals" line that had me literally laughing out loud.   For some reason it strikes me as ridiculously funny !

• Like 1
16 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Feels to me like any romp with cannibals is going to ultimately turn out to be not-so-delightful for the non-cannibal, but I COULD be wrong ....?

Could the actors in a film featuring a delightful romp with cannibals be called "scenery chewing"  ?

• Haha 1