Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Remembers 2021

yanceycravat

Movie (Not TV) fans might find it hard pressed to say who, if anyone, they left out this year. I'm sure they'll think of someone. There were people in there I never heard of.

Clocking in at 4:55:27 I thought it was a perfect curtain call for those whose work we will continue to enjoy for years to come. Christopher Plummer got the end spot .

The video aired about 3 times last night (2021-12-18).

Kudos again TCM! Great job of editing all those clips together.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, yanceycravat said:

Movie (Not TV) fans might find it hard pressed to say who, if anyone, they left out this year. I'm sure they'll think of someone. There were people in there I never heard of.

Clocking in at 4:55:27 I thought it was a perfect curtain call for those whose work we will continue to enjoy for years to come. Christopher Plummer got the end spot .

The video aired about 3 times last night (2021-12-18). It has not been posted to their website yet.

The Rememberances at Turner Classic Movies are in a League and Class All Their Own.

Tastes and Opinions will Differ. Arlene Dahl, Cara Williams, and "Rust" hit me Especially Viscious. 🎨.

1 hour ago, yanceycravat said:

I caught most of the end of this year's tribute for the first time just prior to Saturday night's showing of Noir Alley.  Once again, TCM does its tributes right.  The music choice was a much more somber and toned-down version of REM's peppy hit from the early 90's "Shiny Happy People".  I would hope the remembrance isn't re-packaged with add-ons of people who might pass into the great beyond between now and the end of the year.  I've always thought it would be appropriate to include any such notables into the following year's tribute.

Hope it doesn't sound macabre, but I like to play a guessing game as to which person will get the end-spot of the memorial.  Christopher Plummer was a decent choice, although I would have been OK with someone like Cecily Tyson, Jane Powell, or Norman Lloyd who were all very talented people or were great fans of TCM themselves.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, midwestan said:

I caught most of the end of this year's tribute for the first time just prior to Saturday night's showing of Noir Alley.  Once again, TCM does its tributes right.  The music choice was a much more somber and toned-down version of REM's peppy hit from the early 90's "Shiny Happy People".  I would hope the remembrance isn't re-packaged with add-ons of people who might pass into the great beyond between now and the end of the year.  I've always thought it would be appropriate to include any such notables into the following year's tribute.

It seems to depend on their importance or fame. In general I would say that anyone who passes between now and the end of the year should be included since it's the same year. I think they usually add a few seconds where they can squeeze someone in.

I have been aware in years past there have been as many as three different versions. Some are corrections owing to a wrong image under the name or a late addition.

• Like 2

I think this is one of the best TCM Remebers videos they've done in some time.  Nice, clear clips of the actors.  And I loved the song as well.  I'm not an R.E.M. fan, and "Shiny Happy People" is a song that has always irked me to no end, but this somber arrangement made me tear up.  I'll agree with Midwestan and hope they just keep the tribute as is and save any further departures this month for next year, the main reason being that these additions often go unnoticed because people don't see them before the end of the year.  A good example is Carrie Fisher a few years ago, who was inserted rather perfunctorily a few days before the new year, and many people missed her and wondered why TCM didn't pay tribute the following year.

No egregious omissions this year.  A couple of omissions that surprised me are Italian producer Alberto Grimaldi (The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly) and British director Desmond Davis (Girl with Green Eyes, Clash of the Titans), but obviously not everyone can be included.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Feego said:

I'm not an R.E.M. fan, and "Shiny Happy People" is a song that has always irked me to no end, 

Aw, Feego....you're killin' me!  "Shiny Happy People" is one of my favorite REM songs...a good energy kind of song (at least, for me).  A woman I used to work with and I would do this on karaoke nights from time to time.  We got a good reception from it, if I do say so, myself.  Of course, while doing karaoke in bars, it was never lost on me that the more the customers drank, the better I sounded!  😀🍺

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, midwestan said:

Aw, Feego....you're killin' me!  "Shiny Happy People" is one of my favorite REM songs...a good energy kind of song (at least, for me).  A woman I used to work with and I would do this on karaoke nights from time to time.  We got a good reception from it, if I do say so, myself.  Of course, while doing karaoke in bars, it was never lost on me that the more the customers drank, the better I sounded!  😀🍺

Ha! I guess I'm just averse to songs about being happy!  There's a certain Bobby McFerrin song that absolutely drives me out of my skull! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, TCM did a great job on this year's TCM Remebers, with one exception, they left off Tommy Rall. How could that happen. I don't even recall the single day of remembrance for him when he passed away. I hope they have time to correct that error and add him to the remembrance circle.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2021 at 1:37 PM, Feego said:

No egregious omissions this year.  A couple of omissions that surprised me are Italian producer Alberto Grimaldi (The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly) and British director Desmond Davis (Girl with Green Eyes, Clash of the Titans), but obviously not everyone can be included.

