Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Amen to that --is it just us that find TCM showing same film in what seems like a weeks's time? Actually it's probably same flick shown again within 2 weeks.

I do think whomever programs these slots ought to be let go. His task is to provide DIFFERENT FILMS.

I wish the hell, Osborn would read these post!

"Sixmorereasons", the solution seems very simple to me. If there is a movie that you don't want to tire of because TCM is airing it too frequently to suit you, all you need to do is watch something else for a couple of hours and come back later to enjoy one of the hundreds of other movies that are very rarely aired. Keep in mind that TCM programs it's movies to reach a very broad audience which includes new subscribers every week who may have never seen "Rear Window". Are you wanting to deny these new subscribers this opportunity? ML

No, sorry, leo. You are quite wrong on the programming of TCM. When it even comes CLOSE to the horror that was the 'new and improved' AMC, I will be the first to let you know.

You are wrong. The mix is very good, there isn't always a movie I like, but then there are festivals like this last month that make every exorbitant dollar I pay the monopolistic Cablevision worth it. Okay, well almost.

To those of us who won't get a satellite dish just to have forty more poker and reality channels, TCM is THE only decent movie channel amongst the 57 channels of crap on the air (of 'family' cable) right now. Agreed? THE ONLY DECENT MOVIE CHANNEL.

So please don't imply that a human being who, in this day and age of indifference and offshoring and illiteracy and the inability to speak English and rudeness, PERSONALLY COMES to this board to answer questions and take suggestions BACK to the PTB, should be "let go".

IF you do not like the lineup of TCM, leo, change the channel.

It never seems to fail. Everytime a negative appears on the boards ol' gloom and doom leo comes out of the woodwork and spews his negative thoughts.

Perhaps we should "let him go".

Mongo

Mr. 666, you are quite right with your assessment of "OMG I pay $130 a month for cable and the premium channels all show the same boring crap EXCEPT for TCM," which I watch even more religiously than I do EWTN, hehe.

How many times has The Sum of All Fears been on in the past three months?! ...same goes for K19 - The Widowmaker and enough of Enough, too!

And of course we can always count on two versions of LOTR being on at the same time.

Thank God for TCM.

TO bonsi, stoney & classic- I and the other 2 are doing just about that--You others can watch the same old flicks(excellent as some are) but, my retentive powers are still intact. I as many others are-switching channels.

It's as simple & complex as that!

I don't mind that films are scheduled a few times in a few weeks or even days. My schedule is such that I can't always be watching at a specific time, and I think it's great that TCM advertises a movie and then gives us a few chances to see it.

And, well, there is usually something different to see in any really good movie. Concentrate on a supporting performance, listen to the music....isolate some of the elements. I enjoy seeing a movie multiple times and I have all my retentive powers.

Seen once is not necessarily "seen" - you may have watched the movie....but you didn't see everything about it.

My question is--Why does anyone feel the need to post on a message board of a cable channel they never watch? I don't understand that. I don't go to the Spike TV boards or USA network or Fox TV boards. I just go to boards of shows/channels that I like to watch. Is the reason is that that person gets a perverse pleasure out of nasty responses they get? Or does that person feel like they are superior in some way if they put down what others like to watch? I wonder if anyone---ANYONE---who posts here knows the answer?

And, we have one person in this thread (no, not the poor soul who originated it) who seems to think that he is the center of the Universe, and TCM should cater especially to him. He can't read, he can't write, and he has undoubtedly worn out his welcome at any other message board sites on the Internet and this one is his last resort...poor baby. TCM should open up a store and sell cheese to go with his whine. Maybe he'd manage a compliment for that! ;)ML

okay. okay. now I didn't post my orginal post to enrage anyone. I understand where classicsfan and j are coming from, so I'll try to remember that not everyone on this board is out on school vacation and don't always see the program when it is on.

It's worse than I thought - now same film on very next day:'Some like it Hot?' - I just like it right! Whomever programs same flick the next day - should be let go! I pay over a hundred dollars a month and for what? Only item worth watching later is '451' and oh, any negative comments; just say them SILENTLY, like the ridiculousness on later.

I believe Some Like it Hot was part of the Essentials, which they do (and have been for at least a couple of months) been putting on every Saturday at 8 and the next day, Sunday at 6. That would explain why you and many others saw that movie the next day. I think that they are going back to showing the Essentials only once, though, as I recall seeing in the schedules for upcoming months.

