Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Those Small Performances in Films That You Love

TomJH

7 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

450px-Uncle_Dursley_2_-_Edited.png

RICHARD GRIFFITHS as Uncle Vernon Dursley in Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (2001).

Great actor. The first time I saw him was as Bottom, in the RSC Midsummer Night's Dream, at the Aldwych Theatre in 1977, then a couple of years later in Love's Labour's Lost and Once in a Lifetime. 

I once sat next to him at the Almeida Theatre.

p03vdsfy.jpg

Richard Griffiths as Bottom, with Marjorie Bland as Titania.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Swithin said:

Great actor. The first time I saw him was as Bottom, in the RSC Midsummer Night's Dream, at the Aldwych Theatre in 1977, then a couple of years later in Love's Labour's Lost and Once in a Lifetime. 

I once sat next to him at the Almeida Theatre.

p03vdsfy.jpg

Richard Griffiths as Bottom, with Marjorie Bland as Titania.

I was fortunate to work with Richard the year before he passed away and got the opportunity to speak to him about his role as Uncle Monty in Withnail and I.  "Ah, yes ... Monty ... a man of great conviction."

• Like 1

Betty Baskcomb in The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)

Hitchcock's films are filled with excellent small performances. Betty Baskomb is the organist in the Ambrose Chapel scene (which I think is one of the most brilliant scenes ever filmed!)

ea41c1a19b56e8b36ace7c0bec7a4eb1.png

John Spencer at Detective Dan Lipranzer in Presumed Innocent.  Can't find a photo that matches this scene:

960full-presumed-innocent-screenshot.jpg

Det. Lipranzer : How ya doin'? Christmas present.

[takes out glass which was key piece of evidence that went missing during the trial] 

Rusty Sabich : You're sticking your neck out pretty far on this one, Lip.

Det. Lipranzer : It was *them* that **** up. Remember when they came around and gathered *all* the evidence? The glass wasn't there, I took it down to Dickerman. The next day, I get a call. The test is done, I can come pick up my glass. But when I went down there, Molto had already signed the receipt 'returned to evidence.' I guess they figured I'd put it back. Only, I got no reason to put it anyplace since it ain't my Goddamned case anymore. So I tossed the thing in my drawer. I figure sooner or later someone's gotta ask me about it. Nobody did.

Rusty Sabich : You think I killed her.

Det. Lipranzer : The lady was bad news.

18 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

de2b035854e7f50b681469ef994e12e8.jpg

TIMOTHY SPALL as Peter “Scabbers” Pettigrew in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004).

While I must admit I've never watched any of the Harry Potter flicks, I DO have to say that if I were casting the next version of The Hunchback of Notre Dame....

4 hours ago, Dargo said:

While I must admit I've never watched any of the Harry Potter flicks, I DO have to say that if I were casting the next version of The Hunchback of Notre Dame....

The Potter films can be a tad annoying, especially the latter ones.  But there are some good performances here and there down in the supporting roles.

On 6/9/2022 at 11:07 PM, ryl00 said:

WINONA RYDER in Black Swan (2010)

When she suddenly appeared in that movie, I actually said aloud, "Woah, Winona Ryder!" from my theatre seat. The woman sitting next to me turned and said, "I know, right?" It could have been a Meet Cute in a great love story, but actually we never spoke again.

On 6/10/2022 at 3:20 AM, Bogie56 said:

The Potter films can be a tad annoying, especially the latter ones.  But there are some good performances here and there down in the supporting roles

The kids who are the target audience don't appreciate it, but the adult roles in the series were largely populated by a who's who of prestige British actors: Ralph Finnes, Alan Rickman, Richard Harris, Maggie Smith, Gary Oldman, Robbie Coltrane,  Jon Hurt, Rhys Ifans, Kenneth Branagh, Michael Gambon, Brendan Gleaon, Bill Nighy, David Thewlis, Emma Thompson, Imelda Staunton, Timothy Spall, Julie Walters. Sorta surprised  Anthony Hopkins never turned up.