Peter Scolari and Johnny Crawford were also missing.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

TCM Remembers 2021 is excellent this year!  I am a bit disappointed that Johnny Crawford wasn’t included. We lost two childhood stars with Johnny and Dean Stockwell both passing in 2021. Johnny Crawford didn’t have a prolific movie career, but he is the only young (teenage) actor killed by John Wayne - in El Dorado.  In addition, Johnny was also one of the first Disney Musketeers.  He was gifted, adorable and memorable…I wish he had made the cut in recognition for his contribution to our Big Screen memories. 

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, UMO1982 said:

Why is Christopher Plummer the lead out?

I would have guessed George Segal or Jane Powell.....

He starred in the much loved The Sound of Music is my guess. Plus he won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor,  not to mention a few Tonys and Emmys.

Arguably the most prominent actor who passed away this year.

May Wynn, who died in March at the age of 93, was one of those actors (like Gig Young, Anne Shirley and L.Q. Jones) who created a stage name from a character once played. Born Donna Lee Hickey, the singer and actress played May Wynn in "The Caine Mutiny" (1954).

See the source image

• Like 3

I guess I'm hard to please because I don't especially like it.  I don't have a problem with who or who wasn't included, and the photos were nice. However, I thought it was a bit hard to follow. It seemed to move too fast, but maybe that's because I didn't recognize the majority of them by their photos and thus, had to read their names and professions in the scant time allotted. The yellow print isn't easy to read, and I don't care for the song.  I don't exactly begrudge Christopher Plummer the final shot, but I think it should have gone to Jane Powell because, IMO, she is more representative of the "Golden Age of Hollywood". Also, she was a friend to TCM and loved by Robert Osborne.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LoyFan said:

I guess I'm hard to please because I don't especially like it.  I don't have a problem with who or who wasn't included, and the photos were nice. However, I thought it was a bit hard to follow. It seemed to move too fast, but maybe that's because I didn't recognize the majority of them by their photos and thus, had to read their names and professions in the scant time allotted. The yellow print isn't easy to read, and I don't care for the song.  I don't exactly begrudge Christopher Plummer the final shot, but I think it should have gone to Jane Powell because, IMO, she is more representative of the "Golden Age of Hollywood". Also, she was a friend to TCM and loved by Robert Osborne.

Plummer was a great choice for the final spot because his movie career began in 1958, and yet he was underappreciated for a long time. For years, he was one of the notable actors who had never received an Academy Award nomination. Then he wound up with three in  the 2010s -- all in the Best Supporting Actor category. 

His unforgettable 2012 acceptance speech for "Beginners" was a real treat.

Image result for christopher plummer oscars gif where have you been

• Like 2

My favorite closer is Peter O'Toole as Lawrence of Arabia, blowing out the lit match.  Hard to top that.  

I think this year's tribute is ok.  It seems a bit more democratic in that each person receives about the same amount of time per remembrance,  and I agree that it all does go by rather quickly.  

The one beef I have is probably because I'm just an old guy, but I really don't care for the songs and singers that are chosen for these tributes.  Not my cup of tea is all.  I know there are plenty of folks who really find them emotionally matched with what's on the screen.   

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, brianNH said:

My favorite closer is Peter O'Toole as Lawrence of Arabia, blowing out the lit match.  Hard to top that.  

I think this year's tribute is ok.  It seems a bit more democratic in that each person receives about the same amount of time per remembrance,  and I agree that it all does go by rather quickly.  

The one beef I have is probably because I'm just an old guy, but I really don't care for the songs and singers that are chosen for these tributes.  Not my cup of tea is all.  I know there are plenty of folks who really find them emotionally matched with what's on the screen.   

The 2014 closer was tops in my book. The final moments featured the young Shirley Temple singing a snippet of "Auld Lang Syne."

• Like 3