Now why say that? Don't you think and weigh more than one thought at a time? Negativity - why because I have an opinion shared by many more than you think, namely that tcm as many more cable stations show same flicks over & over. And get used to it: TCM just a'int what it used to be!!!

"Sixmorereasons", thank you for your mature understanding concerning why TCM repeats certain Classics. I felt sure that if it was explained, you would be able to adopt a broader perspective.

Unfortunately, we have a terrorist in our midst whose only purpose in posting with us is to hijack threads like yours and draw attention to himself by being as critical of TCM as he possibly can. I'm sure that you can also see why so many of us find him very offensive. We hope that you will keep posting with us....no one in this thread was upset with you. :)ML

You know, leo, you remind me of a poster on another board I frequent on mysteries. He constantly crows about how intelligent, rich and successful he is with his own computer business. Now, of late, he has branched out into misogyny. All this, at a board designed to talk about mysteries.

I am all for going off topic, in fact, this is off topic. At yet another board on radio and film, I was censured for going off topic, and I ask indulgence for this post.

But to my point. While just about everyone here is very civil, very thoughtful, and very well spoken, you came here with tales of your editorial prowess. Now, even an idiot knows that someone can plug 'author' into Google and come up with an author of SOME book which no one has read, and then use that name to post on a movie board. Your posts included and invited insults. I'm impressed that your retentive powers are still intact, but so, sir, are mine.

I too am at fault many times, in that my New Yawk language can be coarse. I tend not to write by halves - if I dislike something I, unfortunately, usually don't hide that fact. On the other hand, if something or someone needs a compliment, I am more than effusive in my praise. And TCMprogrammer deserved more than a few compliments this month, and you, sir, were way off base with your implication on his behalf.

Finally, I now no longer believe you are whom you pretend to be. No writer could (or would) construct a sentence as poorly as you have here, and push the 'send' button. By the way, back in your original 'Doris Day' post, the correct word is 'interpret', not 'interrupt'. I won't bother posting to you any longer, I think your sole aim here is disruption.

You, sir, are a troll.

I know that I'll never complain about the titles that get repeated. It took my local cable company several years before they offered TCM. By that time, I'm sure that some of the titles aired were overly-familiar to those who enjoyed TCM since Day 1, but they were new to me (not Rear Window, though; this was one of the few classics I saw in the theatre, during the waning days of "revival houses" in the 80s). There are still many films that I forget to set my VCR for, even though I try to utilize TCM's Remind Me feature as often as possible. So, due to many forms of absent-mindedness, I'm always grateful that TCM gives me second chances (or third, or fourth . . ) to catch most classics.

Hey Leo--you were the one who told us to keep our thought "silent--like the ridiculousness on later tonight." Maybe I was a bit hasty in asking you to go elsewhere, but I WILL NOT have anyone, who delights in **** me off, tell me what to think. END OF DISCUSSION.

Interesting thread - I appreciate the people who are coming to the defense of TCM on this, yet I realize many people don't generally like it when a film is repeated.

As for "Some Like it Hot" and the other Essentials - yes, they play on Saturday nights at 8, then repeat Sunday at 6. Our goal with The Essentials is to reach out to people who probaby aren't well represented on these boards - the people who are just being introduced to classic movies. So, we're playing the "key" classics enough times to introduce them (we hope) to new audiences.

The one film that has aired more than I'd like is "Rear Window," but when we do particular festivals it just seems to fit in so well that it's tough to avoid (Crime Wave, James Stewart, Essentials, Grace Kelly, Hitchcock, Saul Bass - a couple of these are coming up later in the year).

But, even at that, we repeat much, much less than any other network out there. I used to work at a different channel where we played films as many as 45 times in a year.

To stonebrook - you belong on the farm. Don't stray too far cause you'll get swollowed up! I'll make this short and to the point: You like the same shows over and over- that's fine. With your intellect you need repeat performaces--And what have you created lately? Book? Film? No? Well then shut the hell up and go back to existing in your 1 dimensional world. If you want to say anything why get personal?

Gee leo you didn't even have the decency to acknowledge the informative response by the tcmprogrammer or compliment stoneyburke on his well composed post (and may I add, something you can learn from).

By the way who is stonebrook?

Mongo