Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actress Arlene Dahl (1925-2021)

On 11/30/2021 at 12:09 AM, speedracer5 said:

In honor of Arlene Dahl, I’m watching “Scene of the Crime.”  It’s my second Dahl film! And it has a noir Van Johnson, Tom Drake, a mustache-less Leon Ames, a blonde Gloria DeHaven, and Norman Lloyd!

Scene of the Crime is one of the better Van Johnson films and overall a good one.     John McIntire also provides solid support in this MGM noir.

• Like 1

One  Arlene  Dahl's  best  film  was  Woman's   World  1954.  It  had  an  strong  cast  like  Van  Heflin ,  Lauren  Bacall,  June  Allyson,  Fred  MacMurray,  Clifton  Webb,  Cornel  Wilde  and  Elliot  Reid.  The  executive  Clifton  Webb  was  to  make  an  choice  for  a  top executive  spot  by  interviewing  the  their  wives.  The  movie  similar  to  Executive  Suite,  but  was  more  of  a comedy.  I  thank  Arlene  Dahl  for  her  contributions  to the  world  of  films  and  she  will  be  missed.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

I have to agree with CINEMAMAN on Woman's World 1954. She plays one of the scheming, get-ahead-at-any-cost wives who wants her husband to get the top executive spot. The one scene I love is an exchange with Lauren Bacall after Arlene has sabotaged the cocktail dress for June Allyson and they are sitting around as a group having tea with the Clifton Webb's sister. She was asked to watch the behavior of the ladies to help consider which husband gets the top executive position.  Lauren knows Arlene Dahl purposely ruined June Allyson's dress and while sitting with all of the women passes a plate of desserts with the catty line to Arlene "Have a Cookie- Cookie! 

Love that line as it shows Arlene that her scheming is known to all the other ladies..... 

TCM is planning a memorial tribute to Arlene Dahl for the daytime schedule on Friday, February 11.  The current lineup is (times ET):

06:00 AM  The Black Book (1949) (aka Reign of Terror)
    07:45 AM  Scene of the Crime (1949)
    09:30 AM  Ambush (1950)
    11:15 AM   The Outriders (1950)
    01:00 PM  Three Little Words (1950)
    02:45 PM  Inside Straight (1951)
    04:30 PM  Watch the Birdie (1951)

(There should be another film in the 6 pm time frame that is yet to be announced.)

• Like 1

I'm guessing TCM is in negotiations to air the Fox film Journey to the Center of the Earth, arguably her most famous film. But if they're unable to obain that, I assume they'll just pick the next flm on their more-or-less chronological run of her MGM career, which would be No Questions Asked, with her and Barry Sullivan from 1951.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I'm guessing TCM is in negotiations to air the Fox film Journey to the Center of the Earth, arguably her most famous film. But if they're unable to obain that, I assume they'll just pick the next flm on their more-or-less chronological run of her MGM career, which would be No Questions Asked, with her and Barry Sullivan from 1951.

Watch the Birdie at 4:30 pm is 71 minutes long, so if they start at 5:45 pm they can fit in Journey to the Center of the Earth, which is typically around 129 minutes.

Hope they can make that happen (Journey has not been shown on TCM since 2014).

• Like 1
8 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I'm guessing TCM is in negotiations to air the Fox film Journey to the Center of the Earth, arguably her most famous film. But if they're unable to obtain that, I assume they'll just pick the next flm on their more-or-less chronological run of her MGM career, which would be No Questions Asked, with her and Barry Sullivan from 1951.

I LOVE Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959). Saw it as a kid, and it's still one of my favorite movies. As a result of that film, on my first trip abroad, I flew to Edinburgh. On one of my early trips, I even stayed in a University of Edinburgh residence hall.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1
On 1/5/2022 at 2:34 PM, Hibi said:

I don't think I've seen Scene of the Crime. Looking forward to this noir!

Hibi, I'm a little surprised if you haven't already watched Scene of the Crime, although it hasn't been on TCM since March 2019.

Eddie also featured it on Noir Alley back in 2018.  To whet your appetite (or perhaps jog your memory), here's the intro:

I won't spoil things by posting the wrap-up.  But if you're interested, it's also available on YT.

Maybe I have seen it then! I remember seeing one Dahl film on Alley. Maybe I'm thinking of another noir she was in that I haven't seen! I get the titles mixed up.  I will still watch it as I've forgotten a lot of the plot (if its the one I've seen)