Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Winterbeast" (1992)

The plot of this bizarre film people are being killed off near a popular mountain lodge, with a legend claiming that the mountain is haunted by a deadly Native American demonic curse makes it sound a lot saner than it is. A DIY project shot on 16mm and super 8mm it features gory special effects and stop motion creatures .  The movie is like "Equinox" crossed with "The Evil Dead" - its out a now on blu ray from Vinegar Syndrome a must watch it you have a taster for weird films.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
On 12/13/2021 at 2:59 PM, jaragon said:

The plot of this bizarre film people are being killed off near a popular mountain lodge, with a legend claiming that the mountain is haunted by a deadly Native American demonic curse makes it sound a lot saner than it is. A DIY project shot on 16mm and super 8mm it features gory special effects and stop motion creatures .  The movie is like "Equinox" crossed with "The Evil Dead" - its out a now on blu ray from Vinegar Syndrome a must watch it you have a taster for weird films.

jaragon,

Based on your write-up, I watched Winterbeast, currently showing on Shudder, which offers the Vinegar Syndrome edition.

Equinox crossed with The Evil Dead -- I agree!

The stop-motion FX were, IMO, cheapjack (indeed, the entire production was strictly Amateur Hour) -- although I thought that the more realistic critters (the bird and lizard) were  better executed by the animator/animators than were the fantastical creatures.

According to the Internet Movie Database, filming on Winterbeast began in 1986, "but was forgotten." Production resumed in 1989. The filmmakers needn't have bothered remembering, as far as I'm concerned. However, reviews on Grimoire of Horror and Bleeding Skull report that this "forgotten cult gem" was filmed during the course of six years. I guess writer and director Christopher Thies is to be applauded for his perseverance . . . if not for his "talent."

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

jaragon,

Based on your write-up, I watched Winterbeast, currently showing on Shudder, which offers the Vinegar Syndrome edition.

Equinox crossed with The Evil Dead -- I agree!

The stop-motion FX were, IMO, cheapjack (indeed, the entire production was strictly Amateur Hour) -- although I thought that the more realistic critters (the bird and lizard) were  better executed by the animator/animators than were the fantastical creatures.

According to the Internet Movie Database, filming on Winterbeast began in 1986, "but was forgotten." Production resumed in 1989. The filmmakers needn't have bothered remembering, as far as I'm concerned. However, reviews on Grimoire of Horror and Bleeding Skull report that this "forgotten cult gem" was filmed during the course of six years. I guess writer and director Christopher Thies is to be applauded for his perseverance . . . if not for his "talent."

Yes making this film was years long challenge- The Vinegar Syndrome edition has many revealing extras- which details many behind the scene dramas- there is also an early cut of the movie which features a full frontal nudity from the guy who plays the sheriff hero who was never heard from again- I wonder what happened to him?