Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ANN CARVER'S PROFESSION (1933)

PrinceSaliano

I agree that Fay was gorgeous, but she was woefully miscast. This was a role better suirted to a Joan Crawford, Bette Davis or even Mirain Hopkins type. With all due respect for Ms. Wray, she did not have the acting "chops" for this role. Overall, it was a decent film, but could have been much better with a different lead.

> {quote:title=PrinceSaliano wrote:}{quote}

> LOL I would hardly expect Crawford or Davis or Hopkins to star in a Columbia programmer. The fact that Fay IS the star is what makes it so much fun!

I could see Davis being sent down to Columbia at that stage in her career, She was making programmers for Warners at this time! If the front office thought that she wasn't behaving to their liking, I could see them doing something like that.

> {quote:title=njpaddy wrote:}{quote}

> I didn't really care for Fay or the film. My wife, on the other hand, who's not a Fay Wray or pre-code fan, enjoyed it. Go figure. I did enjoy Fay's guinea hen line. Only in pre-code.

I found the courtroom scene pretty nauseating - it reminded me of the old "one drop of blood" rule for determining race, and the assumption that since the plaintiff may have been trying to pass, that relieves the (really eager) defendant (honestly, when she pulled her strap down, I thought he might jump her) of any breach of promise obligation. Fay does have a tendency to be kind of arch, but I don't think I would have enjoyed this film with anyone else in the lead role, either. It was a stock career woman film, and less enlightened than a lot of other precodes.

Archived