Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actress Arlene Dahl (1925-2021)

MikaelaArsenault

https://theblast.com/133177/legendary-actress-arlene-dahl-mother-of-lorenzo-lamas-dies-at-age-96/

Legendary actress Arlene Dahl has died at the age of 96, and her son — Lorenzo Lamas — is paying tribute to his famous mother.

According to the ‘Renegade’ star, Dahl passed away this morning in New York. The actress is survived by her husband, perfume bottle designer, Marc Rosen.

Arlene Dahl is a former Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer star who achieved huge fame back in the 1950s after playing a supporting role in ‘The Bride Goes Wild’ and playing the lead character in ‘A Southern Yankee’ and ‘Journey to the Center of the Earth.’ She is known as one of the last surviving stars from the “classical Hollywood cinema” era.

Lamas took to Facebook to announce the passing of his mother, along with a lengthy message about her legacy and life in Hollywood.

“Mom passed away this morning in New York. She was the most positive influence on my life. I will remember her laughter, her joy, her dignity as she navigated the challenges that she faced. Never an ill word about anyone crossed her lips. Her ability to forgive left me speechless at times. She truly was a force of nature and as we got closer in my adult life, I leaned on her more and more as my life counselor and the person I knew that lived and loved to the fullest,” he wrote. 

Lorenzo continued, “My sympathies go to her loving husband (Marc Rosen) who, for the last 37 years, made her life so wonderful and joyous. Love you mom forever.”

Arlene is also the grandmother of ‘Bachelor’ winner Shayne Lamas-Richie, who is the granddaughter of Argentine Fernando Lamas and his wife Arlene Dahl. Of course, Shayne’s dad followed in the footsteps of his mother and star in several television shows. The family reunited for a reality show entitled, ‘Leave It To Lamas,’ where it followed Shayne trying to reunite with her brother AJ and their father, who didn’t speak to each other. “There’s a chance we can make things better through the circumstances of a television show. … I’ve seen A.J. more in the last two weeks than I have in the past three years,” he said at the time.

She is survived by her talented great-granddaughter Press Lamas-Richie and her famous great-grandson Lyon Fernando Lamas-Richie.

Back in August, Dahl and Rosen put their legendary Hollywood home on the market — which they bought over 40 years ago — and restored it to a perfect Italianate Victorian. The house played host to star-studded events including Lorenzo Lama’s wedding, and the 80th birthday party for Helen Hayes. The famous couple has hosted Brooke Shields, Rosie O’Donnell, Joan Collins, Liza Minelli, and Joan Rivers at their home.

• Thanks 5
  • Sad 3

My son graduated from the same high school Arlene had attended---Washburn.    So beautiful in Technicolor, I enjoyed her in the musical Three Little Words with Fred Astaire, Red Skelton and Vera-Ellen.  Also the noir crime drama Slightly Scarlet with Rhonda Fleming as her sister and John Payne.  

Rest in peace, rest in paradise, Arlene Dahl.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

She was a friend of Turner Classic Movies from Day 1. On April 14, 1994, she was present for the Times Square ceremony that began TCM's long run. Pictured below (from left to right): director Arthur Hiller, actresses Dahl, Jane Powell and Celeste Holm, TCM creator Ted Turner, actor Van Johnson and host Robert Osborne.

tcm-launch-color.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, filmnoirguy said:

My son graduated from the same high school Arlene had attended---Washburn.    So beautiful in Technicolor, I enjoyed her in the musical Three Little Words with Fred Astaire, Red Skelton and Vera-Ellen.  Also the noir crime drama Slightly Scarlet with Rhonda Fleming as her sister and John Payne.  

Rest in peace, rest in paradise, Arlene Dahl.   

This Is ANYthing but a "size" comparison here but i ADORED her in Everything.

especially in Her Earth's Journey.

Gorgeous, charming, warm and vibrant.  I loved her in noir thriller "Scene of the Crime",   as devoted, glamorous wife to police detective Van Johnson.

She was one of those classic Hollywood stars who always had something going, like the beauty books she authored.   She was such a gracious, amusing interview too.   Hate to see that era closing out.   RIP.

• Like 7

So sorry to hear that.  Journey to the Center of the Earth, the favorite movie of my childhood, remains one of my favorites. Ms. Dahl was great in it, as Carla Goteberg. I was at a cocktail party at the French Consulate in New York about 15 years ago. In one corner of the room, there was Arlene Dahl, Celeste Holm, and Patricia Neal sitting together, like the Three Graces.

MV5BMTMwOGE4ZDctNTkyMC00MTc5LWFiNGMtZDc0

• Like 3

When she wrote her book "Always Ask a Man" I read the reviews and desperately wanted but could not afford the hard cover copy.  A year or so later I was checking out at Walgreen's and there on the paperback tree was her face smiling back at me.  I really couldn't afford that either but there was no way I was going to pass it up even if it meant beanie wienies for a month. 

It was worth it.  She helped me find my make-up and fashion style and I kept it for years as a go to reference when I considered anything new.   Instead of going blond in summer my light brown hair would sport auburn  streaks and her "tests" at the end of the chapters encouraged me to go red full time.   It finally fell apart but I must have had it memorized by then.

She was ahead of her time, twenty years before  the "Color Me Beautiful" craze of the 1980's.    While I did learn some new ideas from that most of it I had already been accessing thanks to Arlene.   Rest in peace and thank you.

• Like 2

I'm sorry to hear that Ms. Dahl has passed.  Another piece of Classic Hollywood is gone.

I'll admit that I haven't seen many of her films.  Looking over her filmography, I've only seen Three Little Words.  During this past summer when Lucille Ball's 1965 radio show aired for three weeks on Sirius, Arlene was on there to promote her new book, Always Ask a Man.  While I can't say that I agreed completely with the premise, I liked her focus on what women can do for themselves and make themselves look and feel their absolute best.  While Lucy and Arlene's conversation was definitely of its time, I found Ms. Dahl a pleasure to listen to.  She had a very beautiful and pleasant speaking voice.  She definitely sold her book well on Lucy's show. 

Reading through her career on Wikipedia, she definitely wasn't afraid to try different things and wore a myriad of different hats throughout her life.

RIP Ms. Dahl.

Arlene Dahl, whom some may have confused, at times, with another red haired screen queen of her time, Rhonda Fleming, will always be remembered for her ice cool beauty in a dozen films of the '50s. I also appreciate her, in particular, for one time she was, ironically, co-starred with Fleming, playing her sister in the film noir Slightly Scarlet.

She stole the show as the "bad sister," bringing a kittenish appeal to her portrayal of a nymphomaniac ex con just released from prison who uses her attractiveness to try to lure a man from her sister. Yet somehow Ms Dahl was also capable of bringing a bit of a naive innocence to this same character, as though she couldn't help herself. Dahl's sly performance made me wish that she had been given the opportunity to play "bad girls" more often. However, I've yet to see Wicked As They Come, a drama Dahl made immediately afterward. I will now be seeking this film out, in the hopes that the actress was allowed to play someone reflective of the film's title.

The Nitrate Diva on Twitter: "SLIGHTLY SCARLET (1956): Pulpy Technicolor  noir about sisterhood & corruption with Arlene Dahl & Rhonda Fleming at  their best. #Noirvember https://t.co/AzFZGU8AbJ" / Twitter

RIP, Miss Dahl. Thanks for sharing with us your beauty and style.

• Like 3