Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Old/New?

YabbaDabba

I am sure that their slogan, "everything old is new again" is part of their initiative to attract new (and younger) fans to classic movies.  Classic movies are often disregarded as being "old" (much like how classic movie fans often turn their noses up at new movies, because they're not like the classics, but I digress) and not worth watching.  But if an "old" movie is one that someone hasn't seen before, it is a "new" movie to them.  I think Lauren Bacall was the one who was quoted as saying "a movie isn't old if you haven't seen it before" or something to that effect.  A whole new crop of movies are waiting for the right, open-minded group of people to discover.  I think that that is what TCM is getting at with their "everything old is new again" campaign. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Actually, even though a "classic"  movie fan for many years, hardly a day goes by that I fail to see some "classic" movie that despite it being as old as 80-90 years old, is NEW to me!  ;)  on TCM.

Sepiatone

This right here!  

I do like some of the changes they've made - loving the addition of more foreign movies, for one thing.

And, I get that some newer movies are classic (although I would hesitate to call La La Land such, not all Oscar winners are deserving).   Or remade from classic movies.  It doesn't mean TCM needs to play them to gain newer viewers.   In my area, TCM is a *pay channel.  They lump it in with sports.  Thank you (not), Comcrap.

Keep TCM 25 years old and before.  We're already saturated with the new stuff, leave that to AMC et al.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, YabbaDabba said:

Keep TCM 25 years old and before.  We're already saturated with the new stuff, leave that to AMC et al.

25 years is a pretty reasonable cutoff.  It's also the date that you can register a vehicle in most places as an antique.   I would suggest a couple of exceptions.

First off, definitely keep on showing those documentaries on the history of film.  Also, I think i'd be willing to make an exception for more modern films that are about the early days of film (Hugo, biographies of early actors, or directors), or are outright homages to classic films (The Good German,  Down With Love)

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, rjbartrop said:

25 years is a pretty reasonable cutoff.  It's also the date that you can register a vehicle in most places as an antique.   I would suggest a couple of exceptions.

First off, definitely keep on showing those documentaries on the history of film.  Also, I think i'd be willing to make an exception for more modern films that are about the early days of film (Hugo, biographies of early actors, or directors), or are outright homages to classic films (The Good German,  Down With Love)

Yes, the cars, exactly what I was thinking.  

The documentaries are also excellent.  I guess I don't consider those in the same vein as I do the others!

21 hours ago, YabbaDabba said:

.  Thank you (not), Comcrap.

I gave the post this is from a "laugh" emoticon response due to up until now, my daughter was the only person I knew to call Comcast that!  ;) 

And as a former Comcrap client, a more fitting name couldn't be found!  :) 

Sepiatone