Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Those Small Performances in Films That You Love

TomJH

5 minutes ago, pierce said:

Claire Dodd as Sophie Teal in Roberta (1935).

I like her best in Footlight Parade (1933), as Vivian Rich, who inspires several good one-liners from Joan Blondell, one an incomplete sentence that rhymes with the character's name, and later the famous, "As long as there are sidewalks, you'll have a job!"

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Sherry Jackson in Come Next Spring

Come Next Spring (1956) - IMDb

Young Sherry delivered a touching, sensitive performance as the shy mute daughter of Ann Sheridan and Steve Cochran who has an affinity towards animals. A lovely little bucolic tale about redemption that deserves to be better known. For those who haven't seen it there is a remastered copy of the film currently on You Tube.

• Like 2

EJ4R5v_WkAAW43J.jpg

Keenan Wynn as Col. Bat Guano in Dr. Strangelove (1964).  And  ...

24806-5330.jpg

Paul Tamarin as Lt. B. 'Goldie' Goldberg in Dr. Strangelove (1964).  This performance cracks me up every time.

• Like 2

Jack-Hawkins-in-Zulu-Premium-Photograph-

Jack Hawkins as Reverend Otto Witt in Zulu (1964).  And ...

Jack-Hawkins-%2526-Ulla-Jacobsson-in-Zul

Ulla Jacobsson as Margaretta Witt in Zulu (1964).  And ...

3318053331_29e982b84f.jpg

Nigel Green as Colour Sgt. Bourne) in Zulu (1964).

• Like 1

Y'know, in mentioning Telly Savalas' character in BIRDMAN OF ALCATRAZ  in ARI's thread about Telly and then seeing the movie on TCM later yesterday, I have to add here the "small" performance of NEVILLE BRAND as the jailer Bull Ransom.  

Sepiatone

• Like 3

Lee Fierro as Mrs. Kintner in  Jaws .Best remembered for her role as Mrs Kintner in her famous scene in Jaws where she walks up to the police chief (Roy Scheider) and slaps him in public for his poor decision to allow the beaches of Amity Island to remain open after the first attack.Mrs Fierro died in 2020 from covid 19,she was 91.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2022 at 11:26 AM, Dargo said:

And secondly, as the blustery political candidate in 1962's The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance:

The+Man+Who+Shot+Liberty+Valance+13.jpg

Truly, Carradine wasn't the candidate.  Langhorne was.  But Carradine's Starbuckle was that man's spokesperson/promoter.

And Carradine's  Hatfield in STAGECOACH was a favorite "small" performance of mine too.

I'd have mentioned THE GRAPES OF WRATH, but Carradine's role and perormance there really wasn't that small.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Truly, Carradine wasn't the candidate.  Langhorne was.  But Carradine's Starbuckle was that man's spokesperson/promoter.

And Carradine's  Hatfield in STAGECOACH was a favorite "small" performance of mine too.

I'd have mentioned THE GRAPES OF WRATH, but Carradine's role and perormance there really wasn't that small.  ;) 

Sepiatone

I  would guess my first introduction (I was 18) to John Carradine was as Dr. Bernardo in Woody Allen's EVERTHING YOU ALWAYS WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT SEX BUT WERE AFRAID TO ASK (1972). He was a geezer in that flick but he's the actor/scene I remember most. I stopped liking Allen movies by the late 80's. 

Kurtwood Smith in Dead Poets Society (1989)
Kurtwood Smith as Robert Sean Leonard's demanding father in DEAD POET'S SOCIETY (1989)
The scene when he finds his son dead is an outstanding expression of unbearable anguish. He is underappreciated IMHO. 
  • Like 1

MV5BN2RkNDg3NjUtOTA3Yy00MjJjLWExZTAtYmYy

Rod Steiger as Victor Ippolitovich Komarovsky in Doctor Zhivago (1965).  And ...

d4737abe36eb877631a418a98cf6af60.jpg

Geraldine Chaplin as Antonina “Tonya” Alexandrovna Gromeka Zhivago in Doctor Zhivago (1965)

• Like 2

kingrat_045pyxurz.jpg

Patrick O'Neal (left) as Sgt. Max in King Rat (1965).  And ...

king-rat-james-fox-denholm-elliott-hamil

Denholm Elliott (second left) as Lieutenant Colonel G.D. Larkin in King Rat (1965).  And ...

gerald-sim-john-mills-dale-ishimoto-king

Gerald Sim (left) as Lieutenant Colonel Jones in King Rat (1965).

• Like 3

LO-Counsel-Stecker.jpg

Liberace as Mr. Starker in The Loved One (1965).  And ..

loved19.jpg?w=900

John Gielgud as Sir Francis Hinsley in The Loved One (1965).  And ..

the-loved-one-1965-fragman_10191444-9520

Ayllene Gibbons as Mrs. Joyboy in The Loved One (1965).

• Like 1

Ernest Thesiger had meaty supporting roles in The Old Dark House and  Bride of Frankenstein. He was also wonderful in small roles in The Man in the White Suit and Last Holiday. (He was the grandson of the first Lord Chelmsford and nephew of the second Lord, who suffered a famous defeat against the Zulus.)

1951-the-man-in-the-white-suit-015-ernes

As Sir John in The Man in the White Suit

• Like 2

I couldn't find any good pictures from the films but Ernest Thesiger was also very good in two other small parts:  As Mr. Hickson in The Horse's Mouth (1958) and as Henry Hadlock in Sons and Lovers (1960).

• Like 2

MV5BNWJkZmJlZmYtZmJhZi00ZWQ5LWFiNGQtODJl

8687da190256eeae102e352108164dbc.jpg

Julia Foster as Gilda/"Mrs. Elkins" in Alfie (1966).  And ...

71GTTajag6L._AC_SX466_.jpg

Vivien Merchant as Lily Clamacraft in Alfie (1966).  And ...

064273e84a2df29a4ddc953c3fa785c0.jpg

Shelley Winters as Ruby in Alfie (1966).  

• Like 2